allergens in all-natural products

orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
So I've been wondering why avg doesn't work so well for me. Since I couldn't use it for my hair, I've been using it for my face. This morning, I splashed some food grade avg on my face, followed by TE fragrance free lotion. When I looked in the mirror 5 minutes later, my face was bright red! I rinsed it off, then tested both to see which one caused it. It was the AVG!

I can't be allergic to AVG, though, since I use it in lotions & hair products. The AVG I bought (lily of the valley) has carrageenan in it, so I googled that - turns out to be a pretty common allergen.

i also have to look out for lavender (can't use it). i'm mildly allergic to almonds if i eat them, but almond e.o. is fine as long as i don't use too much of it.

have you found any ingredients that you have to look out for? since we're using natural products, w/ lots of plant-based ingredients, that aren't (thank goodness!) tested on animals, it would be good to know.

eta: Here's a link to emulsifiers & stabilizers (although w/ a negatively baised bent), and here's what it says about carrageenan:

Fibre extracted from seaweed, used as a setting agent. It has recently been linked with cancer because it may become contaminated when ethylene oxide is added to an inferior product, this results in ethylene chlorohydrin forming, a highly carcinogenic compound; linked to toxic hazards, including ulcers and cancer; the most serious concerns relate to degraded carrageenan, which is not a permitted additive; however, native carrageenan, which is used, may become degraded in the gut. See 400.

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Most of the ingredients that cause me issues are chemical in nature, but I do have some issues with lavendar (lavendin in particular) too. So I can totally relate. I have to be careful with anything I use and make sure I patch test prior to using it on my hair. Seaweeds are touch and go, as well as ylang ylang and other flowers. Go figure.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rhosyn_durhosyn_du Posts: 99Registered Users
    I discovered the other day that I've developed an allergy to one of the ingredients in a tea I used to drink all the time. After determining that my hair hates vinegar, I wanted to experiment with different rinses. I went with this tea because I had it in the house and it has a rooibos base.

I brewed it normal strength, and then used it as a rinse after my shampoo bar. After about a minute, my scalp started itching, so I grabbed my 'poo bar and started washing to get the tea off. By the time I got it all off, I had painful, red streaks everywhere on my skin that the tea had touched. Needless to say, I won't be doing that again.
    2c, fine/medium with a few coarse grays, medium porosity, normal elasticity, protein-sensitive

Modified CG
    Low-Poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Shampoo
    RO: L'Oreal EverCurl Conditioner
    LOC: KCKT,
    Nightblooming Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil, & Nightblooming Panacea or Freya Hair Salve
    Styling: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Finishing Paste
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    HMMMM....I had a similar reaction to the Lily of the Desert Aloe gel on my face. Strangely, I have used the FOTE gel on my face without problems.

Isn't that odd, since you would think that carageenan would cause sensitivity.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    pigreyhound, that's strange about FOTE - it has carrageenan also? rymorg2, I didn't know ylang ylang caused allergies also - good to know. And rhosyn_du, it's weird how allergies develop out of no where. i became allergic to almonds after eating almond butter every morning for 6 months.

i guess for now it's good to spot test products w/ known allergens & "mystery" ingredients.

• pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    orange wrote: »
    pigreyhound, that's strange about FOTE - it has carrageenan also? rymorg2, I didn't know ylang ylang caused allergies also - good to know. And rhosyn_du, it's weird how allergies develop out of no where. i became allergic to almonds after eating almond butter every morning for 6 months.

i guess for now it's good to spot test products w/ known allergens & "mystery" ingredients.

Oh, sorry! I don't think the FOTE does have carrageenan, I was "typing out loud" and since the FOTE has more synthetic ingredients (although I think in tiny amounts) you would think the FOTE would be more likely to cause irritation on the face.

Sorry about that....:oops:
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    not at all, that's good to know! :)

it's funny how sometimes the natural products cause more harm than the synthetic ones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file