We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

All in One Spray (UPDATED)

I'm very excited! :D I came up with a spray that does it all (for my hair). I have taken elements and ingredients from many recipes on this board and now I have a spray that is a Leave in Conditioner, Curl Enhancing, and Spray Gel. I used this today by itself and it is just perfect for me. Good curl definition, low frizz, and just enough hold!

1 cup hot water
2 Tbsp. Conditioner
2 tsp. Salt (epsom, sea salt, any salt)
1 Tbsp. Herbal Oil (or any oil)
1/3 cup gel

Put in spray bottle, shake well, and refrigerate

Recipes I used to as a base for this spray: Curl Enhancing Leave In, Cold Weather Leave In; Any of the many "Spray Gel" recipes. (all found here on the recipe board. I'm not sure they still exist) Thanks to you all! :D

Updated 7/16/06: Due to the summer humidity I've altered this a bit. Here is my "summer" version. Basically more gel, less moisture as my hair is not dry right now. (this is also discussed below but thought anyone new here shouldn't have to wade through it all to get it)

1 cup hot water
2 Tbsp. Conditioner
2 tsp. Salt (I used 1 tsp Epsom + 1 tsp Sea salt)
¼ tsp. Honey
1/3 cup gel
1 Tbsp Aloe Vera
Put in spray bottle, shake well, and refrigerate
Chin length 3A Prodcuts: Burt's Bees More Moisture Shampoo/Conditioner; All in One Spray ; searching for ideal styling products

Comments

• WKEWKE Posts: 10Registered Users
    Great to find something that works for you don't you think ?
    I 've made the flaxseedgel and added aloe, glycerine, epsom salt and jojobaoil to it (also eo of lavender) I've used it the first time today and must say I'm also pretty pleased with the result, but I must see how it works out the other days.
    One off these days I shall try to make your recipe also and see what is best for me because I have a totally different hairtype than yours

wke
    Fine 2 B hair
  • musica_almusica_al Posts: 94Registered Users
    WKE wrote:
    I 've made the flaxseedgel and added aloe, glycerine, epsom salt and jojobaoil to it (also eo of lavender)wke

I thought about doing the flaxseed gel and adding my other ingredients but it seemed too much effort for me (I'm kinda lazy :wink: ) so decided on just using ordinary gel. Glad you like yours. What's your hairtype?
    Chin length 3A Prodcuts: Burt's Bees More Moisture Shampoo/Conditioner; All in One Spray ; searching for ideal styling products
  • WKEWKE Posts: 10Registered Users
    my hairtype is fine :cry: 2B hair so my major problem is searching for less frizz without weighting my hair down now I must see how the flaxseedgel turns out the next couple of days.

wke
    Fine 2 B hair
    Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and is found in many products (including Jessicurl brand products). It is a curl enhancer and not damaging. Some people find it drying but I have not had any problems. I don't use cider so I can't say about that.
    Update! I am completely LOVING this spray!! It is exactly what I was looking for- one product! (as mentioned above- I'm lazy :) ) Plus, it does what I want and that is good curl definition, low to no frizz, and holds through the day. The only other new step I take in my daily routine is I am leaving some conditioner in after my shower. I am in HG heaven and better yet it's homemade! :lol:
  • MaudieMaudie Posts: 508Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, Musica_al, I am definitely going to brew this up. I'm a little hesitant about the oil, but apparently it doesn't make your hair greasy?
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime
    Regular CO-Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free
    Deep CO-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Shampoo-Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless once a week
    Cream-Garnier Fructis Sleek $ Shine Leave-In Conditioning
    Gels-LA Looks Sport

Going silver-last hair color 4/10/15
    It doesn't in my hair. You could try starting with 1/2 tbsp and see how that works. It wasn't enough for me. Just experiment is what I did- adjust to what you need.Good luck! :)

ETA: experimenting goes for all ingredients- I made and dumped out several batches of this before I got the one I love. Good thing its cheap to make!
    Thanks. I'll give it a try next week and let you know. :)
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime

Gels-LA Looks Sport

• CurlGirl2005CurlGirl2005 Posts: 12Registered Users
    musica_al - I noticed that one of your original recipes contained lemon juice. What properties does lemon juice add and why did you take it out of your recipe? Thanks.
    Actually I don't know what the lemon juice is for. It was in the original recipe I found on the recipe board (by Halfwavy Half Curly). I ended up leaving it out because I couldn't explain it and I haven't noticed any difference. Maybe someone else knows what it does??
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just posted a question to you about the brand of gel in one of the hair forums (2b or 3a, can't remember!) and came snooping in here.

I was fixing to order Jessicurl's Awe Spray and decided to mix up your spray first. Wish I had some coconut oil to make it smell like hers :lol: . I've got some jojoba oil which I'll use and grab one of the million gels I rarely use to put in it.

I'll report back on this!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
    I just used Tresemme gel or Dep sport that I had lying around. I haven't experimented much to see if it makes a difference. I' ve started using Kiss My Face conditioners and may give their gel a try next batch. I know there are a few people here who like that brand a lot.
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    where did you buy the epsom salt? and is it expensive?
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
    I found the epsom salt in the first aid section of the grocery store. It is commonly used for soaking injuries I think. It is very cheap. I got a pint container for $1-2 and only use a couple tsp each time so it will last forever!
  • flouffflouff Posts: 29Registered Users
    wow, great recipe - i'm going to try it too! thanks for posting your successful tinkering! :)

do you think you HAVE to keep this in the refrig? i wonder if it would really go bad...?
    2b/3a
    modified CG since 10/05
    products i definitely love: deva one c, deva low-poo, deva SIF
    looking for that HG styler... still.
    pw = deva
  • cornflower5cornflower5 Posts: 30Registered Users
    Great recipe. Been having trouble with frizz and dry ends and just started adding honey to my conditioner and am loving the results. Can anyone give a recommendation about what kind or oil you use if you have tried this recipe?
    2c/3a
    Back on sulfates and cones! HE TTwisted Condish, HE Color Me poo, Curls Spiral Curl Cream, sometimes Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier.
    The oil I started out using was just regular olive oil (for cooking). Now I'm using an herbal oil called Africas Best Ultimate Herbal Oil. I got it at Walmart and have also seen it at Family Dollar stores. Here is a link to a website with more info: Website Here

As for refrigeration, I don't know. I've always kept a small travel size spray bottle in the bathroom with no trouble. I use that in about 1 week. The rest I've kept in the refrigerator simply because the original recipe I started with (here) said to. I have read that most homemade products should be refrigerated because there are no preservatives as there are in commercially made products.

I've had many people tell me they may try it. I'm interested how it turns out for you and if you change the recipe any, what works best. Someone may stumble upon something that works even better for me, too :D
    oops double post :oops:
    I tried this for the first time today. I CO washed and just used FOTE gel yesterday. Today I was going to CO wash again, but ran out of time. So I just sprayed on the all in one, combed, flipped hair over and sprayed and then plopped for a bit. My hair was defined and stayed in place. However, when it was completely dry it felt pretty producty and volumey (I don't think that's a word). I didn't add quite as much herbal oil as you do, Musica_al. Do you think that might be the problem?
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime

Gels-LA Looks Sport

You could try more oil. I started out with 1/2 tbsp and it wasn't enough. Either that or cut back to 1 tsp salt. Somewhere else, someone posted that it was drying to their hair. Good Luck!

Edited to add: I have also never used this without showering/conditioning first, so it is always on wet hair. I have never used just this product in the morning. That may have an effect on how it works, too.
    I put in a little more oil in the mix and today I have soft waves and some curls. It's not real defined, but I can stand that better than the producty feeling. I am going to tweak this a bit next time with a little less Epsom salt. This is probably best sprayed on in the shower because my floor got sort of oily. :?
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime

Gels-LA Looks Sport

I made up a batch and put it in a big bottle to put in the fridge, then filled up one of the Jessicurl trial size spray bottles that I saved ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gelebration-Spray-p-101.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gelebration-spray]Gelebration Spray[/buylink]) to keep in the bathroom (no problems with that).

Here's what I used for the "variables":
    Jojoba oil
    Thermasilk gel
    VO5 MM Strawberries & Cream

So far I haven't noticed any curl enhancing properties for me, but it's been great for spritzing on the ends of my hair once it's dry to give them a bit more definition.

I can't wait to try other "variables"! Great way to use up forgotten products, too!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    So far, I really like this stuff, but I like it best for second day hair. It didn't give me tons of definition when I used it on wet hair (first day), but the next day, when I comb my hair dry, spray it on over and under and plop for a few minutes, I actually have the most curls I ever have. It also gives a lot of volume. So, Lavender, this may be your ticket to volume and second day hair! :D
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime

Gels-LA Looks Sport

On second thought (or is it third thought?), the vote is still out. Last night my hair felt so dry, just parched and it was like a tumbleweed this morning. We'll see. I still like the idea of a spray that revives, but (like I said), I will have to tweak this one.
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime

Gels-LA Looks Sport

I dunno, Maudie, my hair looks like a disaster when I wake up :lol: . Even with a satin pillowcase, my hair always looks like I just went twenty rounds with a windstorm in the desert. It's dry-looking, frizzy and just a mess! So far, I've never been able to accomplish second day hair unless I'm staying put at home and I just put it up.

I'm glad this stuff is working so well for you! I can't wait till it's gone to play around with a different gel in the formula :lol: .
    CG-modified since 4/05
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I can never ever do 2nd day hair. I must do some wild things while sleeping because my hair could never be put back into place. My 2nd day hair is a baseball cap while going to pick up my coffee and paper on the weekend :D
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • princesscurlyprincesscurly Posts: 81Registered Users
    I made this two days ago. Ilove it! I haven't used it alone though. I used it 1st day ontop of dove define texture molding creme. Second day as a refresher and for the first time ever I had wearable second day hair! I even got to wear it down that is something I usually don't even do for first day hair. i only made 1 change, I cut the oil amount to half. My hair is too easily weighed down. Im officially in love.
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    i used your spray! i liked the shine it added, but my hair is so thick that it just didn't provide enough hold. you can see what i mean in my pics.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• Suzi-QSuzi-Q Posts: 20Registered Users
    Musica-al, I made a batch of your spray recently & my DH (a 3A/B) wanted to try it, so I gave him a bottle. He loves it! He co-washes everyday, so then he sprays this into his hand and scrunches it all over and air-dries. He's been getting these beautiful ringlets in the back of his shoulder-length hair, and nice springy spirals everywhere else!

As for me, I'm such a PJ that it's hard for me to stick to one routine :oops:, but the times that I did try your spray, I had nice definition. Next time I make a batch, I'm going to use the Suave Coconut cond instead of the V05 Strawberry one, and I think I'll use it more often...something about that Strawberry scent gets to me after awhile. Thanks again for your recipe :D
    3A/B; mid-back length when dry; brownish-reddish (color-treated)
    CG since June 2002
    My Photo Album
    MySpace
  • lanamlanam Posts: 41Registered Users
    just had to post and say i have *never* seen my hair with *spirals* :shock:
    needs a little more frizz control but WOW i have spiral-ly curls!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file