desperate and need your advice

avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users
Hi all of you amazing people that know what you're doing with your hair!

Help!!

I have been using Burt's Bees and Avalon for the past year. (My scalp itches really bad if I use Pantene or Finesse or the likes).

I *think* I have 3a hair, maybe 2c hair; depending on the weather.

Anyway, I found this site 2 days ago on Wednesday, and believe me, I have spent HOURS on this site since then; reading and trying to learn. I think I'd like to become a modified CG, using natural products.

Yesterday I decided to do a DT using a recipe I thought I read about on this site. Yogurt, bananas, and olive oil.

So here's what I did, and then I'll tell you the problem.
On Tuesday I had washed my hair with the last of my Burt's Bees shampoo.
On Thursday I co-washed with Giovanni TTTT. Rinsed completely out. Then I did an ACV with 1 tsp honey rinse, but didn't rinse it out. Squeezed my hair out, then put on the DT of yogurt (abt 1/2 c), 1 banana, and 2 tsp olive oil. Left it on for 1 hour, then rinsed.

First, it was DANG hard to get the banana out.

My problem is, after the DT my hair was really oily. It curled okay, and it didn't bother me too much as I thought it was probably a good moisturizing treatment. Well today of course it is still oily. My avatar picture shows what it looks like, oily all over.

I HAVE A HAIR CUT appointment tomorrow with "Gregory at Atmosphere Salon" in Phoenix (this is a HUGE step for me, paying $$$ for a hair cut).

So I need this oil out! He is going to do a dry cut on my hair. I have read a lot on this board; I read the thread about olive oil, and it seems like if you use too much it is hard to get out.

I'm outta shampoo, so I used one of my natural soap bars on my hair just barely and it got 1/3 of the oil out. (oh, I did try a ACV rinse this morning; didn't help at all).

Any help? What should I do before my 1 pm appointment tomorrow???
Sulfate- and non-water-soluble silicone-free since 8/2008

Just about medium everything:
medium texture, low-medium porosity, medium density
Day One hair: 2c
Day Two hair: 2a
2c-3a in the summer time

Protein sensitive. Still looking for
products...
used to have curls, now it's consistently just waves...

Comments

• Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi, and welcome! If you really need to cleanse/clarify and have no shampoo to use, you can use baking soda. Put a small amount in warm water and use that to "wash" your hair. After that you would definitely want to do a vinegar rinse to balance the ph. And-it can be drying, so, depending on your hair, you may need extra moisture. This is one person's instructions from an interesting blog:
    How do I go shampoo free?
    Use one tablespoon of baking soda per one cup of warm or hot water. You can double or triple the recipe if you have very, very long or thick hair. But do not use more baking soda, your hair will become hard, dry or feel brittle if you use too much. You can put this mix in a recycled shampoo bottle, and apply to your hair with warm water.
    The mix should not feel gritty, and should be a liquid. If you have very short or thick hair, you may find it easier to make a paste with a tablespoon of baking soda (or less) and sprinkle it over very wet hair and massage in. Otherwise, spray or pour the mixture onto your hair and work it in. Let it sit about a minute, and then rinse. I personally find it easiest to make a liquidy paste in the palm of my hand with about half a tablespoon, and then sprinkle and massage into dripping wet hair. I have very short hair, so I use less. Experiment and see what works best for you, there are no official rules. For a typical rinse, make up a solution of one to two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) per cup of water. Apply to wet hair, massage into scalp and rinse off with cold water. Please note, you don't always have to apply a rinse with every wash! I personally find I only need to do a rinse every 2-3 washes.
    HTH-good luck with the cut!
  • avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users
    Thanks so much, I'll try that tonight.

I think with all this oil, I have plenty of moisture now. But does moisture come and go that quickly?

I was reading another thread about the stretch test; I'll have to go back and see what category my hair falls in. When I stretch a wet hair 20%, it comes back to shape. I can stretch a (different) wet hair 50% but it won't come back to shape. And I have to stretch more than that for it to snap.

2c-3a in the summer time

products...
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If your hair stretches and comes back to shape, it's probably good with protein and moisture. If it doesn't stretch/breaks, it would need moisture, stretches but doesn't return, it needs protein. Oil actually doesn't provide moisture, but it really seals in the moisture that you have or that you use in your treatments. I would think using baking soda, especially when your hair is so coated to start, shouldn't cause a problem....but I'm no expert, either. It's a great, natural clarifier IMO...:flower:
  • avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users
    Thank you so much for your help!

Your hair is gorgeous, btw!! That is my dream hair, if I could get my hair to grow. It just refuses to grow longer than just past my shoulders.

2c-3a in the summer time

products...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file