I saw Memoirs of a Geisha Today

CurlEEEECurlEEEE Posts: 308Registered Users
I thought it was very good and followed the book pretty closely. It good bad reviews so I was hesitant to drag hubby to see it, but he actually said he thought it was pretty good...even though he prefers action movies...I really can't say there was anything wrong with it, but I guess after seeing King Kong nothing can compare! I would give Memoirs 4 stars out of 5. It's good, but has a few flaws.
3A/3B (not really sure)/No Shampoo/Conditioner Only/Honey/Aussie Volumizer+condish/Biolage Gel/Plop/Diffuse/Spritz of Bed Head Maxxed Out
Password: CurlEEEE

Comments

• saythatthensaythatthen Posts: 3Registered Users
    I read the book. I hated the movie. It seemed so american-ized. I would have much preferred it to be in subtitles. It would have seemed more realistic. That was the only disappointing thing. I also, felt that it rushed through some parts. I understand why, the movie would have been 5 hours!! haha. Despite these things, it was really nice to put a face to all of the characters. :)
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Posts: 821Registered Users
    I'm reading the book right now. I thought the movie would have been in subtitles too, but oh well. The book is excellent so far. I can hardly put it down.
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I went in to the movie knowing that I wouldn't love it as much as the book. However, the movie was visually beautiful - which I looooove in a movie. I enjoyed both - seperately.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    i really loved this book--haven't seen the movie yet. i heard (might not be true) that some parts of Japan banned the movie because they had Chinese girls playing Japanese parts...just thought i'd put that out there!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    I watched this movie on DVD the other day...I thought it wasn't as good as the book at all. :P

• razicellirazicelli Posts: 139Registered Users
    Finished Memoirs in April and saw the DVD shortly afterwards. LOVED the book and the Movie. The book, as usual, was better, but the cinematography was sooo beautiful. The movie changes were understandable.

I believe the lead actress Sayuri was Korean, not Chinese.
    pw: wavehead
    3a/3b, 2b underneath M/Ciii, coarse crown
    HG: CK
    Currently BRHG, SIF
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    Ziyi Zhang (or Zhang Ziyi) plays Sayuri, she was born in beijing, china.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0955471/
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• razicellirazicelli Posts: 139Registered Users
    Yes, I stand corrected. I thought I had heard she was Korean, but guess I shoulda checked my facts first. Sorry.
    pw: wavehead
    3a/3b, 2b underneath M/Ciii, coarse crown
    HG: CK
    Currently BRHG, SIF
  • starinastarina Posts: 665Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I actually got the DVD months ago and have yet to watch it! However, I did read the back and thought it was excellent. Hope the movie does the book justice, whenever I get around to seeing it!
    I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Posts: 727Registered Users
    I always read the book before a movie comes out.

I have yet to find a movie better than the book.

I loved Memior of a geisha. Beautiful story.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file