Post Acutane Hair Changes

NaedriaNaedria Posts: 1Registered Users
I have had straight hair my whole life and after being on the acne drug Acutane over the winter my hair is starting to grow out curly......but only the bottom half of my head. Strange. After reading the curl type descriptions I would classify it as 2a or 2b...but a slightly tighter curl...when I blow dry my hair there are still very defined kinks/curls. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else who has taken Acutane, which I'm guessing is the cause of the hormonal change. Do you think the rest of my hair will catch up...I'm nervous that only the bottom of my hair will be curly while the top stays straight. I have long hair so i'd say the curly part now almost reaches my shoulders.

Comments

• SpunGoldSpunGold Posts: 454Registered Users
    Welcome Naedria!

I took Accutane several years ago (2005) but unfortunately it was before I started wearing my hair curly, so I can't comment as to the hair texture changes, unfortunately. I did notice a large amount of hair loss while I was taking it, which is normal, and I have thicker than average hair so it didn't bother me until it started growing out and sticking up everywhere. lol

Given how harshly Accutane affects the body, it would make sense that you could emerge from treatment with a diffent hair texture. I can't tell you whether or not the rest of your hair will 'catch up,' but a lot of us have several different curl patterns at a time, so what you're experiencing is normal, if that helps you feel any better.

You might want to post over in the general discussion forum to get more answers, or maybe the type 2 section to see how others deal with their waves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fia type: 3a/F/ii Pics! Updated 04/22/10
    CO Wash: Suave Coconut
    Leave-in: Deva Heaven in Hair
    Current Styler: Fuzzy Duck Gel
    finally at waist length!
  • chemocurlchemocurl Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey I've been on accutane - though not for acne - and now my hair is curly too - my hair is really short so it seems to be my whole head and not just the bottom half. I don't have any recomedations cuz I'm just learing who to dael with mine - Good luck!
  • shweezyshweezy Posts: 9Registered Users
    Did anyone notice if it made their hair dryer? I could be going on Accutane and am worried about how it will affect my hair, but if it makes the breakouts stop I am all for it!
    Waiting for long beautiful naturally curly hair!
  • SpunGoldSpunGold Posts: 454Registered Users
    shweezy wrote: »
    Did anyone notice if it made their hair dryer? I could be going on Accutane and am worried about how it will affect my hair, but if it makes the breakouts stop I am all for it!

Since I didn't really start paying attention to my hair until after Accutane, I can't really answer your question.. but based on how my skin & lips felt, plus the shedding I experienced, I would definitely recommend weekly deep treatments while you're on Accutane. Pay attention to your scalp too and watch out for flakes! It's rough, but it's worth it. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fia type: 3a/F/ii Pics! Updated 04/22/10
    CO Wash: Suave Coconut
    Leave-in: Deva Heaven in Hair
    Current Styler: Fuzzy Duck Gel
    finally at waist length!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file