I wanna love my waves but I just can't....**updated with pics link**

WannaLoveMyWavesWannaLoveMyWaves Posts: 53Registered Users
I have been reading and learning from this site for years. Unfortunately, the love hate relationship I have with my hair usually leans more toward the hate side of things; so, I have finally decided to post and ask for help.

My hair is a mixture of 2 b, c and 3 a. The underneath, back of my hair is 3 a; the front is 2b and the canopy varies by day. Through out I have 2 c hair mixed in. My dark ash blond hair is highlighted to help camoflauge the gray and is usually frizzy and dry.

Right now I am using DevaCare No Poo and One Condition followed by Shikai natural everday conditioner for a leave-in and Ouidad climate control. I have been going without shampoo for about 2 weeks now, after straightening for a year and I am getting restless with the lack of uniform definition of my frizzy waves.

For second day hair I am using Mister Right mixed with a bit of broccoli seed oil and Curls Godess Glaze.

I have been searching through all the forums for product help and have gotten myself all confused. Any advice, comments, and encouragement will be greatly appreciated.
Mixture of type 2 hair
First day of Wavy CG method: 08/22/08

http://public.fotki.com/WannaLoveMyWaves/
PW: waves

Comments

• helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users
    Don't give up! A lot of the work is trial and error - finding out what routine, products, and ingredients work for you. Also, give it some time to see results.

When I first started out I thought I could go straight CG. Once my waves looked lifeless and greasy, I found out modified CG was the way to go. Now, I'm wading through a sea of products trying to find out the combos and methods that work for my hair.

Maybe a particular product or ingredient isn't agreeing with you. Try excluding one product at a time to narrow it down. For frizz, try a weekly deep treatment to bombard your hair with moisture.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Your conditioner contains Amodimethicone, which you need a shampoo with coco-betaine to remove. All in all that particular 'cone isn't horrible, but some people have trouble with it. I'm guessing you're one of those people!

I would go back to a sulfate shampoo for a one timer, get your hair completely clean of anything that'll build up. You want to ditch anything that's got 'cones or 'xanes in them, as these ingredients build up on your hair and prevent your natural oils from penetrating and doing their job. They also require harsh sulfates to remove, which strip your hair of it's natural oils, which is a bad thing.

A lot of people go without shampoo at all, preferring instead to wash with conditioner. That doesn't work for me, so instead I use a shampoo that doesn't have any sulfates in it. I alternate before two conditioners, both 'cone free: Suave Naturals Vanilla, and Tigi Moisture Maniac. I comb my hair only when in it's saturated with conditioner, and use a leave in conditioner (or CurlKeeper), and follow with a medium hold combination of gels that help my curls (well, waves, mostly) clump together and hold their definition. The products in my sig are all CG friendly and most of them are pretty cheap and easily accessible.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been reading and learning from this site for years. Unfortunately, the love hate relationship I have with my hair usually leans more toward the hate side of things; so, I have finally decided to post and ask for help.

My hair is a mixture of 2 b, c and 3 a. The underneath, back of my hair is 3 a; the front is 2b and the canopy varies by day. Through out I have 2 c hair mixed in. My dark ash blond hair is highlighted to help camoflauge the gray and is usually frizzy and dry.

Right now I am using DevaCare No Poo and One Condition followed by Shikai natural everday conditioner for a leave-in and Ouidad climate control. I have been going without shampoo for about 2 weeks now, after straightening for a year and I am getting restless with the lack of uniform definition of my frizzy waves.

For second day hair I am using Mister Right mixed with a bit of broccoli seed oil and Curls Godess Glaze.

I have been searching through all the forums for product help and have gotten myself all confused. Any advice, comments, and encouragement will be greatly appreciated.
    Well it may be time for you to start your fotki so we can all pull you through this. It is sooooo hard finding the right combo of stuff and a lot really is experimenting. I've been at this for a year and still fine tuning things. Up until a few days ago I was completely exasperated and posted any 2C girls using CK and it turned things around for me. I was a gigantic POOFY, FRIZZY MESS and it was not pretty. My biggest change was using CK, that stuff is AMAZING and I am back to using just a little shampoo over my condtioner and that's helped a lot. But I went back and read the CG handbook and I remembered a little shampoo is just fine for wavies!! Don't give up and don't despair this site is incredible with the advice and support you'll get. Keep experimenting!!:blob7: We'll cheer you on!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Don't give up! I looked like crap for several weeks when I started CG. It's taken me awhile to find a routine that works so my good hair days outnumber the bad ones. It IS worth it once you find what works for you.

I second the photos suggestion too. If you post pictures, it's easier for us to help. Good luck!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • WannaLoveMyWavesWannaLoveMyWaves Posts: 53Registered Users
    Thank you for your advice and support, I really appreciate it! I think I will "clarify" this weekend and then do DT's. After that I will use low poo once a week and see if that helps. I remember the last time I got my hair in really good shape, I was much better about consistently doing DT's.

I will also get on those pictures.....as soon as I have a somewhat presentable, non-ponytail day :glasses10:

I am trying to come up with specific products to try and the first one I want to try is FOTE aloe. Any other must tries? I primarily need moisture and frizz control; but, would like curl enhancing as well.

Thanks again!
    Mixture of type 2 hair

Thank you for your advice and support, I really appreciate it! I think I will "clarify" this weekend and then do DT's. After that I will use low poo once a week and see if that helps. I remember the last time I got my hair in really good shape, I was much better about consistently doing DT's.

I will also get on those pictures.....as soon as I have a somewhat presentable, non-ponytail day :glasses10:

I am trying to come up with specific products to try and the first one I want to try is FOTE aloe. Any other must tries? I primarily need moisture and frizz control; but, would like curl enhancing as well.

Thanks again!
    CK all the way :blob:a must for frizz control and I'm really liking biotera rock hard gel on top of the CK
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    I can second the suggestion for CK. I've only been using it a few days, but am really liking it so far.

Also, try the FOTE AVG, but if you don't find it to be quite right for you, try mixing it in your hands with something else. I've been having great luck mixing FOTE AVG with LOOB in my hands before I scrunch it in. My clumps break up the more I scrunch, but I like to use both products, so mixing them in my hands is key. I use CK in soaking wet hair raked through, and then LOOB/AVG scrunched in, then plopped for 10 minutes or so.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions. :flower:

Okay, so today, I washed my hair with low-poo, followed by a protein DT and a moisturizing DT. I *think* it looks better today and less frizzy. Only time will tell - I am not completely dry yet. I will attempt pictures when I am dry.

I also picked up some LOOB today; but, could not find FOTE. I will keep looking.

I am going to be placing a curlmart order soon, which will include CK. I can't just order that though ;-); any other must haves?
    Mixture of type 2 hair

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. :flower:

Okay, so today, I washed my hair with low-poo, followed by a protein DT and a moisturizing DT. I *think* it looks better today and less frizzy. Only time will tell - I am not completely dry yet. I will attempt pictures when I am dry.

I also picked up some LOOB today; but, could not find FOTE. I will keep looking.

I am going to be placing a curlmart order soon, which will include CK. I can't just order that though ;-); any other must haves?

A lot of people are talking about Tweek, though I know nothing about it.

You might want to take the DTs one at a time to start out with. I would go with a moisturizing DT for a bit until you're doing a little better overall, then try the protein. Too much protein can ultimately hurt your hair.

FOTE is tough to find, just be sure to check WalMart, and NOT in the suncare section, but rather in the body lotions section. It's a wicked cheap buy, too, so hopefully you'll find it!
    Stolen.
    Hold your horses PJ!!! :laughing6: Before you go crazy in the curl mart!!! I would say get the Litre size CK cuz if your hair likes it, you'll be using A LOT of it. I'm still tweeking the exact amt. I need but I'm using about 4-5 puddles, working it in to one section at a time then scrunching it all together to make sure I'm well coated. I have to say I'm loving the Biotera Hard Curl Gel and you can get it at Target. Also, if you're only ordering CK I would get it direct from www.frizzoff.com there's a flat $6.50 shipping fee so you can't beat that! I got mine in about 6 days. Also, you'll get a sample of the TWEEK most likely so you can save yourself the $ on that. It's getting mixed reviews so read them all before you decide to buy the whopping 4oz size cuz it's not cheap!!
    Discovered CG 2007

I hope I did this right. My hair has little to no definition right now and I am not happy with it; but, I am sharing in hopes that you can help me get it presetable sooner ;)

Mixture of type 2 hair

• rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Your pix are pretty and your hair has tons of potential - get it healthy; stay CG!

I cant used the products with amodimethicone, I get stringy. I LOVE CK. DTs are crucial for me, as are ACVs and, now, Honey!

Good luck!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    your hair actually looks pretty similar to mine in the front right now, it's just lacking some definitiong like you said. When my hair starts looking like that, it's a matter of conditioning and getting more moisture into it.

So far, the best DT i've tried (and granted, I'm still new so I've only tried a couple) has been Africa's Best oil, heated up a bit and used as a hot oil treatment all over. I left it in for about an hour, an hour and a half and my hair was really soft and flowy afterwards.

FOTE... 3 days ago, I would have said it was the best thing ever. Right now though, I think it's the root of my frizz problem. I haven't tried mixing it with anything other than KY though (the poor man's CK)... gel seems like a good idea and it's worth a shot.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • sharie43sharie43 Posts: 77Registered Users
    Hi everyone, I am going to try the loob and avg together, great new idea for me to try, wannalovemywaves your hair is somewhat similiar to mine except yours look so much thicker and more consistent waves, where mind tends to have curls in odd places!
    I hope I did this right. My hair has little to no definition right now and I am not happy with it; but, I am sharing in hopes that you can help me get it presetable sooner ;)

I think your hair looks pretty! What's the problem??? To me it looks healthy, great color, nice waves. I think when you start using the glycerin product you'll notice more definition. Your next experiment then we'll wait for you to post your LOOB results.
    Discovered CG 2007

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I think it looks great also.

CK is what gives me definition. It has enough hold for me to keep the definition but many wavies need gel on top to hold it. HEBE and HESMU work well too if you don't have the cash for BRHG.

I tried LOOB this week. It gave my curl more consistency - at least on Day 1. Day 4 now I'm back to waves, ringlets and banana curls. So sharie, you're not alone. :)
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    I think it looks great also.

CK is what gives me definition. It has enough hold for me to keep the definition but many wavies need gel on top to hold it. HEBE and HESMU work well too if you don't have the cash for BRHG.

I tried LOOB this week. It gave my curl more consistency - at least on Day 1. Day 4 now I'm back to waves, ringlets and banana curls. So sharie, you're not alone. :)
    oh phhhh :tongue3:

poor you with your beautiful ringlets and banana curls until day 11!!!! :laughing7:

I'm still not liking my hair after day 1 but I'm hoping that JC nourish and shine will change that for me! I just got it today so haven't worked with it YET. It just isn't holding up after the 1st day as well as I would like and I'm flat out of ideas:roll: If I wet it it frizzes more, if I use oils no definition..............ugh...............
    Discovered CG 2007

Thank you all for you help and encouragement. I tried LOOB today on second day hair and I got a lot of compliments from my kid's friends. They are teenage girls; so, I am not sure it that is a good thing or not. :laughing6:

Am I reading correctly? 11 day hair!? And I am excited about second day hair. I am VERY impressed.

Mims: my hair seems to really like oil too and moisture has always been an issue for me.

I am so glad that I finally posted here, instead of just reading. It is nice to interact and find people who understand when I complain about my hair!
    Mixture of type 2 hair

Thank you all for you help and encouragement. I tried LOOB today on second day hair and I got a lot of compliments from my kid's friends. They are teenage girls; so, I am not sure it that is a good thing or not. :laughing6:

Am I reading correctly? 11 day hair!? And I am excited about second day hair. I am VERY impressed.

Mims: my hair seems to really like oil too and moisture has always been an issue for me.

I am so glad that I finally posted here, instead of just reading. It is nice to interact and find people who understand when I complain about my hair!
    oh well dooooooooo tell and explain how you used the Loob on 2nd day hair! Did you spritz and plop or did you use it dry?
    Discovered CG 2007

My hair always looks REALLY dry in the morning; so, I spritzed with Mister Right with a bit of broccoli oil (it is supposed to be good for shine and moisturizing) mixed in the bottle. Then I scrunched with LOOB. Let air dry and the scrunched out the crunch with my little microfiber hair glove. The hair glove is what saves me the most on frizz. It doesn't stick to my hair like my hands sometimes do if I don't wait until it is totally dry. I read that tip on here the last time I tried to embrace the wave.
    Mixture of type 2 hair

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    My hair always looks REALLY dry in the morning; so, I spritzed with Mister Right with a bit of broccoli oil (it is supposed to be good for shine and moisturizing) mixed in the bottle. Then I scrunched with LOOB. Let air dry and the scrunched out the crunch with my little microfiber hair glove. The hair glove is what saves me the most on frizz. It doesn't stick to my hair like my hands sometimes do if I don't wait until it is totally dry. I read that tip on here the last time I tried to embrace the wave.

Very cool. Never heard of such a thing. Did you find that in a store or online?

And del exaggerates, it was day 9 not 11. :tongue1:

Grass is always greener. I would like to have good Day 1 and 2 hair. I feel mine doesn't really start looking "right' until Day 3 or 4.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    Hi there --

I posted to one of your other threads, but I'll post here since this seems to be the more active one.

Let me say this: I envy you if those pictures represent Problem Hair! There is such good advice on these boards -- if you try some things, and take care of your hair, and find what works for you, that hair is going to have you smiling in no time. Especially if this is your starting point! (envy, envy, envy....)

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.

Very cool. Never heard of such a thing. Did you find that in a store or online?

And del exaggerates, it was day 9 not 11. :tongue1:

Grass is always greener. I would like to have good Day 1 and 2 hair. I feel mine doesn't really start looking "right' until Day 3 or 4.
    Oh dear, sooo terribly sorry for my 2 day error!! :tongue5:

AHEM..........anyways............

Day 9 or Day 11 you're still doing better than most of us you curly/wavy :queen:that we all admire...
    Discovered CG 2007

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file