any other 3a-ers growing out?

mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
i have decided to grow my hair out long for the first time in many years.

i've been doing well, waited 10 weeks for my last cut - big progress considering i used to go every 4-6 weeks.

just wondering if anyone else is trying to do the same.

i am going for a bit past shoulder length or maybe even longer, i think, with lots of layers all the way down (it'll probably be out of style by the time i get there, but oh well!)

right now my bottom layers are about an inch above sholder length when stretched out, and the shortest layers are between cheekbone and jaw length.

anyone else?

m
coarse, thick 3a
modified cg

weight.png

Comments

• CurlEEEECurlEEEE Posts: 308Registered Users
    I'm 3a/3b trying to grow it. For some reason it never seems longer. I've been getting trims that's probably why and so much scrunching makes it look shorter. But at least my curls look good...so whatever...
    3A/3B (not really sure)/No Shampoo/Conditioner Only/Honey/Aussie Volumizer+condish/Biolage Gel/Plop/Diffuse/Spritz of Bed Head Maxxed Out
    Password: CurlEEEE
  • puddlespuddles Posts: 45Registered Users
    I'm also trying to grow mine out. Right now I have layers from almost shoulder length to about 3 inches above BSL. I want to get my layers closer together as the top layer is the curliest - just trimming the longest layer and the fuzzies from the shorter layers. I'm hoping for at least BSL - if I can hold out!
    2b-3a Brunette, fine but lots of it.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    yay!

i've decided to get ambitious, and hope for my bottom layers to get to bsl.

let's help each other resist the urge to cut!

:D

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• SmithsGirlSmithsGirl Posts: 100Registered Users
    I just had my first haircut in 12 months on Christmas Day. Just a teeny little ends trim that my mom did for me. I really want to get to bra strap length or maybe longer. I'll be updating my fotki with growth pictures later today.

I need all the support I can get! My last growth attempt prior to this one ended in a pixie haircut that I really regretted. I'm at that same length now and starting to get frustrated.
    "In the days when you were hopeless and poor, I just liked you more."

formerly jodib70
    3a/3b, baby fine; growth goal: bra strap length.
  • AnaxandriaAnaxandria Posts: 6Registered Users
    My new years resolution is to grow my hair out up to mid back. I just need to find the perfect products first.
  • freyafreya Posts: 5Registered Users
    i swear if u hav 3a , the longer it is the more curly ?
    freya - yes, mine is getting curlier the longer it gets, so it does boing up a bit. i like it though!

:)

anaxandria - welcome! i am loving devacurl products. i hope you will find some things that you love. there are lots of good suggestions on the boards.

:)

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• IwantcurlyhairIwantcurlyhair Posts: 338Registered Users
    I'm trying to grow out my hair between bsl length and waist length so count me in! I cut my hair up to my shoulders in July but it's grown surprisingly fast so far and now it's past my shoulders but I still have a long way to go. I need all the encouragement I can get.
  • curlessencecurlessence Posts: 81Registered Users
    hi :D I'm trying to grow out my hair too! I haven't cut my hair since the end of summer I think? I can't really remember now! LOL... I'm also thinking of keeping shorter layers around the front for volume since longer hair tends to get weighed down.. so I'm with ya!!
  • iowagirliowagirl Posts: 44Registered Users
    I have been wearing my hair short for many years, but now am trying to grow out. I got some pictures developed from last August, and yikes was it short! I am also growing out most of the layers. It is now not quite shoulder length. I will let it grow until it doesn't look good anymore. I want it to look like Melina Kanakaredes' hair.

Jane
    3A hair, fine and thin
    Current faves are: Giovanni Direct Leave In, Suave Cocoanut Cond., and the BEST gel ever, IC Gel with Sparkelites.
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 208Registered Users
    I have been letting my hair grow out too & I last had it cut in June. It is nearly to my armpits at the back but it's getting a bit straggly as I have a lot of layers in it. Ive also decided to grow out my fringe/bangs, I usually cut them myself.
    I am trying to decide whether to have a couple of inches off the length just to thicken my hair up & even the layers out but of course I'm a bit scared she'll take to much off! Then I have a good hair day & wonder if I should just get the very ends off.
    Honestly the longer my hair gets the more difficult it is to go for a haircut, when i had very short hair I used to really look forward to it, now I have to think about it for weeks & once I had a nightmare that one of the juniors cut it really short!
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • freyafreya Posts: 5Registered Users
    i wud grow my hair long cuz wen i waz yunger i had bum lenght hair and it waz perfect ringlets no frizz , but now my face haz changed and i dnt suit it long , the shorter my hair is its more frizzy and stuff tho
  • BettyboopnycBettyboopnyc Posts: 99Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have been growing my hair out slowly over the past 2 or 3 years. I have gone from a short short pixie cut, to a chin length bob, now to shoulder length. my shortest layers are around my face, just about at my jaw, and the longest layer in the back just at shoulder length.

This is the longest it has been, and every time I get to this point, I get frustrated with it not being a real "style" , and wind up chopping.

so I also need support in continuing to grow. I would love to see my hair mid back :)

Too bad it is winter and grows so slowly. I calculated that based on hair growing 1/3" per month, even if I do not get my hair cut until JUne/July it will have only grown 2". That is depressing!
  • karyzmakaryzma Posts: 158Registered Users
    I'm trying to grow out as well. Mine is about chin length right now. And yes, the longer it gets the curlier it seems to get.
    3A - shoulder length

Shampoo: Akamuti African Black Soap
    (every 3 days)

Daily Cond/Co-Wash: MopTop Daily Conditioner
    (daily rinse out fully)

Daily Leave-In: MopTop Leave-It In Conditioner
    (daily on wet hair in shower - not too much - before plopping)
    Styling: Paul Mitchell Extra Body Sculpting Foam
    (daily)

• itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    hell yeah i'm growing out! hahah.
    i had a pixie cut almost 3 years ago now. after growing my hair chin length, frying my hair with bleach, cutting it shorter again, and regrowing it it's finally getting where i would consider it "long". dry, my bottom layers in teh back are starting to hang past my shoulders.
    being pregnant has sped up the clock a LOT more then i thought it would! so, i just keep enjoying the length! vitamins, a good diet, lots of water, and taking care of my hair now has made it a lot healthier this time then it was before. so while it feels like it takes longer to grow (because it curls more) it also looks a LOT better!!!

grow, curlies! grow!!
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • vanityhairvanityhair Posts: 29Registered Users
    Count me in with the girls who are growing their hair out. I have been growing it out for about a year from a VERY short hair cut I had last January. My hair tends to be curlier the shorter it is, so my curls are now stretching out. Does that make me a 3B instead of a 3A? I swear because of some of my loose curls, I'm somewhere in between the two!

Anyway, I would LOVE to get my hair to bra-strap length. It's so hard to be patient! :?
    3A
    HGs: Elucence MBC, Pink Boots, HEHD
  • TropicalCurlsTropicalCurls Posts: 12Registered Users
    I'm kind of a combination of curl types - 2A/B/C and 3A/B and I've been growing for about a year to a year and a half now. My hair's right at BSL at the moment, and I'm hoping to grow it a couple inches longer. My goal is (and I don't know how else to put this lol) so that my hair (when curly) will go down completely over my boobs in the front. :lol: I know that sounds strange, but I honestly don't know what you would call that length.. Hahaha so I'm almost there, but still really impatient!!
    Hair type: 3
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I'm growing out mine too. Just going to keep getting it shaped (though I'm hoping to learn to do that myself). It's collarbone length right now, I'd like to grow it out to bra strap length. I like having it long and layered, so it doesn't look to heavy on me.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
    okay gals -

i forced myself to wait 10 weeks this time, and i could go get mine cut this next week. i've been dying to go in and have her shape things up a bit, and do some more point cutting (she backed off on that last time, as some of my ends were getting too wispy and not blunt enough for my liking) ...

but my hair is not driving me bonkers, and i think i could actually stand to go for another week or two. should i? that would put me at 3 months since my last cut. wahoo!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• AlexaAlexa Posts: 208Registered Users
    mayim wrote:
    but my hair is not driving me bonkers, and i think i could actually stand to go for another week or two. should i? that would put me at 3 months since my last cut. wahoo!

m

If you are determined to grow your hair & as long as you don't have any split ends I think you should wait a bit longer.
    I had a trim last week, 2" off the length & about 1/2" off the layers, thats' my 1st cut for 6 months. My hair is just past shoulder length now which I like but I want to get the layers down a bit more, my longest layers are chin length when pulled straight. I have always had lots of layers since wearing my hair curly so I just want to see what its like without them.
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • sirenrisingsirenrising Posts: 92Registered Users
    Yesterday was the "my hair is at an awkward shoulder length now -- do I chop it off or grow it out?" decision.

The decision: grow it out, then chop it off :D

My hair looks to be about 7ish inches from BSL curly, which is what, 10 actual inches of growth? So I guess I'm looking at a year and a half if I want to do this.

(Thats how long my hair was before I chopped it this summer, and I loved the chop, but part of what I loved about the chop was the drastic change, ya know?)

So Summer 2007.... hehe!

Until then, the only time I am going to cut my bottom layers is if they are damaged (which is rare now that I take good care of my hair) and I'd only do small trims on indiv curls to make them "pop" more. I want to do that soon actually. myself.
    currently loving the deva line
    yeah,

i forgot to mention that my hair grows pretty fast. it's gone from just below chin length to almost shoulder length since the cut i had at beginning of september, and i then i had a cut toward the beginning of november.

my ends are super healthy because i don't use heat and have no color, and i have pretty thick, resilient hair (plus i've been mostly cg or modified for about a year and a half).

so i could go forever without a cut if i'm just worrying about cutting off damaged ends, but i'm not so impatient for length that i will sacrifice shape or style. it's not worth growing it out if i hate the way it looks in the process. (i have a pretty layered cut, so it would be different if i had it all one length or something.)

when i go in for a trim, she just microtrims most of it, and is very, very good about not taking off length when she reshapes it. i just need things 're-engineered' so to speak.

all that said, i think i'm gonna see if i can wait two more weeks.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• misombramisombra Posts: 15Registered Users
    one thing that helps me to not cut it is to put it up in buns. i kinda hide my hair from myself for a while because i have such a hard time resisting the urge to cut it.
    misombra wrote:
    one thing that helps me to not cut it is to put it up in buns. i kinda hide my hair from myself for a while because i have such a hard time resisting the urge to cut it.

yeah, my hair is too short for buns yet, but i have sure been 'ponytail girl' a lot lately!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

when i got to that length that is not so flattering on me, i got some layers put in without loosing any of the total length. problem was it was around mid neck when dry, but i had no layers anymore...so i was getting triangle head. for a while there, i thought that i just had to deal with ugly hair until it would fall behind my shoulders...then i thought to myself "layers"....
    it gave my hair a shape instead of a triangle, and it's been a LOT easier to grow it out past the shoulders then it has been in other attempts.

so i think your reshaping with no length lost idea is good. for me? i'm not getting a trim or anything until it's long. the layers are growing out really well and my ends aren't broken or split at all. the bottom layers are starting to hang a little longer because of the weight, and the upper layers are gradually getting longer as well! i think it'll work for quite some time!!

otherwise, buns/ponytails/or 2 messy french twists are a great way to mix it up! :D
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    jodib70 wrote:
    I just had my first haircut in 12 months on Christmas Day. Just a teeny little ends trim that my mom did for me. I really want to get to bra strap length or maybe longer. I'll be updating my fotki with growth pictures later today.

I need all the support I can get! My last growth attempt prior to this one ended in a pixie haircut that I really regretted. I'm at that same length now and starting to get frustrated.

we have a growout challenge on the 3b board. I suggested that anyone who is thinking about getting a serious haircut please post on the board and get support from fellow curlies before taking a drastic step. we're measuring ourhair every month. mine has not been cut since feb 3 2005 and i am noticing some increased length. as carlos at devachan said, you do not get long hair by cutting it!--also that the split ends occur no matter whether you get trims or not and the more healthy your hair is, the fewer splits you will have. good luck!
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • steph_einasteph_eina Posts: 47Registered Users
    Okay here's some compiled advice from my own hairstylist as well as from some articles I've read and my own experience:

You should get a trim every 3 months (12 weeks).
    Your hairdresser should only cut off anywhere from 1/4" to 1".
    Any more than that and you're cutting off what you just grew!

However, in order for your hairdresser not to have to cut more off, you have to treat your hair very well.
    Don't blow dry, flat iron, or put it up in tight buns/pony-tails (unless it's just once in a while).
    Also, if you can, don't color your hair. The key is avoid split ends, breakage, and keep your hair's own nutrients in.
    If you swim, wear a cap, and wash your hair after you get out of the pool - my hairstylist is completely adamant about this. :lol:

Deep condition your hair once a week or every two weeks with a good protein one, like K-Pak. Also remember to take your daily multivitamin (make it a good one!) and drink a lot of water (try drinking water with all your meals).

I follow all that advice, and for a girl who's had short hair for about 17 years, two years later my hair is nearly halfway down my back. Yay!
    The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
    -- Somerset Maugham
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I am trying to grow mine out, but it really, desperately needs a trim. The ends are very dry and rough feeling and DT isn't helping. They just need to go. I've been doing it myself for years, but when it was shorter, it was easier. I'm panicing at the thought of explaining to a new stylist that no more than a half an inch can be cut off. Stylists just don't measure the way anyone else does! That's why I got disgusted years ago and started trimming it myself. Right now my longest layers are slightly below my shoulders and I don't want to loose much length.
    ________
    Unique Glass Pipes
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I'm at such an awkward length right now .. sigh. I'm just trying to hold off on that reshaping trim as long as I can. My hair curls much better as it gets longer.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
    I am trying to grow mine out, but it really, desperately needs a trim. The ends are very dry and rough feeling and DT isn't helping. They just need to go. I've been doing it myself for years, but when it was shorter, it was easier. I'm panicing at the thought of explaining to a new stylist that no more than a half an inch can be cut off. Stylists just don't measure the way anyone else does! That's why I got disgusted years ago and started trimming it myself. Right now my longest layers are slightly below my shoulders and I don't want to loose much length.

honestly, i've found that stylists at places like Great Clips listen to you a LOT more then any salon i've ever been to. when my hair was longer, i would get trims at great clips and show them exactly how much i wanted cut, and walked out a happy customer every time. at a "real" salon? never was happy. they always cut it too short or in some weird shape they thought would give me a better shape...yeah, it didn't. i like great clips because they don't have an ego about it. and i figure, if i tell them to cut my hair a certain way, and they do it, then it's my fault not theirs. but since i know my hair so well? it usually ends out alright.
    when i got my layers cut in, i ran up to great clips after not going to them for years while i was growing my hair out. (i guess i figured a "real" salon would know how to help me with growing out a pixie cut....boy i was wrong on several occasions and walked out crying...hindsight is 20/20) i told her i didn't want to loose length, just add layers in. she did exactly what i asked. and i was quite the happy camper.
    oh, and i can tip like i'm a highroller! when your haircut costs all of $10, i can give them a 50% tip and feel like i'm the greatest! hhahaha.

anyway, that's my suggestion for us growers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file