help me decide

jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Posts: 529Registered Users
ladies,

i have 3*4in of hair and id like to get braid extensions for protective styling. the thing is, i have very fine, almost "babylike" hair. do you you think this would be a good idea considering my texture and the heaviness/texture of the extension hair? i dont want to experinece breakage, possible thinning of my hair...but i do want extenisons! please help :wink:
loose 4a, silky meets cottony
routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.

Comments

• thirteenlbsthirteenlbs Posts: 205Registered Users
    I have fine hair, too.

Braids wreak havok on my fine hair. I've had them a few times here and there, moisturized and washed beforehand and done a DT after. For my friends, braids made their hair grow; for me, it made mine weak and brittle. Something about that synthetic hair-- I don't know!

But maybe others can shed some light on what worked for them.
    O, S, with fine strands
    Cottony
  • Big&BouncyBig&Bouncy Posts: 104Registered Users
    I think braiding can work for you but you will need to be very careful. Make sure your hair is well conditioned and moisturized before you get it braided. Try to find a braider who will be gentle with your hair as she is braiding and not pull the hair too tightly. Also human hair might be better for you than synthetic, but if that is too pricey find the softest, best quality synthetic hair you can get. Good Luck :D

event.png

Password: curls
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Posts: 529Registered Users
    thanks ladies!
    its just that im so concerned about my hairline...if it falls out, my hair is too short to cover it up, you know? but braids are so easy! i havent had extensions since the summer of '93...but they were the big "poetic justice" braids that were out then...so not too much damage. i want very thin cornrows...2 months of not worrying about my hair is such a beautiful thought...im so confused :? lol
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • mellemelle Posts: 4Registered Users
    I have baby fine hair too - I did the micro braids one time and they pulled my hair out to the point where I had to wear a short bob with a bald fade in the back. I went to a different salon to have them removed because I was afraid of pulling out more hair (and because I was too lazy to do it myself) and the braider explained that with my grade of hair, the braids were too small and heavy and pulled my hair so much that it came out. She recommended that with "baby hair" you should try larger braids. But I wouldn't know if that's the solution - I was too afraid to try them again. Besides, I got the braids for convenience and ended up combing my hair more than I ever did when I just had my perm.
    3C (fine hair)/Dove Intense Moisture shampoo & conditioner (1x a week) or just conditioner/Olive Oil/LA Looks Curl Enhancing Mousse
    http://public.fotki.com/melle72/
  • thirteenlbsthirteenlbs Posts: 205Registered Users
    Actually, now that you mention it, I got the Janet Jackson braids once, too. I kept them in about three weeks and they didn't pull out my hair. They were kinda big, though.

O, S, with fine strands
    Cottony
  • *Ani**Ani* Posts: 351Registered Users
    thanks ladies!
    its just that im so concerned about my hairline...if it falls out, my hair is too short to cover it up, you know? but braids are so easy! i havent had extensions since the summer of '93...but they were the big "poetic justice" braids that were out then...so not too much damage. i want very thin cornrows...2 months of not worrying about my hair is such a beautiful thought...im so confused :? lol

I had braids in the summer of 1993 too. :)

I dont think cornrows will be damaging to your hair at all since they stay close to the head and there wont be a lot of movement (friction) between your hair and the synthetic hair.

It seems like it would be a style that would help your hair grow.
    On Rush Limbaugh: Rather than engage in the admittedly difficult task of justifying GOP policies rationally, the key to Limbaugh’s success is attracting an audience that actually yearns to be lied to.
  • mellemelle Posts: 4Registered Users
    Cornrows sound like a real good idea...
    3C (fine hair)/Dove Intense Moisture shampoo & conditioner (1x a week) or just conditioner/Olive Oil/LA Looks Curl Enhancing Mousse
    http://public.fotki.com/melle72/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file