CurlTalk

Shampoo Bar Questions

memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
I've been fooling around with the shampoo bars and I think I'm going to really like them. I'm wondering if anybody finds that they need to avoid proteins in these? I needed to avoid them in regular conditioners and styling products but I suspect it won't be a problem with the bars.

Also, does anybody have trouble with soap scum from the bars? I eliminated bar soap many, many years ago because I hate cleaning the tub and shower floor so I'm wondering if I'm committing myself to a life of scrubbing if I fall in love with these.

Thanks,

M
3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.

Comments

• pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    I love my CV bars, and don't find that they leave the soap scum that the mass produced bars leave on the tub.

I can't say they leave no residue on the tub, but I don't find I need to scrub the tub like I used to.

I am trying to transition my husband to CV bars. I am going to make a sample order of the more astringent bars for him.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    Thanks ... that's good to know. The guy gets awfully tired of having to use up my not so favorite products. He "just wants to use the same thing all the time." His last comment was that we aren't going to use anything that leaves soap scum! We are remodeling and using those little round rocks on the floor of our shower so I definitely don't want to use something that's going to leave more than the minimum for me to scrub.

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    memes - I had the same concerns as you regarding the protein issue. My hair always hated protein, especially wheat. I was unsure because many of the samples I ordered initially, contained either wheat germ or wheat germ oil. I have been pleasantly surprised how my hair does not react to these proteins at all! Not sure why that is, but my hair feels clean and soft with each one I've tried. I'm hooked. :toothy7:

I can't answer the soap scum question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    misspam,

The protein is at least as important as the soap scum :) Thanks for getting back to me....I ordered all sorts of additional samples this morning with blatant disregard for protein so I was hoping that it wouldn't be a problem.

memes

• ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    Oh, dear, sorry to barge in here, but did you say protein? I ordered mine too with no thought to that! Please keep us posted on how your hair reacts to the proteins in the bars! I am going to look later at the bars I ordered!
  • avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users
    What bars did you order?
    Sulfate- and non-water-soluble silicone-free since 8/2008

Just about medium everything:
    medium texture, low-medium porosity, medium density
    Day One hair: 2c
    Day Two hair: 2a
    2c-3a in the summer time

Protein sensitive. Still looking for
    products...
    used to have curls, now it's consistently just waves...
    I don't think this was directed at me but I'll add to the confusion. I ordered:

Chamomile Citrus Shampoo
    Rosemary Mint Shampoo
    Chocolate Almond Soap
    Honey Butter Soap Sample
    Orange Creamsicle Soap

There are a couple of others I'd like to try (Marshmallow Bambussa and something with Lime)that weren't available so I'm sure I'll be placing another order in a few weeks...I'll have a lifetime supply of samples :)

I ordered a full size of the Chamomile Citrus as I've been using that with really good results.

M

I eyeballed the ingredients and they all had wheat protein of some nature.

I ordered Chamomile and Citrus, nettle and the Rosemary Mint.

I am going to keep trying them and see what happens!
    ajane,

I used the Chamomile Citrus for several days in a row with no problem....I don't think it was one of the ones with protein though. I suspect that my problem may have been with hydrolized proteins found in most products as I definitely has protein problems when I was using mainstream products....I would notice after a single day of using any kind of leave in or styling product with protein other than silk.

Good luck with the bars...

memes

Memes, good point! It is nice using products that aren't as processed! My fourth CV shampoo bar wash was today. My hair is still wet and I can't wait to see the results! But none of that protein dry stringy frizzy yuck so far! I am loving the Chamomile and Citrus and desperately resisting the urge to order the full sized bar. I am trying to wait until some of the other bars I want to try are ready, however, I am afraid the C and C flavor will be out by then!
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Hmmm...I haven't tried the Chamomile & Citrus yet-sounds like I have to make another order soon! I say, if you like the sample that much, it can't hurt to order a bar while it's in stock. I gather from others that use them that it's good to rotate, so at least you know you'll have it available. But-to make it really worthwhile you have to order more than one bar-yes? :wink:
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Hmmm...I haven't tried the Chamomile & Citrus yet-sounds like I have to make another order soon! I say, if you like the sample that much, it can't hurt to order a bar while it's in stock. I gather from others that use them that it's good to rotate, so at least you know you'll have it available. But-to make it really worthwhile you have to order more than one bar-yes? :wink:

LOL You are SUCH an enabler!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • BumbleBCurlyBumbleBCurly Posts: 79Registered Users
    WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THESE SHAMPOO BARS? :blob7:
    Only you can make the right decisions for yourself.
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THESE SHAMPOO BARS? :blob7:

They're made by a company called Chagrin Valley. You can find them online at chagrinvalley.com. :D
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Is there a support group for Naturally Curly Product Junky Enabling?

And yes, I think I will be ordering the full sized bar on Saturday. I think that one of the flavors I wanted to sample will be ready then!

Now I have to see if the Cafe Moreno is available, I have one gray hair that comes out of my part to laugh at me. Maybe that would help?
  • orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    oops double post

• orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    I ordered cafe moreno (along w/ a bunch of other) for the same reason - about 5 gray hairs that aren't worth dyeing.

• LollipopLollipop Posts: 67Registered Users
    I'm a little confused. These shampoo bars, are they any different from a regular bar of soap? I bought this all natural soap bar and I'm thinking of trying it out. Here are the ingredients:

Olive oil, palm kernel oil, distilled water, coconut oil, safflower oil, sodium hydroxide, sweet almond oil, castor oil; essential oils of lemon and lavender; red sandalwood powder; annatto seed powder.

Can I use it on my hair? How do I use it? How much do I apply? How often do you find you need to cleanse? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie!:confused:
  • EponaBlackhorseEponaBlackhorse Posts: 304Registered Users
    Lollipop wrote: »
    I'm a little confused. These shampoo bars, are they any different from a regular bar of soap? I bought this all natural soap bar and I'm thinking of trying it out. Here are the ingredients:

Olive oil, palm kernel oil, distilled water, coconut oil, safflower oil, sodium hydroxide, sweet almond oil, castor oil; essential oils of lemon and lavender; red sandalwood powder; annatto seed powder.

Can I use it on my hair? How do I use it? How much do I apply? How often do you find you need to cleanse? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie!:confused:

I used the Chagrin Valley soaps for a while and also the soaps that KathyMack sells. Very quickly I looked up the ingredients from my favorite Chagrin Valley bar and this is what I found:

Saponified oils of olive, babassu, unrefined shea butter, and castor bean; and filtered rainwater.

I'm not a soap maker but after some research it looks like the one ingredient that made me nervous in your bar, the sodium hydroxide, is actually part of the saponification process. So I'm guessing your bar is probably fine to use as a shampoo bar.
    3a, medium texture, low porosity(?)
    Poo: KC Come Clean
    Rinse-out Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Styling Products: KCCC, HETT/HESMU, Joiwhip
    Weekly Treatment: Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
    Monthly Treatment: Henna

Hair Pics (most I've hidden from public view but if you want to see more, PM me and I'll open up the security on them): /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fflickr.com%2Fphotos%2Feponaaran%2Fsets%2F72157610671796089%2F" class="Popup
  • zitromazitroma Posts: 21Registered Users
    Hello,

my first shampoo bar (not from Chagrin Valley) arrived today and I allready washed my hair with it.
    Still waiting for it to fully dry.

Question to all: Did it took some time until your hair got used to it and start responding well? Or did you immediatly got pleasing results?
    small 3bs or big 3cs -- you name it, fine, low-ish porosity
    german curly
    1st May curls (picture)
    short pixie curls (picture)
    What works well, so far:
    Natural Shampoo Bars
    i+m repair hemp oil low-poo, conditioners from Alverde, AOGPB
    honey, ACV Rinses, yogurt PTs
    Logona Conditioner Spray, Sun Dance AVG,
    KCKT, KCCC
    Will try soon: FSG, Protein Spray, Protein Treatment and Caitlin's Conditioner from SS
    Would like to try: stuff from CJ, AO MM, stuff from Shecentit

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    zitroma wrote: »
    Hello,

my first shampoo bar (not from Chagrin Valley) arrived today and I allready washed my hair with it.

Question to all: Did it took some time until your hair got used to it and start responding well? Or did you immediatly got pleasing results?

My first time was WOW!!!

With the Chagrin Valley bar it was dry and frizzy--just awful. Would never have used another if that was my first. It does take hair a few uses to acclimate to using the bars. That "waxy" feeling after you rinse the soap bar gets better. It totally disappears after rinse out conditioner.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EponaBlackhorseEponaBlackhorse Posts: 304Registered Users
    Hello,

It takes some time for my hair to get used to it if I haven't used them in a while. If you mix some apple cider vinegar with some water, and rinse your hair with this mix after you wash with the shampoo bar. This should help your hair adjust.
    3a, medium texture, low porosity(?)
    Poo: KC Come Clean
    Rinse-out Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Styling Products: KCCC, HETT/HESMU, Joiwhip
    Weekly Treatment: Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
    Monthly Treatment: Henna

Hair Pics (most I've hidden from public view but if you want to see more, PM me and I'll open up the security on them): /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fflickr.com%2Fphotos%2Feponaaran%2Fsets%2F72157610671796089%2F" class="Popup
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Posts: 1,458Registered Users
    Hello,

After using a shampoo bar for the first time, my hair felt slightly waxy but doing an ACV rinse after helps. My hair has become accustomed to shampoo bars now and I hardly use an ACV rinse.
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zitromazitroma Posts: 21Registered Users
    Thanks for the tip with the ACV rinse after using a shampoo bar, luckily I rinsed with a conditioner afterwards which has got a good amount of citric acid in it. I'll consider the ACV for the next time.
    kathymack wrote: »

My first time was WOW!!!

With the Chagrin Valley bar it was dry and frizzy--just awful. Would never have used another if that was my first. It does take hair a few uses to acclimate to using the bars. That "waxy" feeling after you rinse the soap bar gets better. It totally disappears after rinse out conditioner.

hehe, my first time was WOW! as well. Really loved the result after my hair were fully dried. And the waxy feeling disappeared after rinsing with conditioner as you said :)
    small 3bs or big 3cs -- you name it, fine, low-ish porosity
    german curly
    1st May curls (picture)
    short pixie curls (picture)
    What works well, so far:
    Natural Shampoo Bars
    i+m repair hemp oil low-poo, conditioners from Alverde, AOGPB
    honey, ACV Rinses, yogurt PTs
    Logona Conditioner Spray, Sun Dance AVG,
    KCKT, KCCC
    Will try soon: FSG, Protein Spray, Protein Treatment and Caitlin's Conditioner from SS
    Would like to try: stuff from CJ, AO MM, stuff from Shecentit

Three questions:

How often do you use the shampoo bars? And how do you know when you need to use them?

And, about how long does it take for the waxy feeling to go away? As you said, using a conditioner helped but as I was washing, my hair felt very coated and waxy, which I thought might not be a good sign.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    Once upon a time, I was a daily shampoo/conditioner user--no styling products. About three years ago, I "weaned" myself to every three days. So when I started with the natural bars, I did every three days. We had a cold, dry winter--so, I got to every five to seven days. I'm back to my regular schedule now that the weather has warmed up, although some days I forget. I'm older, so no longer have the oily scalp/hair I had when I was young. I guess it arbitrary. It's only when it's really hot, that I feel a "need" to cleanse scalp.

Your hair does acclimate to using the bars after a while. That "waxy" feeling isn't as strong. It's never totally gone away, for me. When the bars were the rage two summers ago, it was discussed a lot. It's very typical, not a bad sign at all.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks, Kathymack. I like the shampoo bars I got from you but my hair feels sticky until I put in the conditioner. I have been using the bar once or twice a week but I am trying to figure out what my curls want, and I am not feeling very patient. Likely this is due to the mess that my last cut made of my hair.
    I am thinking of going back to the Deva-trained stylist I saw a couple years ago, but that is about eight hours away and is a major investment in time. As you pointed out in another post, having a good cut makes a big difference. But I am thinking that I might as well wait until my hair grows in a bit more. Not sure that they can do much with my hair as it is now.
    CG since '08.

• LollipopLollipop Posts: 67Registered Users
    Lollipop wrote: »

I used the Chagrin Valley soaps for a while and also the soaps that KathyMack sells. Very quickly I looked up the ingredients from my favorite Chagrin Valley bar and this is what I found:

Saponified oils of olive, babassu, unrefined shea butter, and castor bean; and filtered rainwater.

I'm not a soap maker but after some research it looks like the one ingredient that made me nervous in your bar, the sodium hydroxide, is actually part of the saponification process. So I'm guessing your bar is probably fine to use as a shampoo bar.

Thanks for the reply! I have been carefully experimenting with my soap bar and I think I've got it! I follow up with an ACV rinse because it makes my hair so silky :love4:!!! So I went on the website of the soap company and they said all the sodium hydroxide(lye) is gone from the final product. CV bars use the the same thing too. I ordered the cafe moreno because I love all things coffee:love7: and , I can't wait! While I love my soap bars, they are a little pricier than CV ones (but they're so much prettier!!!!) I think they will be more of my decorative/pampering treat. I'm surprised more people don't know about them. Seriously, check out the website sarvasoap.com, even just to look at the soaps (gallery ones are the prettiest). I can get mine cheaper than they retail on the website since they're local:laughing6:. I'm not trying to enable any PJism, jut trying to spread the good word:angel1:.
  • Melanie_LinnMelanie_Linn Posts: 457Registered Users
    I just ordered some sample of CV bars, and I cant wait for them to get here.

My goodies;
    Ayurvedic Herb Shampoo
    Cafe Moreno Shampoo
    Olive Babassu Shampoo
    Olive and Shea Soap
    3c/4aMCiii normal/low porosity med elasticty

Shampoo- JC Hydrating Invigorating poo, Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo, CV poo bars
    Rinse out- Natures gate hemp, GSAS
    Leave in- GDLI, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Leave in
    DT- Still working on that
    Styler- Ecostyler Crystal, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme
    Sealer- castor, Shea butter,jojoba oil

I don't know how well I'll keep it up, my blog The Lions Mane
  • curlygirlcurlygirl Posts: 11Registered Users
    How can you tell if your hair hates protein? What happens to the hair? Is it all proteins?
    Tara