What do I need to go CG?

rps23rps23 Posts: 53Registered Users
Can someone make this no shampoo thing really simple for me because I have no idea if I have what I need to do it. Can you give me a list of what I need? Thanks X
Newly CG 2B/C

My hair loves Pantene Curl Mousse, Rich Conditioners
& Diffusing

Hates Curl Cream & Gel

Growing to BSL

:money:

Comments

• CurlyCurlyGirlCurlyCurlyGirl Posts: 11Registered Users
    I'm just starting out too. Today was my first real day going CG. This is what I did so far to give you an idea, but if I've made a mistake somewhere hopefully someone will correct me.

Yesterday I washed my hair with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo to get rid of any 'cones in my hair. Then used Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner (meant to pick up Suave Naturals conditioner but grabbed the wrong one).

Today I did a co wash with the Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner, by putting conditioner on my scalp and scrub, scrub, scrubbing with my fingers (no fingernails). I rinsed that off, continuing to scrub my scalp as I was rinsing to make sure I got the conditioner off.

Then I re-applied the Suave conditioner to the length of my hair and left it on while I finished my shower. After I was done with the rest of my shower, I rinsed the conditioner from my hair using cool water. I combed it with a wide tooth comb, then applied some Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, sort of raking it through my hair and scrunching it with my fingers. I then plopped my hair with an old t-shirt for about 15 min. (might try a little longer next time). Then removed the t-shirt and sort of fixed my hair a little with my hands and left it to dry without touching it.

Once it was dry I gently scrunched it with my hands to remove any "crustiness" the gel might have left behind.

So far I'm loving the results. My hair is alot curlier and clumpier (in a good way). I hope this a good sign of things to come. I'd really love to grow my hair out some but it's always been too dry to do it.

Good luck going CG... hopefully I've helped a little. :)
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I'm just starting out too. Today was my first real day going CG. This is what I did so far to give you an idea, but if I've made a mistake somewhere hopefully someone will correct me.

Yesterday I washed my hair with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo to get rid of any 'cones in my hair. Then used Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner (meant to pick up Suave Naturals conditioner but grabbed the wrong one).

Today I did a co wash with the Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner, by putting conditioner on my scalp and scrub, scrub, scrubbing with my fingers (no fingernails). I rinsed that off, continuing to scrub my scalp as I was rinsing to make sure I got the conditioner off.

Then I re-applied the Suave conditioner to the length of my hair and left it on while I finished my shower. After I was done with the rest of my shower, I rinsed the conditioner from my hair using cool water. I combed it with a wide tooth comb, then applied some Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, sort of raking it through my hair and scrunching it with my fingers. I then plopped my hair with an old t-shirt for about 15 min. (might try a little longer next time). Then removed the t-shirt and sort of fixed my hair a little with my hands and left it to dry without touching it.

Once it was dry I gently scrunched it with my hands to remove any "crustiness" the gel might have left behind.

So far I'm loving the results. My hair is alot curlier and clumpier (in a good way). I hope this a good sign of things to come. I'd really love to grow my hair out some but it's always been too dry to do it.

Good luck going CG... hopefully I've helped a little. :)

Seems you've absorbed a lot of tips off this site. That sounds like a great routine. :)

Some additional tips
    • Make sure any products you buy have no ingredients that end in cone or xane.
    • Expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.
    • There is typically an adjustment period of up to 6 weeks.
    • It can take some time and experimentation to find the right products and methods for your hair.
    • In the end, it doesn't work for everyone.

Hope you both have as much success with it as I have!

Good luck :)
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • rps23rps23 Posts: 53Registered Users
    Thanks :)...so does this mean I need only one conditioner or do I need 2 different types...one to Conditioner wash and one to actually condition...I'm finding that a bit confusing..
    Newly CG 2B/C

My hair loves Pantene Curl Mousse, Rich Conditioners
    & Diffusing

Hates Curl Cream & Gel

Growing to BSL

:money:

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    rps23 wrote: »
    Thanks :)...so does this mean I need only one conditioner or do I need 2 different types...one to Conditioner wash and one to actually condition...I'm finding that a bit confusing..

I only use one but many people find their "conditioning" conditioner too heavy to Co wash with. You can buy a co wash one for about $2. The sauve ones are around that much. I found out yesterday the heaviest in Sauve is the Tropical Coconut and the lightest is Aloe and Waterlily. Or you could just try with one in between, use it for both and see how you make out. :)

HTH
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's a great thread with a lot of the links you need to get started:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47564
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    So if you're doing the cg method, and you happen to straighten every once and awhile and use a product that has cones in it for heat protection, is the best way to rid the hair of it just to use a clarifying shampoo on it, will that do the trick? TIA!
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    aislin wrote: »
    So if you're doing the cg method, and you happen to straighten every once and awhile and use a product that has cones in it for heat protection, is the best way to rid the hair of it just to use a clarifying shampoo on it, will that do the trick? TIA!

Yes. The only way to remove silicones is to use a sulfate shampoo.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • marimari Posts: 44Registered Users
    rps23 wrote: »

I only use one but many people find their "conditioning" conditioner too heavy to Co wash with. You can buy a co wash one for about $2. The sauve ones are around that much. I found out yesterday the heaviest in Sauve is the Tropical Coconut and the lightest is Aloe and Waterlily. Or you could just try with one in between, use it for both and see how you make out. :)

HTH
    Thanks for answering this question. I have been confused about one or two conditioners myself.
    Currently experimenting with
    CoWash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze and VO5 Free Me Freesia
    Gels/Creams: FOTE, LA Looks, LOOB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file