My hair freaked out :(

PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
Yesterday I realized I had started CG without doing the last shampoo to get rid of the cones (and I used to use all sorts of cones before). I thought shampooing would be ok if I DTed after, BIG mistake.

My hair freaked out. It's dry, coarse, unruly, shrank to a 3rd of its length, it's just not my hair. Not even after my favorite Honey and AOHSR DT left for 2 hours with a shower cap my hair reacted well.

Today the shrinkage decreased, but my hair still feels dry and crunchy. What should I do? My hair was gorgeous and soft and shiny before, and now it's just a mess.

*cries*
3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you have any oil: coconut, palm kernel, one of the light ones around? Right now you need to add moisture. If you put a little of that in your hair--it should help. Possibly the Fruit of the Earth (FOTE) Aloe Vera Gel would help, too.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    Do you have any oil: coconut, palm kernel, one of the light ones around? Right now you need to add moisture. If you put a little of that in your hair--it should help. Possibly the Fruit of the Earth (FOTE) Aloe Vera Gel would help, too.

Thanks!! I put some aloe vera gel in it and I know I have some jojoba oil somewhere (I just moved, so everything's out of place).

Hopefully my hair will feel better tomorrow. Should I do another DT?
    3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Petal wrote: »
    Thanks!! I put some aloe vera gel in it and I know I have some jojoba oil somewhere (I just moved, so everything's out of place).

It sounds like your hair is really dry, so it might not hurt or over condition you. (if you get over conditioned you can do an ACV rinse) What are you using to DT? I one that's very easy and inexpensive.

4-6 oz coconut milk (freeze the rest in portions)
    1/4 c cheap conditioner
    3 T honey
    2-3 T coconut oil, melted
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    Petal wrote: »

It sounds like your hair is really dry, so it might not hurt or over condition you. (if you get over conditioned you can do an ACV rinse) What are you using to DT? I one that's very easy and inexpensive.

4-6 oz coconut milk (freeze the rest in portions)
    1/4 c cheap conditioner
    3 T honey
    2-3 T coconut oil, melted

I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose mixed with a little honey and jojoba or aloe oil.

Thanks for the new recipe! I've never heard of coconut milk DTs.
  • WannaLoveMyWavesWannaLoveMyWaves Posts: 53Registered Users
    I always have best luck after shampooing when I follow with a protein DT and then a moisturizing one.
    Mixture of type 2 hair
    First day of Wavy CG method: 08/22/08

http://public.fotki.com/WannaLoveMyWaves/
    PW: waves
    I always have best luck after shampooing when I follow with a protein DT and then a moisturizing one.

I wish I had asked before shampooing. The protein DT could've avoided the gazillion splits I got after the shampoo.

I've been doing Search and Destroys for the last 2 days :cussing: Thank God my hair is calming down already (it's not frizzy anymore thanks to the DTs, but still feels kinda dry).

Who knew shampoo was the main cause of my endless splits? Never again, that's for sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file