what are the tools...

rileysmama32208rileysmama32208 Posts: 69Registered Users
...you think every wavy should have?

just a little background, im 24 years old and have been desperately seeking straight hair most of my life. I decided about a week ago, that i was born with wavy hair for a reason , and i should embrace it! I've never used gel, or mousse, or anything like that, so this is ALL so new to me! What are your "cant live without" products?
2b/iii/low porosity/ normal elasticity
Currently loving:

Cowash: suave coconut and suave mountain strawberry
leave in: giovanni direct
style: FOTE avg under bella super spikes gel (yellow) with a tiny dot of honey
http://public.fotki.com/LoveRyGuy/

Comments

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    What's going to be your Holy Grail, or HG, product is going to vary from person to person, even with the same hair type and needs. It's all completely subjective. Some people want to enhance their waves/curls, some people just want to define what they have, some people just want to be nicer to their hair.

I'm different from you, in that I had straight hair for at least the first 18 years of my life, and when I got out of high school my hair started to change. For a while it pretty much always looked like I'd slept on it wrong. Then it started kinking up in the back, but no where else. Then it went full blown wavy, and has been getting moreso over the years.

I'm fairly new to this experiment, but I've found several products that work and that don't work, that I like and that I don't like. They're mostly in my sig (which I need to update, actually).

For starters, I would go to a drugstore or a WalMart or Target and get a REALLY wide tooth comb, a big bottle of Suave Naturals Conditioner, and a tub of L'Oreal Out Of Bed (more commonly referred to as LOOB around here). Start there and see what happens. Then report back!!
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • madmb20madmb20 Posts: 117Registered Users
    For starters, I would go to a drugstore or a WalMart or Target and get a REALLY wide tooth comb, a big bottle of Suave Naturals Conditioner, and a tub of L'Oreal Out Of Bed (more commonly referred to as LOOB around here). Start there and see what happens. Then report back!!

I agree. I'm in love with LOOB. I actually have only a tiny bit left in my jar. The first time I've EVER used all of a hair product. I use a leave in under the LOOB, because it tends to feel a little tacky if I don't. You could just leave in some of the conditioner. I also use FX gel for hold, over the LOOB.

I also find that I need to shampoo fairly often. If you want to go strictly CG you don't need one but after a few weeks if your hair is really crummy you'll probably want to wash it. I usually use a non-sulfate shampoo daily and a sulfate one once a week. Good luck! :tongue5:
    2A/B
    still working on it
    :wink:
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I would say every wavy should have a nice light CO wash, a fine tooth comb, a nice light condish, a curl cream and some sort of styler.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • frizzyMommyfrizzyMommy Posts: 39Registered Users
    I've been using Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel. Put it in your hair when your hair is still sopping wet and just scrunch or whatever you do. It holds well without leaving your hair crunchy or sticky. Good Luck!
    2b/c Hair
    Have no clue what to do with it :dontknow:
  • rileysmama32208rileysmama32208 Posts: 69Registered Users
    thanks everyone!! I know it varies from person to person, but i meant kinda like should every wavy have a wide toothed comb, and those clips (are they the ones that look lke a duckbill?) and stuff like that?

definitely going o try the suave conditioner and the LOOB... right now im trying toget out of the habit of touching my hair.. i've been plopping and tried the pineapple plop last night, but is the point of a pineapple to keep the roots not flat to my head? cuz it didnt do that, lol.

thanks again for the tips :)
    Currently loving:

thanks everyone!! I know it varies from person to person, but i meant kinda like should every wavy have a wide toothed comb, and those clips (are they the ones that look lke a duckbill?) and stuff like that?

definitely going o try the suave conditioner and the LOOB... right now im trying toget out of the habit of touching my hair.. i've been plopping and tried the pineapple plop last night, but is the point of a pineapple to keep the roots not flat to my head? cuz it didnt do that, lol.

thanks again for the tips :)

I would highly recommend a good seamless wide tooth comb, but other than that it's really about products. I don't clip my roots, but a lot of wavies/curlies do, so if you want to give it a shot, try it! I would also say it'd be worth it to buy a couple of scrunchies, so you can try pineappling. I've had mixed success with pineappling both wet and dry, but it's very popular and best done with a loose scrunchie.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • rileysmama32208rileysmama32208 Posts: 69Registered Users
    thanks again for all your tips :) i went to walmart yesterday and got a jar of LOOB, a bottle of Suave aloe and waterlily condish and a bottle of FOTE aloe vera gel...

its sad to think im 24 years old and have no idea what to do with my hair.. im such a non-product kind of girl, lol!
    Currently loving:

• TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Riley,

I was kind of subconsciously anti-product for most of my life, too. I thought that they would make my hair gross. Now I hardly leave my hair without them. It just doesn't work (for most people) w/out product. I'll echo what some have said--what works for one doesn't always work for another. I have 2C waves and will never use mousse again--but I'll give another vote for Herbal Essence TT. Sometimes I use like 8 things in my hair in one day--DT, lowpoo, condish mixed with oil & shea butter, leave in, curl creme, AVG, and gel. All for the better. But really--it's all up to you, so read, research, and experiment.

Tools--wide tooth comb, banana clips, microfiber towel or soft cotton T shirt for drying, diffuser for Northern climates in winter.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
    thanks again for all your tips :) i went to walmart yesterday and got a jar of LOOB, a bottle of Suave aloe and waterlily condish and a bottle of FOTE aloe vera gel...

its sad to think im 24 years old and have no idea what to do with my hair.. im such a non-product kind of girl, lol!

I'm a couple of years older than you, but it took me at least that long to get any kind of handle on my hair. Don't feel bad.
    Stolen.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users

I'm a couple of years older than you, but it took me at least that long to get any kind of handle on my hair. Don't feel bad.

ROFL - I was over 40 before I knew to scrunch my hair. You girls are way ahead of the game in my book. :D

Tools for me: T-shirt or flour sack towel for plopping, scrunchie for pineappling, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] for frizz reduction and definition, pick for conditioner distribution and de-tangling, spray bottle for spritzing, hair "pins" for clipping, gel and conditioner (no specific ones just have to be sure they're CG)
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file