Natural products for 5 year old

mumofcurlygirlmumofcurlygirl Posts: 472Registered Users
Hi everyone,

I have a 5 year old daughter who has 2c curls/waves,
Ive been co-washing only since 4th August but before that I only poo'd with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink] 2 times a week and co-washed in between, so she's been modified CG for about 2 months,
Ive just realised that the conditioner that Ive been co-washing her hair with has some dodgy ingredients (although it's CG)
I'm thinking abut going all natural and wandered if these conditioners were okay

Faith in Nature Aloe Vera conditioner:
ngredients: Aqua (Water from the Lake District), Aloe Barbadensis (Organic), Cetearyl alcohol (Coconut based wax), Cetrimonium chloride (Palm oil based conditioning agent), Brassica oleifera, Citrus limonum (Lemon Oil), Citrus aurantifolia (Lime Oil), Melaleuca alternifolia, Chlorophyllin - copper complex (natural colour), Limonene, Citral

Rosemary conditioner:
ngredients: Aqua (Water from the Lake District), Cetearyl alcohol (Coconut based wax), Cetrimonium chloride (vegetable based conditioning agent), Brassica oleifera, Rosmarinus officinalis, Melaleuca alternifolia, Chlorophyllin - copper complex (natural colour), Limonene

http://www.faithinnature.co.uk/index.asp

Ive also ordered some Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera gel

http://www.aubreyorganicsuk.co.uk/product-41-pure-aloe-vera.html

I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] as a leave in (which is natural I think)

Any other advice would be great :wink:
Trying to work out my 5 year olds 2c fine frizzy/curly hair

http://public.fotki.com/angel6901/
Password; curlygirl

Loving KBB and Kinky Curly!! :love7::

Comments

• TropicalesTropicales Posts: 6Registered Users
    I've recently started using Wen Cleansing Conditioner. It's not a shampoo, but it's a cleanser...basically a 4-in-1...shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner and detangler all in one.
    There are no unnatural ingredients and no ammonium and sodium laurel sulfate which strips the hair, or mineral oils, propylene glycol too.

My hair turns out soooo clean and manageable right away. And I have thick and wavy, sometimes ringlet curly hair. I haven't had to use any hair products either. I've used the natural styling creme it comes with and texture balm...I have yet to use the Moist Intensive Hair Repair.

That is ALL I've had to use. It's so nice to not have to buy so many bottles of this shampoo and that conditioner. It's only available online and they deliver it every 3 months for you. It's worth it.

There are so many uses with this product and your hair and scalp stay healthy...and it smells nice too.

Check the website and you'll see what I mean.
    http://www.wenhaircare.com/
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    uhm... I guess Tropicales didn't ever check the ingredient list on her Wen whatever, because a very simple search through CurlMart brought up a list of ingredients for the Cucumber Aloe Cleansing Conditioner, and it sure as heck isn't the all-natural alternative that momofcurlygirl is looking for.

Water, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Menthol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate 60, Witch Hazel, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Avacado Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Citric Acid, Methlisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Essential Oils.

I don't know what most of those unpronounceable ingredients are, but I do know that Menthol is a synthetic compound of peppermint oil, and it gives that tingly feeling (which is actually a chemical burn) that can be pleasant for some, but painful for others, such as the tender scalp of a five-year-old.

This is a perfect example of why people should never assume a product is "natural" because the label has a picture of fruit on it and there are unnamed essential oils listed as the last ingredient.
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    mymofcurlygirl, what were the dodgy ingredients you are trying to avoid?

The conditioners you listed look okay, but they are not completely natural. You said you wanted to use all-natural products, but that can be harder than you think, and you'll have to decide where you draw the line.

My personal example is this: in addition to the basic CG no-nos, I avoid any products that contain petrolatum/petroleum (made from crude oil, yuck!), hydrolyzed proteins (builds up on hair after awhile, it's a pain), parabens (possibly endocrine-disrupting, not worth the risk), menthol (chemical burning? no thanks), and basically anything that I can't pronounce.

That said, I do allow some exceptions, such as for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky-Curly Knot Today[/buylink], which has one or two unrecognizable ingredients listed towards the end, and the Jessicurl stylers, which I don't want to go to waste. So like I said, you need to decide where to draw the line. I hope that helps.

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • vwlizardvwlizard Posts: 91Registered Users
    My daughters hair was exactly like your daughter before I got it cut.

I use Dr. Bonner's Shakakai soap (as both a soap and poo) The baby version is unscented and comes in a blue bottle that looks like hand soap. I find it at Whole Foods and my local health food store. At WF I think is was in with the hand or bath soaps.
    I follow up with a spray of water and argan oil.

When she had her most recent hair cut the hairdresser was amazed. Her hair was in really bad shape a few months ago. He said that kids with that texture hair usually have lots of breakage and tangles, but hers was so silky and healthy. I told him what I was doing and he said, "with results like that, keep doing it"

The soap is fairly inexpensive ( $7-8) . I use the tiniest bit and it lasts a long time.

Liz
  • mumofcurlygirlmumofcurlygirl Posts: 472Registered Users
    Koukla72 wrote: »

Those conditioners look like they should be fine. A couple of the ingredients are processed but they are pretty benign. Whether that's accetable to you or not is your call. Just remember that's it's still possible for anyone to have an adverse reaction to anything, natural or lab-created. Diligence is, of course, still called for, especially with a sensitive-skinned little one. Which I'm sure you know. :)

• Aloe - is aloe :wink: , it's
      moisturizing and can be a film former
    • ceteryl alcohol - is a fatty alcohol. They're the moisturizing kind; they're also used as thickeners.
    • cetrimonium choride - is an ammonium salt. It can bond with and "condition" the hair, reducing static and fly-aways. It's also used as an emulsifier, to get oils and water-based ingredients to mix.
    • brassica oleifera - is a plant called "rape". I've most commonly seen rapeseed oil used and this may well be the oil, but they don't say which part of the plant is being used. *shrug*
    • the various citrus oils - can be skin sensitizers in sunlight, but since you'll be using this as a rinse-out conditioner that shouldn't be an issue. Keep an eye on it in case she is hypersensitive to them anyway.
    • rosmarinus officinalis - is rosemary
    • melaleuca alternifolia - is tea tree
    • chlorophyllin copper complex - is water-soluble chlorophyll, probably to make them green
    • limonene - a flourocarbon sometimes used as a preservative, it's the primary component of citrus peel oils. It can be an irritant in too large quantities but shouldn't be in the small quantities need for this purpose.
    • citral - a component of citrus essential oil, it's possibly used for scent in that first one. Can't imagine why, though, with all the citrus already in it.
    Looks like they don't really have any truly unnecessary fillers, or estrogenic herbs/ingredients that I'm aware of right off. (Something else to stay away from with children.) The first one looks like it should smell citrussy(!) and the second one like it should smell herbal. HTH!

EDIT - Just double checked, and tea tree oil does have estrogenic properties, so I wouldn't go with these for a young child after all. :(

Koukla72- Thanks for all the useful information, I'm not sure what estrogenic properties mean but I'm guessing I can't use these on her :sad8:
    I'm wanting to go natural but I really like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and it works on her hair so I'm going to make an exception for that :)

I think she may be sensitive to certain products and this may have caused the breakage, her hair is really delicate so I'm trying to find the mildest moisturising natural products for her hair, I just don't want to make it worse, I also don't want to be switching and changing her products too often

vwlizard- How old is your daughter?, you say she has a similar hair type have you had any problems with her hair? I'm in the UK so I'm not sure if I can get hold of Dr. Bonner's Shakakai soap I will have to google it :)

opera_curls- The dodgy ingredients are:

Inecto Coconut conditioner- Ingredients:
    Aqua, Ceteryl Alcohol, Stearalkonium chloride, Cetrimonium chloride, coconut oil, Parfum, Magnesium Nitrate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric acid.

All I know is that it's not that natural :sad8:
    What products would you recommend?

Just looked at the Chargrin Valley site can anyone tell me more about the shampoo and soap bars- I'm wandering are these CG??

Thanks for all the kind replies :toothy7:

Password; curlygirl

mumofcurlygirl - I personally have not used the CV bars (yet), but they are CG and a lot of girls here love the bars. There are (quite) a few threads on CV, both here on the all-natural forum and the General Hair board and the Product Review board. They get rave reviews for being gentle, completely natural, and moisturizing enough that a conditioner is not needed afterward, in some cases. There are a bunch of different "flavors," so I'm hoping you will be able to find one for your daughters needs, if you decide to go that route.

I second the Dr. Bronner's (not Bonner) castille soap. I have the baby-mild soap and I use it for pretty much everything. My big bottle cost me $8, and it is VERY concentrated, so a tiny drop is all that is needed to cleanse my hair. You can also dilute it with water, about 50/50, so it's less concentrated and even more mild.

If the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] is working well, by all means, keep using it. The non-natural ingredients seem benign, so I wouldn't worry about it. I use this to detangle my 5-year-old sister's 2b waves all the time, with no negative effects.

Organic Body Care Recipes by Stephanie Tourles is an excellent book with simple instructions and a detailed list of natural ingredients and their properties. If your daughter is sensitive to other body care products, this would be a good option. You can find the book on Amazon.com.

I LOVE HENNA!
    Oh no Ive gone and ordered a bar of Chagrin Valley Honey butter soap and a Carrot Milk Honey Shampoo Bar

Hope they are okay on her hair- if not I can use them as regular soaps :wink:
    Can't get Dr. Bonner's Shakakai soap in the UK but Chagrin Valley ship to the UK for $12

Password; curlygirl

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I use CV bars almost exclusively. They are CG and they are gentle and moisturizing and cleansing. They also have some detoxifying properties; a lot of people get funky hair when they first start to use them. My funky hair lasted a week and now I only do an acv rinse every once in awhile, and most of the time I don't need a seperate conditioner either, and my hair is very dry and has some chemical damage. The honey butter soap you ordered can also be used on hair, almost as a conditioner soap! I use it that way.

I have tried and liked:

Shampoo bars:
    Honey beer and egg
    extra honey beer and egg
    carrot milk and honey
    cafe moreno (my fave)
    I also have the rosemary mint to try but haven't yet.

Soaps: (btw, all these I've used on my hair and body)
    carrot honey complexion bar (more moisturizing than the shampoo bar version, another fave)
    honey butter
    orange creamsicle
    I have the olive/shea and cucumber lime yogurt too but haven't tried them yet.

Let me say I'm very sensitive to chemicals as well as other ingredients and have patch tested all but the honey butter and no reactions, even to the lavendar, patchouli, hops and ylang ylang in them (I've reacted to them before in other things) and they're all very gentle. I'm in the process of transfering my entire family over to all these instead of other things. HTH!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What rymorg2 said! I have been using CV bars pretty much daily, super moisturizing, extremely gentle, even detangling. Just don't get any in the eyes! I love the Babassu & Marsh Mallow poo bar, the Honey Butter soap, the Avocado Shea soap, Rosemary Mint poo bar-almost all except the carrot ones have been amazing for me. I tried Lavender Spice poo bar today, and it's great, too. And I still have a few from my last order that I haven't touched yet....I think I'm gonna be on a bar rotation forever! The soaps are great on the skin, too, and I cannot use any other soap-way too drying....it looks like with CV and all the other great responses, you have quite a few good options...I hope you find something that works for her & you :) ...
    Curly Girl Fla, why are the carrot shampoo bars not working for you? Do you just not like the smell, or does it negatively affect your hair?

I LOVE HENNA!
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curly Girl Fla, why are the carrot shampoo bars not working for you? Do you just not like the smell, or does it negatively affect your hair?

No-they all have smelled fantastic to me! I just find them to be a bit more drying to my hair (and skin) for some reason. They were both 'OK', and I would probably use them if I had no other options, but they just don't make my hair feel as good....I also tried the carrot/honey soap on my face (combo/oily skin), and it actually made it feel a bit tight. Not damaged, but dry...
    Hi everybody,
    Just want to say thanks for all the advice ect...
    I recieved a bottle of AO aloe vera gel this morning, I opened it and squirted some on my hand and its a liquid!! it just ran through my fingers!, I thought it would be more of a gel texture I might have to put it in a spray bottle :toothy7:
    Ive ordered some CV soaps and shampoo bar samples and a full bar of the Honey butter,
    I'm going to try the Castile and Calendua on her first as thats the baby soap and I will use the Honey Butter to condition- do you think this will be okay?

Password; curlygirl

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Yep, sounds good to me! :D
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hi there,
    Ive ordered the CV soaps still waiting for them to arrive,

Her hair is feeling really dry at the moment and its sooo frizzy,
    I used a sample of the FIN Aloe vera conditioner (ingredients listed at begining of thread) to co-wash 2 days ago and used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and Pure Aloe vera to detangle/condition- its just got worse in the past few days -it's dry tangly and dull it feels in worse condition than it was when I first started co-washing (20 days ago)
    I just want to cut it all off at the moment :sad1:

Password; curlygirl

• orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    i know it seems like avg works for most people, but it makes my hair dry & frizzy. a few other people (i think in the recipes board?) were saying the same thing. do you think it might be the avg? good luck, either way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file