Natural Salons vs. Non-Natural Salons

msjokermsjoker Registered Users Posts: 1,658
Where I live, there's a couple natural hair salons compared with many non-natural salons. Is this the case in your area as well? I hope there will be many more natural salons in the next few years where I live.
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• DocDoc Registered Users Posts: 367
    I think that's wonderful. The problem I've experienced time and again is that most times "natural" translates into braids. I'm awaiting the day when I can go into a "natural" salon in NC and get a salon steam treatment, wash, condition and style on my natural hair without a: blow dryer flat iron or curling iron. :lol:
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!
  • girlgcgirlgc Registered Users Posts: 55
    I think that if you are natural, go to a natural salon, if at all possible. I went to a "natural" salon in Charleston, SC, and she tried to make me get a relaxer. Fortunately, I found someone who knew how to do natural hair and she did WONDERS for my hair. Everytime she did my hair, I got complements. She twisted my hair, pressed my hair, and did all kinds of great styles with it.

I agree that there are very few natural salons. Right here in the DFW area, I have found 2 beauticians that do natural hair. One of them has done my hair and she did a great job. The other did someone I know and her hair looked awesome. Its a shame that there are so few truly natural salons in light of the fact that natural hair is now more popular.
  • blaqpearlblaqpearl Registered Users Posts: 310
    I wish I had a natural salon in my area. I have to drive two hours to one. I may do it sometime next year when I am ready for a trim.

I definitely would stay away from traditional salons because of the pressure. Who wants to keep hearing, all you need is a perm to that scalp organized.

No thanks.
    I have kinks, coils and curls on this head.
    Certified PJ. I need rehab.
    Hair Album
    Last update 1/1/07
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Many stylists work independently and just rent a space, so think about the stylist vs. the business establishment. The industry is still evolving, so you may encounter stylists who do both natural & relaxed. At the end of the day, if the person does good hair, charges fairly, and treats you right, it really doesn't matter what that person does to support his/her self outside of that. Many of the styists I've been to do both relaxed/texturized and natural hair. What matters to me is the service I receive when I'm in the chair. I will not judge/fault them for doing what they need to do to put food on their tables and support their families.
  • curliejcurliej Registered Users Posts: 55
    I have a great stylist here in Chicago that does natural and relaxed hair. What I love about her is that she is very supportive and will help you achieve whatever goals you desire for your hair. And she is very knowledgeable about hair. In the past, I sometimes felt like I knew more about hair than other stylists. So I agree it is not about the salon but about the individual stylist. You just need to find a stylist that will support your goals for your hair.
    Album
    http://public.fotki.com/janelle6/
    pw: pm me for password
  • travelgirltravelgirl Registered Users Posts: 71
    Doc wrote:
    I think that's wonderful. The problem I've experienced time and again is that most times "natural" translates into braids. I'm awaiting the day when I can go into a "natural" salon in NC and get a salon steam treatment, wash, condition and style on my natural hair without a: blow dryer flat iron or curling iron. :lol:

Doc:

I don't know exactly where you are in NC (I'm from there also) but Kira Bradsher who does the MyHoneychild products has a natural salon in Clayton. I've started going to her she doesn't blow dry or use -curling iron or flat irons. I haven't been going to that long-I've only had about 4 appointments so far but she may be worth checking out.
    BC: 03/26/05
    CW and no oil
    O with some S
  • msjokermsjoker Registered Users Posts: 1,658
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but I went a salon last year and I wanted a wet-set but my stylist said my hair wouldn't look right blah,blah,blah and I stupidly let her blowdry and flat-iron my hair. I lost some of my napps and I had to cut them out. That's the last time I went to a salon. But now, I want to be pampered and have someone else do my hair. One of the natural salons in my area deals only with locs and another one is really out of my way. One of my resolutions is to look for a good salon that is knowledgeable about natural hair and has reasonable prices.
    "It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."
  • girlgcgirlgc Registered Users Posts: 55
    I agree. Its about the stylist. But who makes up the salons? The stylists!

Anyway, I am not going to fault someone who wants to do all styles of hair, so they can "put food on their table" or so they can be diverse, but from my personal experience, the stylists that do relaxers are not truly interested in or really know how to do natural hair. The stylists that have done the best job on my natural hair have been the ones that no longer promote or do relaxers. I am sure that there are stylists who are able to do an excellent job with natural and relaxed hair, but I have not met any of them.

The way I found my stylists was by looking at women whose hair I liked and asking them where they got it done.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file