Who Else Gets 'The Look'?

msjokermsjoker Registered Users Posts: 1,658
I feel that since I became 100% natural, I get a certain look from other black women. I can't really describe the look I constantly get but I feel as though I'm being judged and sized up and down. Anyone else get this type of look? It's almost like they're saying 'Who am I to have natural hair?'
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    I've gotten all types of looks. Some of curiosity, and them some that stare and then tell the person they're walking with, while pointing, "I want my hair to look like that!" This actually happened on Xmas day.

Some are probably thinking that I need to run a comb through my hair, too. :roll:

I tend to notice the stares, but I haven't really noticed the "who do you think YOU are" stares. I could care less, anyway. Obviously my hair MUST look good if they're wasting their time thinking about what they think I should be doing with it. :wink:
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • msjokermsjoker Registered Users Posts: 1,658
    LOL, the staring doesn't really bother me but I'd like to know why they're staring. I was taught that it's rude to stare at others so I'm not familier with it. I didn't really notice the looks when I was relaxed.
    "It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Registered Users Posts: 529
    i know exactly what you mean! sistas assume i have a texturizer, so i dont get the "look" until after i confirm i dont! we all know how that goes though :roll:
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • DocDoc Registered Users Posts: 367
    When I'm rocking my wash and go or twist out, I get looks all the time, and I'm assuming they're positive because people that I know compliment me and ask for hair advice. I want so badly to tell those that stare that you too have this underneath all of the chemicals so let them go:!:
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!
  • blaqpearlblaqpearl Registered Users Posts: 310
    I have gotten that look one way or another my whole life. And it used to aggravates me. Who cares now.

I work in a place that I am the only black woman so I dont get that too much anymore. When I do go to the mall or go shopping, I could care less anymore. I am free and natural now. It looks good because it is mine and not permed.
    I have kinks, coils and curls on this head.
    Certified PJ. I need rehab.
    Hair Album
    Last update 1/1/07
  • HoneycombHoneycomb Registered Users Posts: 400
    Yes, everyday. But I attribute it to the fact that my hair is different, and whenever I go out someone with compliment me on my hair, asking how do I get it like that, or who does it? I'm flattered, because it's never a negative look!
    Natural since Oct. 2002. BC for the 3rd time in July 2008. 5-7" of natural 4a hair.

My pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=4tcfcwu.136flti6&Uy=w74a9e&Ux=0
  • cheleskilove1968cheleskilove1968 Registered Users Posts: 7
    I get it and feel proud when I do. It's like I'm exposing THEIR dirtly lil' secret(shhhh we're african under there).

It also screams that I'm being real..and your not.

To be fair,I do get looks of interest..those are the future nappies that are just gathering their information!
    IN HIM
    CHELE

PSWRD:KINKYCURL
  • TroDousTroDous Registered Users Posts: 241
    I get looks but I don't really pay as much attention. I know folks are trying to figure out if it's real...especially when I wear a pony/puff. But other than that I don't think it's bad...to be honest, I don't really notice as much.
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file