Swimming <Swim cap dread>

cavia1234cavia1234 Registered Users Posts: 19
So im on a competitive team during the regular winter swim season and during the other three seasons of the year i do other practices and clinics, etc. Swim caps are an almost daily part of my life. I have only one problem they do not fit over my hair. I have 3B type hair and its really really thick. The only way I have found I can get a cap on my head is to put my hair in two french braids which is horribly impractical since I cant do it myself and I have to have my mom braid my hair for me. I need to know if anyone has any advice on how to put my hair so it fits in a cap and/or what the best kind of caps are to use with huge hair. Thanx..:albino:
:happy10: Curl Type ~ 3b
~CG~ No combing except for finger combing; No towels; Air dry with occasional diffusing

~Trying to develop new ways of styling hair~

**Essential Products*
L.A. Looks Cashmere Curls
Aussie Sun-Touched Shine Gel
VO5 Co-Wash
Olive Oil/Conditioner for Deep Conditioning
Lavender Oil
African Royale Daily Doctor
Lustrasilk Moisture Max

Comments

• Koukla72Koukla72 Registered Users Posts: 1,680
    Are you wetting down your hair first? That definitely helps with not only reducing the volume but getting your hair saturated with non-chlorinated water first, in case any pool water leaks in. Which it usually will.
  • cavia1234cavia1234 Registered Users Posts: 19
    I have tried wetting it then braiding it. Maybe i should try wetting it and then putting it into a bun before i go to practice then just slip the cap on when i get there? :)
    ~CG~ No combing except for finger combing; No towels; Air dry with occasional diffusing

**Essential Products*
    VO5 Co-Wash
    Lavender Oil
    Lustrasilk Moisture Max
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Registered Users Posts: 1,680
    Sure. A wet bun is how I've always put my swim cap on - really loose, though, so it's more flat to my head than a tight bun is. More of a coil than a bun. I've even wet it and then added a bit of conditioner before putting it loosely up and pulling on the cap. Try it - hopefully it'll work for you. :) (Out of curiosity, does your pool not have showers? I've always waited until I got to the locker room to wet my hair before putting the cap on, which made it more presentable and less cold for me in the winter while getting there.)
    well i know some of the pools i go to have showers and others i assume do but im really unfamiliar with them so im not sure. the only problem is that alot of times i get to practice and im in a rush and only have a couple minutes to get into the pool so its not always the easiest thing to manage to get enough time to use the shower there. im currently on a break from swimming cuz my summer team ended and im waiting for fall clinics to start so i have been experimenting with different ways of getting my cap on and then going in my backyard pool to see how it works. i did find something that has worked pretty well today. i put my hair in a lose bun then put it in a silicone cap cuz they are more strechy but my hair pushes them off and then to keep it on i put a latex on ove top of it. im still experimenting with this tho.:icescream:

**Essential Products*
    VO5 Co-Wash
    Lavender Oil
    Lustrasilk Moisture Max
  • goldilocks777goldilocks777 Registered Users Posts: 1,020
    I always put my hair in a low pony, then flipped the ponytail over my head. The cap stayed anchored pretty well on the base of the ponytail, and flipping it over my head spread out the rest of the hair pretty evenly. Not sure how long your hair is, though?

Would regular braids work instead of french braids? They are much easier to do by yourself.
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Registered Users Posts: 1,732
    I have LONG 3B hair and I just wet it. I put my cap on then wrap the hair into a fake bun and shove it up under the cap. No biggie...and no matter how much of a rush you are in, there is always time to get your head under a shower to wet it...and all else fails then jump inthe pool first then put the cap on.
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I wear swim caps daily also. I have a BIG head, and a LOT of hair, and regular swim caps explode into shreds, or shoot off like rubberbands, so I buy the Speedo "long-hair" caps, in silicone, not latex (latex is too weak).

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3620.htm

Wetting hair with fresh water first is essential to protect from damage. I also put a little conditioner on it. I use a low ponytail and flip it forward and put my swimcap on back-to-front. It stays on perfectly.
    wow redcat thats exactly what happens to me caps always break or fly off in the water. im going to look into that cap maybe it will work for me....i hope...:laughing7:

**Essential Products*
    VO5 Co-Wash
    Lavender Oil
    Lustrasilk Moisture Max

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji