We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Do high heels hurt?

tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
I rarely wear heels if ever, pretty much my everyday attire is a pair of sneakers. I know boring.

After watching What not to Wear on TLC and hearing them say heels don't hurt if they're expensive/well made I still don't buy it.
3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• ChakraChakra Posts: 172Registered Users
    Oh... but it IS true!! If you buy well made expensive heels that are the right size they will NOT hurt. I love heels! They are sexy. 8)
  • NessyNessy Posts: 788Registered Users
    it depends - they can hurt. but i don't think price has anything to do w/ it. i've bought some inexpensive heels that are comfortable.

but i must say that a pair of nice heels make a girl feel sexy.
    I don't for a second believe in wearing shoes that hurt. You can tell by looking at someone if their shoes hurt. They walk funny and have a pained look on their face and that is NOT sexy. :shock:
  • the doctorthe doctor Posts: 393Registered Users
    It depends. The right fit helps, but if they're massively tall, you're going to feel it in the balls of your feet no matter how well they fit, just because of all the weight going on that small area.
    spring1onu wrote:
    I like having something "down below"
    smurfette wrote:
    What would you call it, sci-fi guru?
    don't click this. seriously.
  • ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    I find that if I wear them daily, they hurt. As it is, I usually wear runners, so the occasional high heel doesn't bother me. Plus, how high is high? I wear 3" heel well, but I just don't look graceful teetering on 4" heels.
  • Pacific PoppyPacific Poppy Posts: 253Registered Users
    I never wear heels, because A) I'm worried they'll hurt, and B) I'm worried I wont know how to walk in them and end up walking like a hooker.

I really want to get some heels, maybe go get them at Naturalizer. Maybe I'll make the saleswoman show me how to walk in them :oops: . LOL, they've been kind to my past crazy requests.
    3c, CG Fine hairs, med growth.
    Formerly "Rainyday"
    My mom's secret is walking only on the toes and balls of your feet. She looks good when she does it, but I end up looking sneaky. :lol:
  • BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think it's luck if you find an inexpensive pair of heels that don't hurt. I also know that just because something has a huge price tag on it, that doesn't automatically make them comfortable.

But generally, for a heel to be super comfortable, they have to be high quality; and the higher the quality of the shoe, the more you're going to pay for them. I have one pair that I paid a decent amount for and I can stand in them all day, run in them, you name it.

I like to think of heels as an investment. If you get a good pair in all of the standard colors, you can wear them for a long time and they won't go out of style. But some shoes, like Manolos are just plain No-No's to me. I cannot spend a months rent on some shoes.

But if anyone knows where to find inexpensive heels that don't hurt after 20 minutes please let me know. :D
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    So what brands do you all have that don't hurt?

And how much does a good quality heel cost? I don't have $400 to plunk down on some shoes.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • oingo-sproingooingo-sproingo Posts: 144Registered Users
    My journey through foot comfort has been a long one. My feet are far more sensitive than most, I believe. There was a shoe that ALL my girlfriend's said was "sooo comfy" or "doesn't really hurt at all" that made my feet ache within minutes. But, as I marked in the poll, a well made shoe does NOT hurt. I plunked down $250 for a pair of 3.5" heels and I tell you, I can wear those babies for 10 hours straight, on my feet all day, and they feel wonderful. I have a $100 pair that are pretty good as well, and a $80 pair that last at least a couple hours -- OK for a night out on the town. They don't always have to cost that much --- brands that target sensitive feet (Easy Spirit, Naturalizer, etc.) actually have some really cute looking heels that are comfy!
    Formerly agk

*All 2s and 3A (hair has been wonky lately)
    *Currently enjoying Elucence MBC, Abba Nourishing, Giovanni Vitapro, Abba Gel-Lotion, Redken Spin Control
  • BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    tgreyz wrote:

And how much does a good quality heel cost? I don't have $400 to plunk down on some shoes.

Try Kenneth Cole Reaction, Anne Klein, Gucci, Madison, or Coach. That's all I can think of right now.

What I recommend is going to Neimans, Macy's, or Bloomy's and heading straight to the clearance rack. Go during the anniversary or semi-annual sales. Also, sign up for their e-minders and look for coupons.

And I would pay anywhere from $80-$200 for shoes. Less than $80 makes my little toe whimper and more than $200 is just beyond me.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
    tgreyz wrote:

I have Cole Haans that cost about 250. I also have Manolos, Jimmy Choos and Mui Mui that are about 400-500. I also have Marc Jacobs. MJ are usually very comfortable because the toes are rounded and cost 300-400.

I have one pair by Charles David and they look so uncomfortable because they are 3 inches and basically have two straps on top to hold them on your feet. They were 190 and very comfortable.

I'm sure you could find heels that are less expensive that are comfy but I haven't found them.
    Wow, you guys spend on those shoes! I also want to add that certain brands have a tendency to be made to fit a certain foot shape. Some brands tend to be more narrow or have a low arch or place the arch closer to the toes, and so forth. If a pair of shoes fits you well, other shoes by that brand are a good place to start.
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    I have found that generally the more expensive ones are more comfortable. However, I do have a couple of cheap pairs that are very comfy. I would suggest trying them on in the store, but then when you get home, wear them for an hour or so around the house. If they aren't comfortable return them. Of course you will have to stay on carpet and not scuff them if you have to return, but wearing them for an hour or so should be a pretty good indication of how comfortable they'll be.
  • s.temples.temple Posts: 48Registered Users
    i dont know, heels always hurt my feet. the whole thing with them being the right size and everything, well i have never had a pair of shoes fit perfectly. i have about a size 7 but need a double wide or somehing like that. all this time i have been buying size 9 shoes because they seemed like they fit right. but the last time i went to buy a pair of shoes, they actually measured my foot. so next time i will have them order a size 7 double wide or whatever in the shoes i want.
    s.temple wrote:
    i dont know, heels always hurt my feet. the whole thing with them being the right size and everything, well i have never had a pair of shoes fit perfectly. i have about a size 7 but need a double wide or somehing like that. all this time i have been buying size 9 shoes because they seemed like they fit right. but the last time i went to buy a pair of shoes, they actually measured my foot. so next time i will have them order a size 7 double wide or whatever in the shoes i want.

Nordstrom is a GREAT place to shop for shoes in situations like yours.
  • lazykerrilazykerri Posts: 650Registered Users
    You need another choice: I don't wear heels because they hurt.

Heels hurt me, and so do shoes that don't have enough support, etc. etc. Maybe I'm a special case? I also wear wide width shoes and often can't find them, which is a real pain. I also don't wear heels because I really don't know how to walk in them, when I do wear them I feel like I'm falling rather than walking. I never ascribed to the 'beauty is pain' thing; if it's a choice between beauty with pain vs. plain without, I'll take plain any day! It's just not worth it to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    I love wearing heels! At 5'2", heels help me get a little taller, and make my legs look a little longer. They're slenderizing if you can walk in them.

I always laugh at the makeover shows when the women get a whole new wardrobe/look and noone taught them how to walk in the new heels they bought. They're all clunky and waddling.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    I saw that same show and protested loudly at my tv. Lazykerri is right, but you DO have a choice.

It depends upon the type of heel. Stilettos are bad for your feet no matter how expensive they are and who makes them. The bigger (thicker) the heel, the more comfortable. The more evenly your body weight is distributed over a larger heel, the better. Basic physics. If you put all your weight on a stiletto heel and the balls of your feet, that isn't good--too much pressure on those areas. It also depends upon the surface upon which you'll be walking and how much walking/standing you'll be doing.

Heels are sexy--no doubt about that. Save them for the times when you are not going to be on your feet much--or at all, for that matter :wink: . Not only are they hard on your feet (bunions and hammer toes in the future) but they are hard on your back. Not now necessarily, but I guarantee you'll be sorry in the future--I see it at work every single, solitary day on my older female patients. On a dinner date, movie, theater, or any other primarily sit-down place, but not dancing or strolling or a party where you'll be up on your feet.

I wore high-heel boots--not stiletto, but not chunky either--to our company xmas party recently. I did very little walking. My feet were SCREAMING by the time I got home. Had we not found parking close to the restaurant, which was a hugely difficult feat, I would've had to take my shoes off to walk to the car.

I love heels, too, and used to wear them EVERYWHERE. Now, I love the fact that my feet don't hurt after work, that I don't have to worry about stumbling because my ankle gives out. I just like being more comfortable overall. I love being able to walk as much as I need to without worrying about foot pain/blisters.

Story: In college we traveled to UCSF from small town in Nor Calif. to help pick up the cadaver for our anatomy class. When this task was complete and the cadaver was on his way back to our school with the driver, we decided to spend the rest of the day shopping and walking around downtown SF. Of course, Miss Gotta Be Cute All the Time wore some kind of heels--don't remember what kind. Long before the day was over, my feet were sore and covered with blisters--so painful that I began to hobble instead of walk and eventually ended up taking my shoes off. Walking completely barefoot around downtown SF, risking stepping on who knows what. We were blocks and blocks from our car, and I was ruining the trip for the other people I was with. It was filthy, dangerous, painful, and people were looking at me like I was crazy, walking around barefoot like that. I couldn't go into stores anymore because once you take your shoes off, the pain and swelling gets so much more intense, you can't even put your shoes back on and you can't go into most places barefoot. I have more stories like this than not, with regard to wearing heels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • CurlEEEECurlEEEE Posts: 308Registered Users
    I've had 2 foot surgeries aggravated by high heels. But I still wear the darn things!!! Not daily but on occasion. Zappos does have some heels that are comfortable (hush puppies).
    3A/3B (not really sure)/No Shampoo/Conditioner Only/Honey/Aussie Volumizer+condish/Biolage Gel/Plop/Diffuse/Spritz of Bed Head Maxxed Out
    Password: CurlEEEE
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    The heels I wear are middle of the road to higher priced ones, and they don't hurt me, although I never wear more than 3 inches because at that point I can't walk well and I really don't need the extra height. I have had good luck with Kenneth Cole, Cole Haan, Coach, and Nine West. Nine West sells very affordable shoes, and you can usually catch them on sale at department stores or a Nine West outlet, if you live near one.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    my $300+ shoes hurt as much as my $50 shoes. And other $300+ shoes are as comfy as my other $50 shoes. I once lived in a pair of payless heels that were amazingly comfortable. It's all about the cut. My most comfortable heels are a pair of round toe shoes with a thicker heel. They look like betty boop shoes. Just try on the shoes in the evening after your foot has swollen a bit.

When I was hardcore into yoga, my feet started going all funky on me and heels became a bit of a challenge. I had to get into the practice of wearing them again for them to be comfortable.
  • SmithsGirlSmithsGirl Posts: 100Registered Users
    I voted, "Yes, but I tell people they don't." I rarely wear heels and when I do, my feet are always sore by the end of the day, no matter how cheap or expensive the shoes were.

I think a lot of women wear them and put up with them because they look good, and they just get used to being uncomfortable. You may not realize the discomfort and pain shoes are causing until you switch to a comfortable pair.

If you like 'em, wear 'em. If you don't, there are plenty of cute flats out there now. The older I get, the more concerned I am with being comfortable.

Ladies who wear wide or doube wide: check out www.cloudwalkers.com. You can purchase them in Avenue stores or online. Very reasonably priced and generally very comfortable even in a moderate heel.
    "In the days when you were hopeless and poor, I just liked you more."

formerly jodib70
    3a/3b, baby fine; growth goal: bra strap length.
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users
    I HATE wearing heels. I am not one to pay over $100 for shoes/boots (and even that is a rarity). Plus, I have the longest, skinniest legs know to man. Heels are so NOT sexy on me, and I know this. They always hurt, and I have recently sworn them off, period. Thicker heeled ones might be OK, but that's it.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • SkySky Posts: 58Registered Users
    Chakra wrote:
    s.temple wrote:

Nordstrom is a GREAT place to shop for shoes in situations like yours.

I second the vote for Nordstroms! You can find everything from a $500 pair of shoes to a $25 pair.

If you only wear heels on special occasions (say twice a year or so), in my opinion, high heels will almost always hurt your feet. For example, my Mom wears sneakers to work and then once a year (usually Christmas) puts on heels and her feet hurt within the hour. Now that the folks are taking cruises a few times a year, and she wears heels on the fancy dinner night, she can wear a heel more comfotably.

Also, my most expensive pair of shoes are my most uncomfortable pair. A price isn't so much a factor as fit. Where is your in-step, how is your weight distributed, how secure is it on your foot, etc. I find that if I stick to the same few designers, I consistantly have comfy shoes. Once I wander out to get that one pair from a designer that I rarely wear, my feet hurt.

There is nothing less sexy than a woman walking funky in heels because they are either too high or her feet hurt. It looks hysterical!!
  • RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users
    I have such a love-hate relationship with heels. They're cute but they hurt! I'm short and I have small feet so a 4" heel is crazy tall for me. I can walk around comfortably in well made heels that are no taller than 3" and it helps if the heel is rather blocky. My favorite everyday heels are these. They're very comfortable for walking around my office but I would not want to wear them to walk my dogs. Even with a heel that short, I would feel it in my knees for days. These are more comfortable for my old-woman bones. Heels 3" or higher I save for nights out with dh but only if I know in advance I won't be walking much.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    I wear heels when I go out, either boots or sandals depending on the season. They really make an outfit IMO. I can't be bothered to wear them to work anymore though.

I try to stay between 2 and 3 inches and as long as I don't have to walk any long distances I'm fine.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    i voted. :lol:
  • bouncebounce Posts: 297Registered Users
    I wear 2-3" heels basically every day. I have no problems with any of them....even my Payless boots I have on right now.
  • frizzybarbiefrizzybarbie Posts: 483Registered Users
    I wear 2 - 3" heels at least twice a week to work...either boots or just plain pumps...they really dress up a pair of jeans :)
    4a pencil-sized corkscrews that are low porosity, fine, thick, & layered

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file