The Official Online Dating Diaries Thread

Comments

• CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    I'm considering joining Match.com.

I put-up a profile and keep getting all these messages which I cannot see because I haven't paid to join...

Hmmmmm.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I have several possible guys in my life right now. I'm waiting for them to make a move.

It's kind of frustrating for me - I'm the outgoing type for seeking friendship, don't hesitate to ask guys out, etc., but I have discovered that in romantic relationships, I HAVE to let the guy make the first move. If he doesn't he's either not interested enough in me or he's too intimidated by me. That doesn't mean he has to actually ask me out, but he has to go out of his way to spend time with me and be around me and show interest.

D - let us know if you do Match! I bet there are more decent guys on it in NYC than there are here.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    Here's my idea...I'm going to wait until I have 100 messages waiting for me and then I'll pay to join. (I already have about 30 and it's only been a day.)

Because if there's 100 guys, odds are there's two or three nice ones...
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Here's my idea...I'm going to wait until I have 100 messages waiting for me and then I'll pay to join. (I already have about 30 and it's only been a day.)

Because if there's 100 guys, odds are there's two or three nice ones...

Join now! All 30 could be nice. I've been on dating sites and met a number of guys from them in person. And honestly, there wasn't a single one (who made it to the in-person meeting stage) who wasn't nice. I still casually keep in touch w/ a few. It's not going to be a perfect "love connection" every time but you will have a lot of fun just going out and getting to know them. Don't psyche yourself out!

I'm going to go for it!

What's $100 in the long haul?

Besides, emails are deleted after 30 days, so I'd hate to let a really nice guy slip by because I took too long to join.

My therapist always used to encourage me to do online dating because she knew how shy I was.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    CIBC...what about our mutual acquaint who has since moved to NYC? :glasses7:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    I'm not sure how welcome I am on this thread since I'm not officially "dating" anymore, but I did meet my fiance online...so I'll give it a shot. It wasn't through a traditional dating site, but through a forum/chat where we had shared interests. (Kind of like how people meet on NC.com and sometimes have IRL get-togethers.) Have any of you guys tried visiting sites where its totally not a dating site and met someone that you might be romantically interested in? You can't really go in with the idea that you'll meet someone of course, but I always think it's easier to meet someone with something in common besides being single. Just my .02. :wave:
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

You mean the one that just casually mentioned his girlfriend to me? (Had no idea she existed :( )
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not sure how welcome I am on this thread since I'm not officially "dating" anymore, but I did meet my fiance online...so I'll give it a shot. It wasn't through a traditional dating site, but through a forum/chat where we had shared interests. (Kind of like how people meet on NC.com and sometimes have IRL get-togethers.) Have any of you guys tried visiting sites where its totally not a dating site and met someone that you might be romantically interested in?

i've been doing that since 1993 - it hasn't helped.

(eta: yes, 1993, no that is not a misprint.)
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    Charming!!!!

It would be nice if you did not weigh a ton. Curves are great, I love curves on a woman, but I do not have a huge figure, and you should not, either.

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    ///
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote: »
    oh my goodness...i don't understand why a person would take the time to post that...if he doesn't like what he sees, why not just move on and skip your profile?

any good ones in there CIBC?

Oh, he didn't write it to ME, it's in his profile and he sent me a message...and that was quite a turn-off!!!!!

Seriously, if a girl who "weighs a ton" emails him, why not just respond?!?!?!??!
    ///
    And he also writes that he looks crappy in photos and is much better looking in person...

Can i respond with, "Please do not message me if you don't look good in photos. I don't want to risk ruining vacation and wedding photos."
    ///
    I try, I try.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ha! :wink:
    I kinda want to write him back and tell him what a turn-off that part of his profile is even for a thin woman to read.
    ///
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If someone did guide him, then he has poor judgement.

I vote, skip him.
    I just don't get why he would have to write that stuff about weighing a ton...there's a part in the "what you're seeking" in a date part for body type. Couldn't he just put "slim" in that section and leave it at that?

Why post that other stuff and come-off as shallow and idiotic as he does?
    ///
    He actually went to a college that put on a play I wrote a couple of years ago...that WOULD have been a good conversation starter!

You mean the one that just casually mentioned his girlfriend to me? (Had no idea she existed :( )
    doh.gif
    oy...hang in there!
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

doh.gif
    oy...hang in there!

I'm just glad it was in an email and not in person...he would have seen that "slap across the face" look I'm sure I had.
  • ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    I haven't read through this thread, but what do you all think about an 18 year old using a dating site? Weird?
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
    Hmmmmmmmm...

So, there was a guy in college that I ran in the same circle with. (We both did the TV/news station.) We also went to high school together. I always thought he was really smart and nice, but he was also very quiet and shy.

The last time I saw him was when he emailed me to see if I was going to a reunion our department had four years ago.

I just stumbled upon his match.com profile, and it was very well-written and cute...I shot him a facebook message joking around that I had stumbled-upon his profile and that now I know there are some nice, normal guys on there.

Who knows...I always thought he was cool and he's clearly single..............................................(and I've known him for about ten years. So that's a plus...)

We'll see if he responds.

And our last names rhyme. Total sign. haha. Just kidding.
    g/l, D~!
    0004.gif

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cibc that is interesting about the last guy you posted about. i hope you two can connect. really there are ALL sorts on match. they do such an incredible marketing campaign they probably get the most folks and although eharmony says they are a "relationship" site and they imply that match and others are "dating" sites the simple fact is a lot of guys wouldn't do the stuff it takes to complete the eharmony profile. match is much easier. remember, people come and go all the time and new members join all the time, especially folks moving to a new city or out of relationships and ready to meet "the one". that said, you just sort of have to not get too excited about someone until you have a reason too. i was guilty of this and i became totally disenchanted. now i just let the match thing go on in the background of my life and i've made a few connections so we'll see but i'm definitely not as disappointed if something doesn't pan out.

one thing i'd advise, if someones profile rubs you the wrong way then simply avoid it. i don't see it as my place to tell someone they are an idiot because of something they say in their profile OR because they spell like a 3 year old. focus on the ones you like not the ones you don't like. on match i'll look at a guys profile but might not e-mail them. i know people use that who viewed me function. i figure if he sees that i looked at him and he looks at me, if he's interested he'll e-mail me, if not oh well.

so my funny match story as of late, i met a guy who told me he had a pitbull....i was thinking "uh oh, our dogs will be incompatible"....my sweet boys would be scared of a pit, heck i would too especially since he said he lets the dog bite him in the face and he plays aggressively with him. it gets better, imagine my face when he said the dogs name was mutha **cker but he called him "mofo" for short...and he's in his 40's, executive and thought that was ok. wow-sers. oh he too made a point to say that he wanted a woman with a real big booty....lol!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • tikigodstikigods Posts: 165Registered Users
    This thread. :notworthy:
    "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."- Kurt Cobain

FNNlm4.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights