We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

The Official Online Dating Diaries Thread

cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
Since so many of us are dating online, we should have a thread to discuss our dates.

I'll go first...

I have a date tonight! He's 31 and lives in Brooklyn. I honestly don't think he's that attractive, but this picture is the reason I winked at him....

66047555H.jpeg

He's 31, lives in Brooklyn, and seems to be on the "artistic" side...totally not my type, but oh well. I agreed to go out with him tonight, but then I remembered that there was a concert that I wanted to go to. Luckily, he thought it was a great idea. So, we're meeting at a little restaurant nearby to grab a drink and then we're going to the concert at nine. Wish me luck!
I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:

Comments

• cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    Oh, and my match dot com jerk of the day story...

I winked at this guy, he winked back, but his profile didn't say that much about him. So, I asked what he like to do for fun in the city. This is his reply...
    Hhmmm... YOU maybe... :o)

M******

This was my response...

Nice...I know what you're here for....

Idiots!
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Blech! :snorting:

I'm not dating online, but I sure enjoy the stories.
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users
    cyndi wrote: »
    Oh, and my match dot com jerk of the day story...

I winked at this guy, he winked back, but his profile didn't say that much about him. So, I asked what he like to do for fun in the city. This is his reply...
    Hhmmm... YOU maybe... :o)

M******

This was my response...

Nice...I know what you're here for....

Idiots!

Cindy, I am not on match but you do get a lot better response if you only contact guys that their profile says long-term. I don't contact anyone that their profile says dating, or hangout or other relationship.
    To me, if it doesn't say long term, they are just looking for a fwb's or hook up.
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    In my age group there are slim pickings. I am spending most of my time turning them down. Tonight one guy said he loved my hair. I really wish I could have loved him. :wink:
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    In my age group there are slim pickings. I am spending most of my time turning them down. Tonight one guy said he loved my hair. I really wish I could have loved him. :wink:

Boy the online dating tales I could tell!! Luckily I did find my husband that way and he cancelled out all the bad, wacky and frustrating dates I had :wink:

Gstring- you like a bit like Ann Wedgeworth (Lana from Three's Company among other shows) in you picture ,but much pretty and curlier! Have you been told that in person??

ann-wedgeworth-lana.jpg

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.celebritynooz.com%2Fwatn%2Fann_wedgeworth.html" class="Popup
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users
    cyndi wrote: »
    Since so many of us are dating online, we should have a thread to discuss our dates.

I'll go first...

I have a date tonight! He's 31 and lives in Brooklyn. I honestly don't think he's that attractive, but this picture is the reason I winked at him....

66047555H.jpeg

He's 31, lives in Brooklyn, and seems to be on the "artistic" side...totally not my type, but oh well. I agreed to go out with him tonight, but then I remembered that there was a concert that I wanted to go to. Luckily, he thought it was a great idea. So, we're meeting at a little restaurant nearby to grab a drink and then we're going to the concert at nine. Wish me luck!

Aw, that little dog is so cute, I love his little face! (Sorry to guano)
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Spider wrote: »

Boy the online dating tales I could tell!! Luckily I did find my husband that way and he cancelled out all the bad, wacky and frustrating dates I had :wink:

Gstring- you like a bit like Ann Wedgeworth (Lana from Three's Company among other shows) in you picture ,but much pretty and curlier! Have you been told that in person??

ann-wedgeworth-lana.jpg

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.celebritynooz.com%2Fwatn%2Fann_wedgeworth.html" class="Popup

I was actually thinking she looks like Lesley Anne Warren..

:)
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    To the OP:

My best friend is doing online dating but she's going to online dating sites and not getting much luck (She's 40) I've never gone to an online dating site but I did meet my current SO online. Try to join a forum that you're interested in to meet people...the relationship date sites attract guys like that @sshole you were talking about. Good luck with it!
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • KeeweeKeewee Posts: 1,376Registered Users
    What I want to know is they talk about woman but what is it with these men and going shirtless and the photos that some of them load up, my goodness.. Keep your shirts on.. I had met this guy on match a couple of years ago and (very goodlooking) but if you saw his profile he had at least 20 pics of himself, I mean really..Sometimes I wonder if they put up all those pictures for self confidence reasons.. I would love to put his search name here so you can look for yourself.On Match, I mean it is public viewing..
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    I do the online dating thing for kicks! I have paid for Yahoo personals, match and chemistry.com...but for fun I hang with PlentyofFish.com, its free. It looks like I have 3 dates this weekend if they all call. Friday is with a hottie but he lives about 50 minutes away. Saturday afternoon coffee is with a fellow curly that is really funny. I think I like him the best. And Saturday night is with some guy who I have not talked to in a while who called out of the blue and I figured I would give him a chance...
    Ill be able to fill in the drama after the dates!

Good luck with yours Cyndi!
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I peruse the sites, but I can never bring myself to pay for any of them, so things never progress.

plentyoffish is free, but I never found anyone I was really interested in on there.

I am willing to admit that my attitude sucks! Online dating doesn't feel like anything but a chore to me. I resort to it when things IRL get to be desert-like in the man department. Then things pick up IRL and I drop online like the bad habit that it is [for me anyway].
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users
    Those of you who do online dating, which sites would you recommend or stay away from?
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I am willing to admit that my attitude sucks! Online dating doesn't feel like anything but a chore to me. I resort to it when things IRL get to be desert-like in the man department. Then things pick up IRL and I drop online like the bad habit that it is [for me anyway].

Same here. IF I'm looking at a profile, rather than a person, I'm looking with a checklist in mind. Honestly, men online just rarely seem the least bit appealing.

If I'm going through too much real-life dating slump, I do speed dating. I've found I end up going on dates with 1/4 to 1/3 of the guys I meet there, because I'm more open when meeting actual humans, not facing a computer screen. I have some kind of fun speed dating stories...
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    Those of you who do online dating, which sites would you recommend or stay away from?

I think that as long as you are smart about it any site is fine. I tried the sites you pay for but I didnt find a 'greater caliber' of guy. There are normal guys on the free sites. But the free sites do get alot of wierdos...but they normally show thier true colors pretty fast. Asking for more pictures, wants to meet RIGHT AWAY for drinks...doesnt have much info in their profile. Im a PRO when it comes to online dating ;) Its keeping them around for longer than 6 weeks that has me stumped...
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

netG, since we're similar in this way, perhaps I should try speed dating next time I'm in a slump.
    netG, since we're similar in this way, perhaps I should try speed dating next time I'm in a slump.

It's definitely worth checking out! I use predating speed dating, which is associated with Ok Cupid now. So there's a month of free internet dating which I just don't use. They let you choose whether or not to communicate with the guys online so they don't give out any of your contact info.

I don't know what it's like in other places, but I have found the speed dating here is almost all educated professionals. I've met professors, hotel managers, lawyers, bankers, teachers, marketing guy for a bookstore chain, and many engineers. Tucson is NOT high in professionals compared to blue-collar type jobs, so the ratio at speed dating is surprisingly high.

My favorite story was the guy who said he was a chef, with a snooty air. And it turned out he specifically cut up vegetables at an old folks' home. When he walked in (early) he looks around and I'm the only female in the room, and says "well, typical women are going to be fashionably late." The woman running the thing and I just looked at each other... When he got to my station, he said he likes eating out at nice restaurants, looks me up and down and says "I can tell you do, too." Umm.... wow. He then spent far too much time bragging about how he had a really nice car. Given I had parked next to a different guy who drove up in a Corvette (and didn't mention his car) I was curious what this guy drove. Turned out, it was about a 5 year old Prelude. Now, I wouldn't think LESS of a guy for driving a Prelude. But I did think less of him for bragging about his fancy car...
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

Yeah, good for some anecdotes at least, huh?

It's always interesting to identify those single people — IRL or online —*where you can see so obviously why they're still single, but the source of the problem completely eludes them. They carry their baggage in plain view, for any and all to see.

I'm always grateful because it gives me a clear signal to keep looking.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,176Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    NetG wrote: »
    My favorite story was the guy who said he was a chef, with a snooty air. And it turned out he specifically cut up vegetables at an old folks' home. When he walked in (early) he looks around and I'm the only female in the room, and says "well, typical women are going to be fashionably late." The woman running the thing and I just looked at each other... When he got to my station, he said he likes eating out at nice restaurants, looks me up and down and says "I can tell you do, too." Umm.... wow. He then spent far too much time bragging about how he had a really nice car. Given I had parked next to a different guy who drove up in a Corvette (and didn't mention his car) I was curious what this guy drove. Turned out, it was about a 5 year old Prelude. Now, I wouldn't think LESS of a guy for driving a Prelude. But I did think less of him for bragging about his fancy car...

LOL! A prelude??! One of my friends did the speed dating thing once and the guy told her 'well you definitely like to talk, don't you?'.

There is actually this convention thing in Ohio that my sister is going to and my mom is pressuring me to go where you go to meet guys and they have speed dating. I wanted to go at first but now I'm thinking it's going to be a waste and a bunch of not my type people. Urgh..
    Yeah, good for some anecdotes at least, huh?

It's always interesting to identify those single people — IRL or online —*where you can see so obviously why they're still single, but the source of the problem completely eludes them. They carry their baggage in plain view, for any and all to see.

I'm always grateful because it gives me a clear signal to keep looking.

Yeah, those are the easy ones!

I just thought the guy who did marketing for a bookstore was the COOLEST guy. I thought it was an awesome job. He also wrote books in his free time. For some reason, though, I made him very insecure. It was too bad, because if he'd thought he was as cool as I thought he was, I think we would have gotten along really well!
    -Speckla

deedles wrote: »

ann-wedgeworth-lana.jpg

Never on both of these women. I get Sarah Brightman & Joan Collins alot.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,176Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

ann-wedgeworth-lana.jpg

Actually not sure if you can tell from this picture or not but when I first saw your pic it reminded me a lot of my mom. This is a pic of her about 20 years ago(don't have a recent one on me now).

mompb.jpg
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users

ann-wedgeworth-lana.jpg

Hehe! I thought you looked like my mom's old friend Arlene...who always got that she looked like Joan Collins :) You and Arlene seem to have similar personalities, too.
    I remember once when I was still married & we were at a neighborhood party. The host was introducing people around & when he came to me he said & this is the Joan Collins of the neighborhood. I always wondered if he knew I was bopping his son. I also get the young Priscilla Presley & my boss thinks I look like Nicole Kidman if I had red hair. I guess I look like a lot of women, but there's only one of me.:laughing7:

I have another pic. I will put that in my avator & see if you all have the same reaction. It's actually a more recent pic.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Gstring,

I like the new picture and looks a bit like Linda Ronstadt. I guess you look like a lot of other pretty brunettes ;)

The online thing is kind of tiring and too much work. I go up and down on it. Probably will start talking to men and meeting up for coffee within the next 2 months. If there are any truly notable stories, I will share :)
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
    I got a wink tonite from a 34 yr old hispanic male with tattoos. He is out of state but will be moving here soon. He is 5'4" tall. He started his email with Hi, Precious. There are 2 men that look interesting & they both winked at me, but neither are giving out their #s or trying to set up a meet date. I'm only doing this for a month, so they had better get on the ball.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    I woke up & couldn't go to sleep, so I checked my email. This one guy I had been emailing back & forth with just asked me if when I was young & after the festivities did I then have a booty call for the real festivities. WTH! I emailed back & asked him if he was asking if I had sex with strangers. What a weird question. I'll be interested to hear his answer. I have the feeling I won't be going out with him.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    So, I haven't posted, because I've been having some mixed emotions.

The date went well and we both enjoyed the concert. When I emailed him to say thank you, he said that he was looking forward to our pets' playdate, but didn't actually ask us to join them anywhere which I thought was weird. I don't know what to say.

Now for the mixed emotions...I came home crying. The whole time I was at the concert, I was thinking about my ex-boyfriend. We haven't been together in years, but we hooked up when I was home at the end of June. I can't help it. There's just something between us that I can't explain. I know we're not right for each other, but I'm afraid I'll never have that connection again with somebody else. I seriously thought we were going to get married before things fell apart. Even my mom loved him and was excited that we were spending time together when I was home.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    Ooooooo......cool thread. :D

I have a "date" this Sunday. He's very nice looking(and tall....all the guys I've gone out with have been my height, lol), and we actually have really good conversation. He's new to the area(moved from Houston), and works for a local independent label.

I think we'll have a good time. He's sarcastic like me, which means he knows how to NOT take himself too seriously.

And did I mentioned he's nice looking? LOL!

I'll post details tomorrow after our date. :)

I've sorta lucked in the online dating thing, with the exception of encountering one flaky douche, but even the ones that I didn't feel a connection with are still cool people.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

DC metro area
  • iaraiara Posts: 1,199Registered Users
    I am not doing the online thing so I am not sure if I will be disqualified from playing...

Anyway, I have been dating a lot for fun. There is one guy that I have a strong connection with. We have been dating all summer. We always have fun and there is a lot of chemistry. Both of us know each other are dating other people. Last night I told him how I felt about him. He told me that he was too unstable and would end up hurting me. Then added that I should continue to date more and we should be friends for now. :sad8:

I have enough friends.

I appreciate the honesty, but damn, that sucks. He always made the first move so I thought he was interested. I hate putting myself out there. Now I remember why I usually wait for the guy to share his feelings first.

It stings because not in my whole years of dating have I had such a connection with someone. I will get over it because I know there are other men out there that I will share the connection with. It hurts all the same.

Sometimes I hate dating in NYC. Dating here seems much more complicated than other cities I lived in.
    You cannot invite someone to your house in the Hamptons and when she arrives, not let her stay. Tacky. Very Tacky. ~ East Village hipster.

People in Ward Three disdain three things: cleavage, hunting and dumb people who are richer than they are. ~ David Brooks

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. ~Armaments 2:9-21
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    I woke up & couldn't go to sleep, so I checked my email. This one guy I had been emailing back & forth with just asked me if when I was young & after the festivities did I then have a booty call for the real festivities. WTH! I emailed back & asked him if he was asking if I had sex with strangers. What a weird question. I'll be interested to hear his answer. I have the feeling I won't be going out with him.

He sounds awful :thumbdown:

But what ever happened with *cinderalla guy*? The one you were supposed to meet at noon near B&N? Inquiring minds want to know..........
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file