Relaxer Disaster...cross posted on Transitioning forum

keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
I posted this on the Transitioning forum also because I'm in desperate need of some advice. I am very new to this site (I've been lurking around for the last 2 months) and I've gained a lot of knowledge about caring for natural hair from this particular forum, so, I'm trying my post here as well.

On Oct 1st, I got a re-touch for a relaxer and had a first time experience, my hair started coming out in GLOBS in the bowl!!! I am trying to get as much growth as possible before doing the BC, but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out. I'm worried about the health of the new growth with the damaged relaxed hair attached. Any suggestions on what I should do? Any treatments I can use to prevent further breakage? I've been deep conditioning at least once a week since the mishap and I have done a few aphogee treatments (although they didn't appear to help ANY).

I have posted pictures of my "mishap" on http://public.fotki.com/keepitmovin/. Password is let it shine (with the space).

Thanks in advance for any advice. :oops:
Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado

Comments

• PortaePortae Posts: 337Registered Users
    Are you trying to go natural or just cut off the damaged parts with the intention of eventually relaxing again? I think that you should just cut off your hair down to the newgrowth. It will be short, but I think it will look much better than holding onto the relaxed hair.
    ~Break the Chains of Your Mind and Your Body will Follow~

3b/3c/4a
    http://public.fotki.com/Portae99/
    http://photos.yahoo.com/Portae_99
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Posts: 529Registered Users
    hi,

it looks like you're gonna have to either keep the comb over, or twa your hair. i think its better to go w the twa given the location of the hair loss. plus, you dont want any futher damage. i know its hard to go super short, but its really easy to maintain... and for some reason, its simple to monitor the health of your hair w a twa. check out my album for twa inspiration :)
    good luck!
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • misombramisombra Posts: 15Registered Users
    why are you trying to relax your hair?
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    To Portae99 and jazzijenni81: I plan to keep it natural. That's how I found this site. I just didn't want to have such short hair, but I did it (its SOOOOOOO short, lawd!) It was actually your photos and subbrock's photos that gave the strength to do it. I will keep trying to get the shine I like. People who don't know me automatically compliment me, but it's friends and family (except my fiancee, who does like it) that are giving me the blues.

To misombra : I was relaxing because that's what I've always done. I'm sure you've heard that story.

Thanks ladies. I guess I just needed an extra boost.

Merry Xmas!
    Currently using:

i once saw a guy who recommended that i relax parts of my hair. (the driest parts). now i have multi-textured hair. i went to the classifications page and i have from 1b to 3b on my head. i was dumbfounded, i couldn't believe a hairdresser was trying to get me to relax my hair. just because he couldn't tame it.

people told me that he had a good reputation for doing curly hair too. after i refused to relax my hair he cut it and then he straightened it.

i was so upset that i decided that i'd never fall for the "hairdressers know best" ideology. i also got into an argument with this person because i told him that nobody's ever been able to cut my hair right. (i've had a good hair cut once. and that guy could never cut it right again after that.) anyway he basically yelled at me because he said i was "setting them up for failure". but i think he was just being defensive.

anyway i digress. i was just asking to see if it was recommended to you or if you just do it cause you like the way it looks...

merry christmas.
    I understand misombra, I really was just doing what I'd been doing since I was 11 yrs old. All I can remember about my natural hair is that my mother complained constantly about how thick it was, so she sent me to the salon to have my hair relaxed. I keep the relaxer cycle going until 10//05.

But I've now done the BC, so, I'm learning to like myself with this shorty on top.
    Currently using:

my mom did something similar when i was a kid. she had a hard time brushing it so she took me to a salon and had it cut really short. (people thought i was a boy, yes i was traumatized.) after that my hair started growing out much straighter than it was, it was weird. THEN my mother decided she wanted the curl back so she permed my hair. from then on my hair has been curly. (we have a joke that it was the permanent permanent, kinda goofy.) anyway yeah, relaxing is bad for your hair. especially as you get older and your hair is less and less able to recover from such chemical damage.

btw what is BC?
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Posts: 529Registered Users
    congrats on the big chop! :D and im happy we were able to inspire :P
    cant wait to see pics! if you ever have any questions on taming the twa, im a pm away 8)
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    To Portae99 and jazzijenni81: I plan to keep it natural. That's how I found this site. I just didn't want to have such short hair, but I did it (its SOOOOOOO short, lawd!) It was actually your photos and subbrock's photos that gave the strength to do it. I will keep trying to get the shine I like. People who don't know me automatically compliment me, but it's friends and family (except my fiancee, who does like it) that are giving me the blues.
    To misombra : I was relaxing because that's what I've always done. I'm sure you've heard that story.

Thanks ladies. I guess I just needed an extra boost.

Merry Xmas!

yay! im glad i could inspire you!! *wipes tear away from eye*
    my boyfriend at the time and my family gave me a super hard time about it..i guess because they were always used to seeing me with long straight hair. but i tried not to let it get me down. youre on the road to healthy natural hair so even if theyre not excited, you definetly should be! if you ever need anything feel free to PM me.
  • curlycovrgirlcurlycovrgirl Posts: 153Registered Users
    keepitmovin, I'm glad you went for the big chop!!! It takes alot of courage. Congratulations!! :D

When I did the BC, my family and friends also gave me a hard time (they basically hated it), but i also got compliments from strangers like you did. Isn't that weird?? you would expect your family and friends to be more supportive than strangers!

good luck on the hair journey! I think the BC was one of the best decisions I've made! :D :D
    3c/4a - Relaxer Free since Feburary 2004 and Obsessed with my hair.

I have pictures now! password: curlygirl
    Well, I've posted pics of the BC (Prepare yourself for the big shorty!). Still looking for the perfect combination for great sheen and no frizz.

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. My journey is just beginning, but I'll tell you what, I feel more empowered just by rockin' the big shorty. Yeah, this natural hair thing changes people :D
    Currently using:

• atlantisrisingatlantisrising Posts: 263Registered Users
    Well, I've posted pics of the BC (Prepare yourself for the big shorty!). Still looking for the perfect combination for great sheen and no frizz.

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. My journey is just beginning, but I'll tell you what, I feel more empowered just by rockin' the big shorty. Yeah, this natural hair thing changes people :D

Beautiful! You have great eyes, too. This cut looks really cute on you.
  • curliejcurliej Posts: 55Registered Users
    Congrats on your BC. It looks beautiful!! I did the big chop one month ago after transitioning for about 8 months. Almost every day people ask me, WHY DID YOU CUT ALL YOUR HAIR OFF because I've almost always had bra strap length hair. But I was so glad to be free and I'm enjoying learning how to work with my natural hair.
    Album
    http://public.fotki.com/janelle6/
    pw: pm me for password
  • ColochaColocha Posts: 344Registered Users
    keepitmovin,

I like the texture of the new growth and also the thickness of your hair! Pretty!
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c
    Thanks everybody for all of those kind and encouraging words. I have been feeling a bit naked without hair, but most people seem to like it, so, it's helping me to become more comfortable.

Because of all of the knowledge I've gained from the people on this site about products and how to use them for different types of hair (and no/low poo, yeah!!!) I have only had good hair days so far. And even when a bad hair day comes, I will know that I can do something to correct it.

I've been worried about the frizzes mostly because that's why I didn't last long during my last attempt to go natural (that time I transitioned for 18 months).

Thanks again to all of you. You are very inspiring. :D
    Currently using:

• thirteenlbsthirteenlbs Posts: 205Registered Users
    Looks great...did you chop yourself?

O, S, with fine strands
    Cottony
    Uhmmm...my fiancee did...I know, gotta make sure he does a softer line next time. :)
    Currently using:

• thirteenlbsthirteenlbs Posts: 205Registered Users
    Oh, I didn't mean that it looks bad at all! It looks fantastic!

I am just about 2 seconds from picking up the scissors myself, and am curious of others who've done it that way. I think I'll need some professional help, though...

Anyhoo, congrats again, you're quite an inspiration!

O, S, with fine strands
    Cottony
  • UCurlGirlUCurlGirl Posts: 97Registered Users
    I posted this on the Transitioning forum also because I'm in desperate need of some advice. I am very new to this site (I've been lurking around for the last 2 months) and I've gained a lot of knowledge about caring for natural hair from this particular forum, so, I'm trying my post here as well.

On Oct 1st, I got a re-touch for a relaxer and had a first time experience, my hair started coming out in GLOBS in the bowl!!! I am trying to get as much growth as possible before doing the BC, but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out. I'm worried about the health of the new growth with the damaged relaxed hair attached. Any suggestions on what I should do? Any treatments I can use to prevent further breakage? I've been deep conditioning at least once a week since the mishap and I have done a few aphogee treatments (although they didn't appear to help ANY).

I have posted pictures of my "mishap" on http://public.fotki.com/keepitmovin/. Password is wishful thinking (with the space).

I couldn't log in to your fotki album. "Wishful thinking" as a password was too long. :?
    3C, fine corkscrew. Carlos at Devachan devotee. "I don't poo, do you?" No Pooing for a year and a half. Holy grail products include: Kenra Moisturizing Treatment, Nioxin Scalp Therapy,Devacurl No-Poo Ouidad Botanical Boost alternated with Bumble and Bumble Leave-In, Ouidad Deep Treatment, and Biolage Gellee Gel. I HAVE FOUND ALL MY HOLY GRAIL PRODUCTS FOR CONSISTENT, RELIABLE GOOD HAIR DAYS!!!

"Hon, can you make me a scotch on the rocks? And can you make the rocks be my Vicodin?"--Karen from Will and Grace

"You're tacky and I hate you."--Fancypants to Jack Black in "School of Rock"
  • ColochaColocha Posts: 344Registered Users
    UCurlGirl wrote:

I have posted pictures of my "mishap" on http://public.fotki.com/keepitmovin/. Password is wishful thinking (with the space).

I couldn't log in to your fotki album. "Wishful thinking" as a password was too long. :?

I had the same problem. I used her other password that is on the bottom of her messages: let it shine
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c
    Uhmmm...my fiancee did...I know, gotta make sure he does a softer line next time. :)

I agree that it looks great!!! You're lucky...you can carry a short cut! And your natural hair is beautiful. Can't wait to see how it progresses as you grow it out!
    3C, fine corkscrew. Carlos at Devachan devotee. "I don't poo, do you?" No Pooing for a year and a half. Holy grail products include: Kenra Moisturizing Treatment, Nioxin Scalp Therapy,Devacurl No-Poo Ouidad Botanical Boost alternated with Bumble and Bumble Leave-In, Ouidad Deep Treatment, and Biolage Gellee Gel. I HAVE FOUND ALL MY HOLY GRAIL PRODUCTS FOR CONSISTENT, RELIABLE GOOD HAIR DAYS!!!

"Hon, can you make me a scotch on the rocks? And can you make the rocks be my Vicodin?"--Karen from Will and Grace

Also, what do you think happened to make your hair start breaking under the scalp? Did the salon do something different this time?

I had a trichologist look at my hair and scalp, she suggested that the product itself could have been bad. I also had been severely anemic for a few months (which could have contributed to the weakness of my hair), but my hair had been relaxed 8 weeks prior to this mishap and my hair had not fallen out. And it only came out in the crown and one strip along the back (it was a very strange pattern).

It was just a scary situation all around.
    Currently using:

• leopardleopard Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thank you Keep It Moving and all the others who have posted on this thread!

I also have had a disaster with altering my hair's structure with chemicals. Here's my story:

About six months ago I turned 35 and wanted to do something different with my hair. I'd been natural for about six years (!) but when I moved from the US to UK, the change in climate meant my usual routine didn't work anymore. I'd read how the new line of curly perms would give ringlets like Kelis and were nothing like the Jheri Curls of the 80s, so I had a Wave Nouveau perm put in. Oh how I regret that decision!

My hair loss has been gradual but began the first time I washed it. After 2 weeks I noticed more shedding than normal and spoke to my stylist but she couldn't see any change in my scalp. She said that maybe the shedding was the same but because the texture of the hair was different to appeared to be more than it was. Maybe I just wanted to believe her.

2 months later, I knew something was wrong. The left side of my head was much thinner than the right and I thought I was getting new growth in the thinned areas. Still it wasn't very noticable, none of my friends or family could see what I was talking about. I returned to my stylist but had to be seen by her junior as she was off ill for several weeks. I explained my concern and again was assured that all was fine and encourged to get the perm retouched. Then I did a stupid thing. I agreed.

Fast forward to October 2005, I'm still shedding alot hair in the middle left side of my head. I meet with my regular stylist and she admits (finally) that I've had more shedding than is normal. But she says not to worry and that next retouch she will adjust the chemical process! "Next time?!?!", I thought to myself. Thankfully my common sense returned and I did not go back for a touch up!

I've had a very anxious Xmas as my hair has continued to shed alot when I wash it but not as bad as before! 3 days ago I had twist extensions put in as I could not face the BC but needed to do something before works starts again.

Reading your story really cheered me up! And I think I will get it cut to all one length when its time for my twists to come out.

Here's my question: I've been debating whether or not to see a tricologist as know exactly why my hair is falling out--chemical overprocessing! Keep-on-moving, did you find it worthwhile? What is the difference between hair breaking beneath the scalp and falling out at the root? How can you tell and does it have any practical consequences for how you take care of your regrowth?

Thank you all,
    Leo
    3C/4A
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    leopard wrote:

Fast forward to October 2005, I'm still shedding alot hair in the middle left side of my head. I meet with my regular stylist and she admits (finally) that I've had more shedding than is normal. But she says not to worry and that next retouch she will adjust the chemical process! "Next time?!?!", I thought to myself. Thankfully my common sense returned and I did not go back for a touch up!

good for you!! im glad you guys found this website, hopefully we can help you with whatever you may need. :grouphug:grouphug.gif
    Wow! I've affected somebody ALREADY :P

That hair loss thing is really traumatic, I really do understand. I stressed about it for 2 months before I decided to just do the darn thing.

Re: your question about the trichologist....the trichologist looked at my scalp under some type of microscope and we could see under my scalp (I could see it on a TV, it was kinda cool actually) and we could see that the hair didn't actually come out from the root, but it was broken off just under the scalp. She told wanted me to either 1) Cut it off or 2) wear my hair in cornrows so she could do treatments to promote growth while I wore a wig.

I tried doing the comb-over but that wasn't working out. I stressed so much about whether people could see "the area" that I just eventually decided to cut it off.

I have found this site to be MOST helpful and I am so grateful that the internet exists, woohoo!!! :P
    Currently using:

• Velvetmug22Velvetmug22 Posts: 409Registered Users
    I tried and tried and tried to access your pictures, but it said the password was wrong :( I'm really glad this website could help you. It has helped me so much too.
    Short 4A Hair.
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Posts: 821Registered Users
    Just wanted to add that your BC is adorable! You have very pretty hair. PLease don['t be discouraged about your hair loss. I'm sure it will grow back as thick and healthy as ever! Can't wait to see your updates!
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • Velvetmug22Velvetmug22 Posts: 409Registered Users
    Your hair looks really pretty and soft. Like Curlilocs said, don't be discouraged, you do have really nice hair.
    Short 4A Hair.
  • leopardleopard Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks Keepitmovin for your response. Everyone is right, you look great with the BC!

Did you decide to go with the trichologist's treatment? Are you using any other hair growth treatment?

There's a trichologist here in London that specializes in Afro-Caribbean hair but her treatments are so expensive!

I've been using Phyto ranges Growth Serum for about 3 months but not as often as they recommend. More like once every two weeks rather than twice a week. It feels really good on my scalp, not too oily, and its really improved the texture of my hair. Not much difference in growth, but like I said I've misering the product, trying to make it last longer.

There's a new product called F.A.S.T. which was featured in Black Beauty and Hair magazine and claims to make your hair grow 45% faster! I'm very tempted!

I've also read that some cgs on this board use a product called Surge that has sped up their hair growth.

I'm so suspicious of all the Black hair products out there! I think that they just want our money and Black women worry so much about our hair that we'll try any snake oil that makes the promises we want to hear!

I've lurked on a lot of boards and am a veteran mailing lists but this one is really special!

Thank you for your support!

Leo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file