CurlTalk

Stupid Questions

yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users
Ok, here is your chance to ask stupid questions...
Please don't be mean to the people asking stupid questions and make them feel bad for being stupid.:glasses9:

I'm sure I'll have plenty... but here's my first one:

1. Why are people with the name "Robert" called "Bob"?
Why aren't they "Rob"?... where did they get that extra "B"??

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Because rob means to steal and no one wants their kid to grow up to be a thief.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users
    Please don't be mean to the people asking stupid questions and make them feel bad for being stupid.:glasses9:

Oh, and Richard, why do they get to be "Dick"? lol
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    Why are blond children called towheads?
    Eres o te haces?

Oh, and Richard, why do they get to be "Dick"? lol

It's genetic.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users
    Who decided the barter system should go and we should start using money huh? I'd have rather traded a couple cows for college instead of money! lol
    Did you start this thread just for me?
  • ScrappyTamScrappyTam Posts: 470Registered Users
    What is the scientific name for a booger?
    I almost threw my ovaries at him. - Trenell

• KeeweeKeewee Posts: 1,376Registered Users
    ScrappyTam wrote: »
    What is the scientific name for a booger?

I am guessing MUCUS.... lol

So why do they call guys named William, Bill
    James-Jimmy

I am still thinking of something stupid
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    Are all redheads immune to poison ivy?

(I am, and so is my redhaired friend.)
  • MistressM.MistressM. Banned Posts: 254Banned Users
    What happened to Old Navy's $5 shipping? This is a stupid question because I already know the answer - it's gone up like the prices of everything have gone up - I just want to complain about it a bit.

The world has truly gone to hell in a handbasket when there is no longer that $5 Old Navy shipping rate. You just know that something's gone wrong when you can't even rely on that anymore. We knew it would go up someday, but that little "$5.00 flat rate shipping" icon at the corner of the screen gave us hope that maybe things weren't so bad after all. If you can have anything and everything from Old Navy shipped to your door for a five spot, the economy, our livelihood, surely is not at risk for decimation. I ask you: what is going on with our world??? I need to go cry now... :sad2:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    MistressM. wrote: »
    What happened to Old Navy's $5 shipping? This is a stupid question because I already know the answer - it's gone up like the prices of everything have gone up - I just want to complain about it a bit.

:shock:

i was just sitting on the old navy website hunting the bargain bin, thinking how great it is that i can get stuff from old navy, gap, banana all for $5 shipping.. and i was seriously considering just buying online and forgetting about dealing with going to the mall.. then i read this...

i investigated a little further and see the rate went up $2, so it's a flat rate of $7 and you can stock your cart with stuff from all the stores :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »

I've never heard of that. I'm not willing to test the theory, though :toothy7:
  • MistressM.MistressM. Banned Posts: 254Banned Users
    goldy wrote: »
    MistressM. wrote: »

:shock:

i was just sitting on the old navy website hunting the bargain bin, thinking how great it is that i can get stuff from old navy, gap, banana all for $5 shipping.. and i was seriously considering just buying online and forgetting about dealing with going to the mall.. then i read this...

i investigated a little further and see the rate went up $2, so it's a flat rate of $7 and you can stock your cart with stuff from all the stores :)

I don't like it at all. I never even shop at any of those other stores. $7 doesn't sound like a lot more but it really is because I typically don't buy a lot at one time. $7 would probably be more than I would pay for the same amount someplace else. I'm such a scrooge when it comes to money. $5 was just such a great deal! It sounds so much better than $7. I'm afraid they won't even do that anymore once the economy worsens further. I don't have an Old Navy within an hour of me, heck I don't have A MALL within an hour of me, so I usually buy most clothing online. I know, this should be the least of our worries... :( I'm just a humbug tonight.
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    Why do people just spit their gum on the ground?
    Don't they have any compassion for the poor sucker that steps in it?? I always feel like such an idiot dragging my foot on the pavement cursing the jerk that left their gum on the ground.
    This is more of a general rant- but if anyone has ever done this come forward and tell me why.:boxing:
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users

I used to be immune to poison ivy until recently. I know a few others who are as well, none of them redheads though. Only thing we found in common was we all ate it when were were kids trying to catch it or get sick.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    Do all fair-haired fair-skinned light-eyed people get itchy with drugs like Percocet, Ultram & Fentanyl? :?
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    ok, this is probably going to be a really stupid question, but i've never used public transportation before and i'm going to have to when i move next week, and i...well, i don't know how to ride the bus!

is there some kind of thing at the front where i put change into? if i have a bus pass do i show it to the driver, or is there some machine that scans it?

i'm so confused!
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
    :hockey: \m/ \m/
    3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
    master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    legends wrote: »
    Why are blond children called towheads?

I found this on Ask.yahoo. They got it from the Washington Post.

"In colonial times, families grew their own flax to make into fabric for clothing. Transforming the flax into thread was a complicated, involved process with many time-consuming steps. After the flax was harvested, it was soaked in water for several days to soften it so the inner fibers could be removed from the stalk. To separate the long, thin fibers from the shorter, coarser ones, the flax was pulled through a bed of nails or combed in a process called "towing." The shorter fibers that were extricated were of a lesser quality and were called "tow." This led to the term "towheads" to describe people, particularly children, whose hair resembled these strands."
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users

I have never heard of this. But, I'm a redhead, and I've lived around poison ivy for all 28 years of my life and have never gotten it.
    ;)
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    What is the point of August? It's such a useless month. NOTHING HAPPENS. Okay, so somone was born. We can relocate your birthday to July or Septemeber.

Quick- which month is August? Bet you can't think off the top of your head. November is the eleventh, everyone knows that. April is the fourth. Easy enough. But August? No Point.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • LainieLainie Posts: 33Registered Users
    Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Why is it called 'Minute Rice' when it takes 5?

I would be clueless about riding a bus, also, so don't feel bad!
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    ok, this is probably going to be a really stupid question, but i've never used public transportation before and i'm going to have to when i move next week, and i...well, i don't know how to ride the bus!

is there some kind of thing at the front where i put change into? if i have a bus pass do i show it to the driver, or is there some machine that scans it?

i'm so confused!

With ours there is a big coin dropper thing in the front and it beeps when you have paid enough and it doesn't give change.
    I think you swipe a pass but I have never had one. Just ask. "Do I just show this to you or do I swipe it?"
    Just watch people that get on in front of you.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users
    CurlyEyes wrote: »
    What is the point of August? It's such a useless month. NOTHING HAPPENS. Okay, so somone was born. We can relocate your birthday to July or Septemeber.

Quick- which month is August? Bet you can't think off the top of your head. November is the eleventh, everyone knows that. April is the fourth. Easy enough. But August? No Point.

dude. are you INSANE?
    It's a freakin' SUMMER month.
    don't you dis a summer month, ya hear me?
    I will kick your arse! :cussing:
    You leave my summer months alone!
    I treasure them
    all of them.
    you little hussy!!!!!!! :cussing:
    oh.

I sorry.
    I didn't mean to call you a hussy.
    I'm starting to get a little on edge because summer is going to be over soon.

:sad8:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users

august is the 8th month.. it's the only month i don't have to actually put any thought into..

and it's the absolutely greatest month there is!!! so there.. LEOS ROCK (oh and those end of the month virgos aren't so bad either)..

august is the month used to finish up summertime fun and prepare for the school year to begin.. it's the time to take family vacations and enjoy life.. it's the time to relax and enjoy everything summer has to offer!

and i don't want to be relocated to july.. i chose to come out almost four weeks late, specifically avoiding being a july baby.. and september, no thanks it's just a month thats sits between august (the best month) and october..
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users

dude. are you INSANE?
    It's a freakin' SUMMER month.
    don't you dis a summer month, ya hear me?
    I will kick your arse! :cussing:
    You leave my summer months alone!
    I treasure them
    all of them.
    you little hussy!!!!!!! :cussing:

dude, I totally am. Also, I have a year-round school. Some GENIUS decided that I should only have FIVE WEEKS of summer vacation. They 'make up for it' by giving me three weeks of winter, fall, and spring break. DO YOU THINK THAT MAKES UP FOR IT? IT DOESN'T!!!!!

So, all the months kinda run together for me. Plus, it's always sunny here. I didn't realize that SOME PEOPLE still have SUMMER. You know, the ones that AREN'T IN SCHOOL. DOING ALGEBRA. AND HISTORY. HISTORY! I HATE HISTORY.

Anyway, I'm sorry to offend any August lovers. This August is draaaaaaaging by.

Dude, I totally had to look up hussy. I've never heard it before.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
    Dude, I totally had to look up hussy. I've never heard it before.

:laughing7:
  • AG.AG. Posts: 1,519Registered Users
    I don't think this is a stupid question. Anyway...

Why are chicken legs called "drumsticks"?

They don't look like drumsticks...

Northern Colombia.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    August is pretty useless IF YOU ARE NOT ON VACATION. Having to work in August blows chunks.

February is also a brutish and nasty little month. Dislike it.

Does anyone know if the refrigerator light really goes off when you close the door ;)

Also, why is it that socks ALWAYS get lost when you do laundry???? Is there some kind of sock eating gremlin in the washer/dryer? So confusing :@:
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Why are gelatin and glue made out of animal products?
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)