Please help me decide if I'm a 3c

JEMJEM Posts: 57Registered Users
Hi! this is my first post. I need help deciding my hair type, I think I'm a 3b/3c mix. I would appreciate any thoughts.
thanks! :D
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/coachchica/album?.dir=4291&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/coachchica/my_photos
2a with 3a mixed in. Fine, thin hair; straight at crown for 2 inches, then curl. Clips are my friend or I'd have no volume on top. Currently using DevaCurl line. Also love aloe vera gel and KCCC. CG since Feb 2010. First Deva Cut April 2, 2010.

Comments

• LipGlassHoneyLipGlassHoney Posts: 230Registered Users
    JEM wrote:
    Hi! this is my first post. I need help deciding my hair type, I think I'm a 3b/3c mix. I would appreciate any thoughts.
    thanks! :D
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/coachchica/album?.dir=4291&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/coachchica/my_photos
    Is that your hair with no chemicals (except color) or are you growing something out? I ask that because of the straight pieces. You look like you're a mix between 3b and 3c. You have some spots that are more wavy and some that are strictly 3c.
    Black and Puerto Rican 3c Natural since '95 (15). Growing hair to waist. PJ and Certified MAC JUNKIE and a freakin' DEMOCRAT!!! Visit my other page @ www.myspace.com/LipGlassHoney
    Me @ 6 mos. looking just like my son
  • JEMJEM Posts: 57Registered Users
    No, I'm all natural. I'm thinking the straight pieces are from damage or wearing my hair straight all the time. This is why I've decided to *try* to stop straightening and work on my hair health.
    2a with 3a mixed in. Fine, thin hair; straight at crown for 2 inches, then curl. Clips are my friend or I'd have no volume on top. Currently using DevaCurl line. Also love aloe vera gel and KCCC. CG since Feb 2010. First Deva Cut April 2, 2010.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    It looks to me like 3b/c at the roots growing out a relaxer that makes the ends look straighter.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    It looks to me like 3b/c at the roots growing out a relaxer that makes the ends look straighter.

Thanks for the thoughts. My hair has been relaxer free for over 2 years. :D
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd say a 3b/c mix also.

Gotta question. Before coloring your hair, were your curls tighter? I ask this because your roots(and a few other pieces) look curlier than the colored hair. Sometimes hair color can loosen your natural curl. I looks like the pieces that don't have highlights on them are much curlier than the pieces that do.

Also, what products are you using on your hair?
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    I'd say a 3b/c mix also.

Gotta question. Before coloring your hair, were your curls tighter? I ask this because your roots(and a few other pieces) look curlier than the colored hair. Sometimes hair color can loosen your natural curl. I looks like the pieces that don't have highlights on them are much curlier than the pieces that do.

Honestly I've been coloring my hair for so long I don't remember what my curls looked like before. I have noticed that slowly the top layer has become straighter and straighter.

As far as products go, I use pantene shampoo and conditioner. Sedal leave in conditioner(hispanic brand) and La Bella gel. My products always vary. I am also open to ANY suggestions to products and techniques.
    JEM wrote:
    I'd say a 3b/c mix also.

Honestly I've been coloring my hair for so long I don't remember what my curls looked like before. I have noticed that slowly the top layer has become straighter and straighter.

As far as products go, I use pantene shampoo and conditioner. Sedal leave in conditioner(hispanic brand) and La Bella gel. My products always vary. I am also open to ANY suggestions to products and techniques.

Do you like Pantene? I ask this because over time, it dried the hell out of my hair(and quite a few other curlies). I'm not tyring to make you change products if you're happy with the results, but I HIGHLY recommend getting really good conditioner/leave in such as Elucence. A good conditioner is extremely vital during the colder months.

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    JEM wrote:

Do you like Pantene? I ask this because over time, it dried the hell out of my hair(and quite a few other curlies). I'm not tyring to make you change products if you're happy with the results, but I HIGHLY recommend getting really good conditioner/leave in such as Elucence. A good conditioner is extremely vital during the colder months.

Its ok. Where do you get Elucence? When my hair was shorter it looked really similar to yours. I'm guessing the longer it gets the looser my curl will be.
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not sure what your hair type is, but just wanted to add that you have very pretty hair! :D I love the thickness of it.
    susu wrote:
    Not sure what your hair type is, but just wanted to add that you have very pretty hair! :D I love the thickness of it.

Thanks! you can have some if you want. :lol:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair reminds me of mine...but with more oomph. :) I think the CG routine would work well for you. (You can buy the book at curlmart.)

I'd say you are mostly a 3b with some 3c elements.

Your hair reminds me of mine...but with more oomph. :) I think the CG routine would work well for you. (You can buy the book at curlmart.)

I'd say you are mostly a 3b with some 3c elements.

I have been trying to find out what the heck the "cg routine" is. I though it had something to do with a book I saw on this website. care to summarize? I see a lot of people here mention it.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    JEM-

You look 3b/c, with tighter roots and a mix of big curls and some smaller ones. Nice, thick hair! :)
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i agree with what everyone on here has said thus far! i love the thickness of your hair...hopefully once mine gets to that length it will look something like yours! i agree with the 3b/c mix. and definetly check into elucence...its the greatest thing ive discovered since coming to this site.
    Thank you curltopia and subbrock. Finally people that appreciate my super thick hair!:P
    JEM wrote:
    JEM wrote:

Its ok. Where do you get Elucence? When my hair was shorter it looked really similar to yours. I'm guessing the longer it gets the looser my curl will be.

You can purchase Elucence at this site through Curlmart. It's a staple for me.

DC metro area
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    The CG routine? I think you should really buy or borrow the book (it's available at some libraries) because I probably won't do it justice...but here goes:

the Curly Girl routine was developed by a curly haired hairstylist/salon owner named Lorraine Massey. Basically, people with curly hair should not use shampoo to wash their hair, specifically not shampoo that contains ingedients ending in "sulfate" (e.g., sodium lauryl sulfate, etc.) because they are too harsh for fragile, delicate, dry curly hair (it's those things because it's curly). Instead you should wash your scalp and hair vigorously with plain water most days, and sometimes with conditioner. But you can use only conditioners and products that contain no ingredients that end in "cone" (e.g., dimethicone...also "...xane" and "dimethiconol") because they are not water-soluable and will build up and make your hair gross and unmanageable. (PEG and copolyol modified cones are OK.) You should also never comb or brush your hair or apply direct heat (diffusing is OK if you must use a hair dryer). If you need to fix a frizzy curl, you can wet it and roll it around your finger and pin it for several minutes. The only products you need are conditioner to wash your scalp hair, conditioner to condition your hair (can be the same or different from the one you use to wash) and a clear styling gel that preferably contains PVC or something.

That's basically the gist of it, but it's a lot more detailed.

Many of us use it or use a modified version of it. The "going shampoo-less" forum here is dedicated to this.

As far as product recs go, personally, I think Elucence is just OK. I prefer the DevaCurl line (developed CG Lorraine Massey), using a little honey, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky-Curly Curling Custard[/buylink], ic Fantasia gel and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink]...but these change weekly.

There are tons of great products (CG and not) available on curlmart.

Ty for the cg summary spiderlashes5000! :)

I'm going to purchase the book next week
  • urbancurlurbancurl Posts: 980Registered Users
    Your hair reminds me of mine...but with more oomph. :) ...

I think you are in my family hair tree too!
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • ColochaColocha Posts: 344Registered Users
    Your hair is very nice. I think is a 3 b/c. If you´re starting with the Curly Girl book, avoid the "cones", just like what Spiderlashes said. I´ve used the Sedal line as well and it has cones in it.
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • beauty7beauty7 Posts: 7Registered Users
    My hair is thick just like yours! :D I'm glad I finally found some people I can relate too. Your hair is a bit more wavy than mine in some areas and I am a 3c. I am currently using Pantene for curls...it's ok, but I really want my hair like a long wavy curl and not some much shrinkage. The Pantene is not doing that. The CG routine sounds interesting...the only thing I'm concerned about is not combing your hair. It seems like it would get super tangled like mine always does.
    3C Curls
    Looking for a good routine!
  • ColochaColocha Posts: 344Registered Users
    beauty7 wrote:
    the only thing I'm concerned about is not combing your hair.

If I don´t comb my hair, I would probably get dreadlocks. I don´t think it would matter if you comb your hair and following CG as well.
    "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Proverbs 18:21

Hair type: 3b/c
    beauty7 wrote:
    My hair is thick just like yours! :D I'm glad I finally found some people I can relate too. Your hair is a bit more wavy than mine in some areas and I am a 3c. I am currently using Pantene for curls...it's ok, but I really want my hair like a long wavy curl and not some much shrinkage. The Pantene is not doing that. The CG routine sounds interesting...the only thing I'm concerned about is not combing your hair. It seems like it would get super tangled like mine always does.

yay! someone else w/ thick hair :D

I guess I'm following a modified cg, because I have to comb my hair in the shower. Otherwise it would be a rats nest :shock:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file