Should I use natural or synthetic hair and why?

MeyerGirlMeyerGirl Registered Users Posts: 170
I am going to get my hair braided on Friday. I don't know if I should use natural or synthetic hair.

Last time, I used synthetic and my hair was really dry and took a bit of extra conditioning to come around.

Natural hair, I heard that it slips out and dosen't last too long.

Here is a photo of Kara Saun of Project Runway, I'm getting my hair braided like her's except no zigzag part just a normal side part.

http://www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway/The_Designers/Kara/

Anyone know the brand name of the hair that I should use? which hair has that wavy/curly look?

Thanks again to all for you help in my other braid post.
4a, deep waves and pensprings.
Boots Pink Curl Creme for sale, Please PM me.

Comments

• PsychePsyche Registered Users Posts: 90
    I love Kara Saun! She's so fly and stylish and I wanna be like her when I grow up.

umm I would go with synthetic but moisturize your hair while it's in the braids. Use braid spray ot a natural homeade spritz (with oil in it).

I'm not a fan of using human hair. Although it's easier to deal with and more manageable, the fact that it was growing out of someone else's scalp makes me uneasy. They could've been a witch or a prostitute or whatever else for all I know. Yea, I'm weird.

I'm sorry I can't be much more of a help.
  • OldSoulOldSoul Registered Users Posts: 268
    Human hair is better for a curly or wavy look.
    The poster formerly known as JCrysy
    :::::::::::::::::
    Mostly 4a-} OS spongy

Current faves: Trader Joe's Nourish, Suave Color Care Co, Abba Nourishing, FOTE AVG, Taliah Waajid mist bodifier
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    I love Kara Saun! She's so fly and stylish and I wanna be like her when I grow up.

umm I would go with synthetic but moisturize your hair while it's in the braids. Use braid spray ot a natural homeade spritz (with oil in it).

I'm not a fan of using human hair. Although it's easier to deal with and more manageable, the fact that it was growing out of someone else's scalp makes me uneasy. They could've been a witch or a prostitute or whatever else for all I know. Yea, I'm weird.

I'm sorry I can't be much more of a help.

i dont know why but that just struck me as the funniest thing ive heard all day long! :lol:
  • Curlee QCurlee Q Registered Users Posts: 523
    Synthetic is said to have a better chance of breakage because of the material its made of rubbing against the hair. I get my hair braided alot and have always used human hair. Plus you can try to moisturize your hair with synthetic hair, but for some reason to me it seems like it just sits on top of the braids, human seems to actually absorb any oils I may use to moisturize my hair.
    http://www.youtube.com/Kittykat1374

natural since 6/05
  • Curlee QCurlee Q Registered Users Posts: 523
    double post
    http://www.youtube.com/Kittykat1374

natural since 6/05
  • CMcCMc Registered Users Posts: 38
    I know this is late, but for future reference!

In my opinion human hair is nice for styling as you can use flat iron, spiral tongs etc... But i think it sucks moisture from your own natural hair, and from the products that you use as it is human hair it takes in moisture aswell! And it is a beeyatch to get out and it gerts EVERYWHERE!

Synthetic hair is cheap, easy to use, easier to moisturize. Down points are that it is harder to use heated hair appliances to style, but you can still do braid outs and the like!!!

I personally like them both, but synthetic wins for me!!

This is my first post, and i love this forum, and love everyones hair, regardless of texture, from the 2s all the way to 4s!

Bravo to all the ladies doing their thing! Hopefully i can learn from you and have something to show in a photo album in the future!
    Transitioning!
  • babynaebabynae Registered Users Posts: 9
    Happy Holidays Everybody

I like using synthetic hair too but not the regular kind for 59 cents a bag but kankelon, basically any type of kankelon; it’s soft and easy to style. I have very fine hair and have never had any problem with the whole breakage factor due to rubbing. I actually heard that synthetic hair tends to stay in place better than human. I use a brad moisturizer called "better braids leave-in conditioner" or something of that sort to moisturize and it’s a dream. keeping moisturizer is key but anyway for the style that you are thinking of getting maybe human hair or synthetic kinky really any type would suit as long as you get it in the right texture believe me there are tons. When going for the kinky style my sister usually uses human hair but a sure fire way to get the right look is to ask the stylist or someone who wears the style.
    Nae
    - - - - - - - - -
    Now Naturally Nae
  • MeyerGirlMeyerGirl Registered Users Posts: 170
    Belated thanks to all for their posts.
    -MG
    4a, deep waves and pensprings.
    Boots Pink Curl Creme for sale, Please PM me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file