We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

question for those who attend midnight mass/services

AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
which of these would you rather hear a female sing on Christmas Eve at Church (after Communion in the Catholic Church)? Or write in alternative suggestions if you wish.

TIA!
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    I was torn between "Go Tell It on the Mountain" and "O Holy Night."

I voted for "O Holy Night," but I love them both. We do "Go Tell..." at the end of the Christmas Pageant, so it's actually sung before Mass.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I also like Adestes Fideles and O Come Emmanuel. But you didn't ask about them.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    gekko422 wrote:
    I also like Adestes Fideles and O Come Emmanuel. But you didn't ask about them.

Hey, that's why I asked people to write in suggestions! There are too many beautiful Christmas songs to list them all! Adeste Fideles is actually half of the song Gesu Bambino, which I agre is absolutely gorgeous. And O Come Emmanuel is more for Advent than Christmas I think, because He has come by then, so I didn't include it for that reason.

Do you prefer Adeste Fideles in Latin or as "O come all ye faithful?"
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Hmm, that's a tough one. Since it is presumably a solo? And not one the entire congregation is singing, Latin. It is beautiful in Latin. If you are going to invite the congregation to join you, you might sing the last chorus in English and specifically invite them. I love that.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I voted for O Little Town of Bethleham because I just love that song. Three years ago I sang O Holy Night and Two Years Ago, I sang Little Town. It's got to be my all time favorite. Err, but I don't go to Mass; I'm protestant. I hope I haven't screwed up your poll. :oops:

Merry Christmas!
    ________
    Hyde Park Residence 2 Condo Pattaya
  • An AkashaAn Akasha Posts: 175Registered Users
    I like "Go Tell it On the Mountain" sung by a choir.

For a soloist, "O Holy Night" would be the most moving song, for me.

I'm getting verklempt just thinking about it.

I'm going to Midnight Mass at my family's church in my home town.
    There will be a gospel choir and I know I'll cry if they sing "O Holy Night"! :oops:
    BSL of thick 4a/ 3c coils.
    Member since 1999.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    "Lo! How a Rose e'er Blooming" is beautiful. It's so obscure, I haven't heard it in about 3 years.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
    Hmm, so far this answers my question (no, people are not sick of hearing O Holy Night!)

.png

534Pm5.png

• MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    I don't go to Church, but I think that 'Silent Night' is a really lovely song.
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    O Holy Night but only if the French version is sung as well (brings back memories of going to Mass at Christmas & singing in the Christmas pagent)
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    O Holy Night is one of my favorite songs, and I think that it would be perfect to sing at the end of a Christmas Eve Mass.

:)

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
    loosecurls wrote:
    O Holy Night but only if the French version is sung as well (brings back memories of going to Mass at Christmas & singing in the Christmas pagent)

Minuit, Chretien - I LOVE that version. I was thinking of throwing in a verse of it....

.png

534Pm5.png

• SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    loosecurls wrote:

Minuit, Chretien - I LOVE that version. I was thinking of throwing in a verse of it....

That is a really pretty version.

For those that have never heard it before, you can listen to it at this link...
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.songpeddler.com%2FSchoolsOfTheSacredHeart%255Caudio%255C30_MinuitChretien_SSHeart.ram" class="Popup

I found it online a while ago, but i'm not sure if that's the best one to listen to or not. :)

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • mangomango Posts: 60Registered Users
    I see that O Holy night is a favourite. :roll: I am sick to death of hearing it though - it sounds rather cheezy, it has been so overdone. Like Ave Maria at weddings....

If it had to be sung though, I think it is more suited to a male voice.
    For females (are you a soprano Amneris?) or boy soprano, I like a clear non-vibrato voice at Christmas singing O little town of Bethlehem or Once in Royal Davids city. Sends chills down my spine!
    3b/c
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    mango wrote:
    I see that O Holy night is a favourite. :roll: I am sick to death of hearing it though - it sounds rather cheezy, it has been so overdone. Like Ave Maria at weddings....

For females (are you a soprano Amneris?) or boy soprano, I like a clear non-vibrato voice at Christmas singing O little town of Bethlehem or Once in Royal Davids city. Sends chills down my spine!

there goes my ave maria suggestion.... :wink:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote:
    mango wrote:

there goes my ave maria suggestion.... :wink:
    Me too! :lol:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Did anyone ask? How did it go? What did you sing?

This year at my church they sang some really weak song I'd never heard before after the pageant. It kinda sucked, with the whole choir & congregation there, they really needed the power of "Go Tell It On the Mountain!"
    Minneapolis, MN
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Did anyone ask? How did it go? What did you sing?

This year at my church they sang some really weak song I'd never heard before after the pageant. It kinda sucked, with the whole choir & congregation there, they really needed the power of "Go Tell It On the Mountain!"

I did O Holy Night after communion and Go Tell it on the Mountain at the end of Mass. I haven't sung in my church in a long time and it was great. I did one verse of O Holy Night in French and the rest in English. When I got to the "chains shall He break" part, I was very emotional because the words meant so much to me and the church was so beautiful in the candlelight and everything. I almost cried! Other people did too. Go Tell It was energetic and fun and ushered in Christmas. Thanks for asking!

.png

534Pm5.png

It sounds beautiful! I love it when songs make me cry, although it seems like these days I'll cry over anything.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • DeCurloDeCurlo Posts: 28Registered Users
    O Holy Night. When my husband was in a band, the girl singer was trained in opera. She came over my house to record a Xmas tape. She sang "O Holy Night". It was so powerful. I was sitting in my living room and I though Jesus Christ was going to come through my window right then and there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file