Hey, lit snobs! What are you reading right now?

oingo-sproingooingo-sproingo Posts: 144Registered Users
Well, since I am a teacher, I get 2 weeks off to kick back and do the things I never get to do normally: sleep and read. I got the following three books yesterday:

Middlesex (Eugenides), Everything is Illuminated (Froer), and Native Speaker (Lee).

Just wondering if anyone has read them recently, and what the rest of you are currently reading! I recently finished The Kite Runner, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, and Can You Keep a Secret. (NB: I am fairly ashamed I read the last one and wish Kinsella's books would not be regarded as "literature" -- I just wanted something to pass the time on the plane and figured it would be as good as any trashy glossy mag. I was right)
Formerly agk

*All 2s and 3A (hair has been wonky lately)
*Currently enjoying Elucence MBC, Abba Nourishing, Giovanni Vitapro, Abba Gel-Lotion, Redken Spin Control

Comments

• msjokermsjoker Posts: 1,658Registered Users
    I've heard a lot of great things about The Kite Runner. I can't wait to read it.
    "It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    I'm reading The Catcher In The Rye
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • SmithsGirlSmithsGirl Posts: 100Registered Users
    I just finished The Holocaust Kid by Sonia Pilcer, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through Glass Soup by Jonathan Carrol. I think that one is going to take me awhile.

The Kite Runner was chosen by my city for its "One Book, One City" campaign. I haven't read it yet but have heard good things about it. There is a long wait for it at the library. If anyone reads it, post back with your comments!
    "In the days when you were hopeless and poor, I just liked you more."

formerly jodib70
    3a/3b, baby fine; growth goal: bra strap length.
  • oingo-sproingooingo-sproingo Posts: 144Registered Users
    I really liked The Kite Runner. Jodib, I don't want to spoil it with my critique -- I have good and bad things to say, but let me know if you want to hear any more.
    Formerly agk

*All 2s and 3A (hair has been wonky lately)
    *Currently enjoying Elucence MBC, Abba Nourishing, Giovanni Vitapro, Abba Gel-Lotion, Redken Spin Control
  • papayahedpapayahed Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I almost picked up the Kite Runner at the airport but ending up with Absolom Absolom and I am Charlotte Simmons. I've barely started either.

I'm currently finishing Farewell to Arms (It's a book club pic)

I loved a curious incident of the dog in the nightime.
  • gimlispeoplegimlispeople Posts: 22Registered Users
    Loved Middlesex!!!! One of the best books I have read in a while, in a weird way . . .
  • Alely MarinaAlely Marina Posts: 37Registered Users
    Kite Runner was soo good..

I am having such a nice time reading before semester starts up :( I finished To kill a mockingbird (never had to read it for school!) I loved it, ordered the movie from netflix. Same with Angela's Ashes, read the following memoir, 'Tis.Just finished Flowers for Algernon which was damn depressing. Currently reading The Da Vinci Code. Oh and finished the middle evil ages which was interesting.
    "Impeach Busch. Drink good beer."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I try to read To Kill a Mockingbird once a year. It's wonderful! The movie is very true to the book and Gregory Peck makes a great Atticus Finch!
    Maudie

CO wash-Vo5 Kiwi Lime
    Regular CO-Tresemme Naturals Silicone Free
    Deep CO-Aussie 3 Minute Miracle

Shampoo-Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless once a week
    Cream-Garnier Fructis Sleek $ Shine Leave-In Conditioning
    Gels-LA Looks Sport

Going silver-last hair color 4/10/15
  • razicellirazicelli Posts: 139Registered Users
    OH Kite Runner is one of my most favorite books. It was sooo good.
    I just started Middlesex because I heard so much (yet so little) about it.
    Curious Incident of A Dog in the Nighttime was a good read. Very different. A mystery as told through the eyes of a boy with Autism. I learned something about Autism b/c of this book. I've heard that the author did an excellent job in portraying Autism.

I also have To Kill A Mockingbird in my "to read" stash.
    Would love to read Absolom Absolom. I love Faulkner!
    pw: wavehead
    3a/3b, 2b underneath M/Ciii, coarse crown
    HG: CK
    Currently BRHG, SIF
  • OldSoulOldSoul Posts: 268Registered Users
    Since July, I have read:

The Interruption of Everything, Terry McMillan
    Groove, Geneva Holliday
    What looks like crazy on an ordinary day, Pearl Cleage
    It's Like That, Cheryl Robinson
    Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards

Working on:

Chocolate Covered Forbidden Fruit, Trista Russell

In queue:

Things I never thought I'd Do, Pearl Cleage
    If it ain't one Thing, Cheryl Robinson

Dying to read the Red Tent and the Great pretender.
    The poster formerly known as JCrysy
    :::::::::::::::::
    Mostly 4a-} OS spongy

Current faves: Trader Joe's Nourish, Suave Color Care Co, Abba Nourishing, FOTE AVG, Taliah Waajid mist bodifier
  • snap catsnap cat Posts: 72Registered Users
    I really enjoyed Middlesex but had to persevere with it.

I am reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair at the moment. I'm not too far through it yet but think it is amazing so far.

Before that I read A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Hilarious! Before that The Quiet American by Graham Greene. I think I am alone amongst my friends and the majority of critics in not being overly-impressed with it. Before that was The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. By far one of the best books ever written and I recommend it to everyone.

On my list to read in the future - too many to count!
    3b? Who knows!!
    Very modified-cg.
    Current likes: Too Shea!, WDT, Curls Milkshake, Re:coil, Curls Spiral Cream, CCSS, - not all at the same time :D
    pw: miaow - updated 2006-10-04
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    I'm re-reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck right now. The first time I read it was for summer homework last year...this time, it's just because I like it - Cathy is a fascinating character. I can give plenty more reasons but I'd just be wasting 'net time. :lol:
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
    I'm re-reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck right now. The first time I read it was for summer homework last year...this time, it's just because I like it - Cathy is a fascinating character. I can give plenty more reasons but I'd just be wasting 'net time. :lol:

I heard East of Eden was a bit of a pot-boiler - a great read but one you have to really invest your time and energy in. I definitely want to read it at some point. I recently bought The Winter of our Discontent, that will be my next Steinbeck, probably followed by either Cannery Row or East of Eden. He is quite simply an amazing writer.
    3b? Who knows!!
    Very modified-cg.
    Current likes: Too Shea!, WDT, Curls Milkshake, Re:coil, Curls Spiral Cream, CCSS, - not all at the same time :D
  • StormCloudCurlyStormCloudCurly Posts: 116Registered Users
    I just finished Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera. Has anyone read this? Now I'm starting Elsa Morante's Arturo's Island.
    pw: curlie
    snap cat wrote:

I heard East of Eden was a bit of a pot-boiler - a great read but one you have to really invest your time and energy in. I definitely want to read it at some point. I recently bought The Winter of our Discontent, that will be my next Steinbeck, probably followed by either Cannery Row or East of Eden. He is quite simply an amazing writer.

He really is. My AP Lit. teacher said today that Wuthering Heights (not by Steinbeck, of course) is a book people who liked East of Eden would also enjoy...guess what my independent reading book is gonna be? :lol:
    OMG, LOOK!!

• gigilaprofgigilaprof Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I read The Eyre Affair last year with my book club and just LOVED it. If you're a book snob, it's a must read. Lots of literary references, many of which I'm sure I missed, and I have an MA in literature! I had to read the entire series afterwards. Great author, interesting premise, VERY different from anything I've ever read. A bit of a sci-fi twist to boot. He supposedly ended the series, but I recently heard he's writing another one. Yeah!
    Confession: I love Sophie Kinsella's books for a light read, and I often intersperse them in my reading choices to take a "break" from the serious stuff!

Was on a bit of a DaVinci kick, so I recently read Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. VERY different take the on the Grail Legend, and women are the heroines of the story. Loved it! Now I'm reading The Templar Legacy - liking it so far. Couldn't get into The Secret Supper - dull, dull, dull.

Next on my list are The Memory Keeper's Daughter and Life of Pi (heard it's great on audio.)
    3B, thick/corkscrew. CG since 9-3-06.
    Ah, well I love Wuthering Heights so I should like East of Eden too then :D

I've read The Eyre Affair too. I haven't read any of the others yet, but I want to. I feel like I should have read all the books he references first otherwise I will miss out.
    3b? Who knows!!
    Very modified-cg.
    snap cat wrote:
    Ah, well I love Wuthering Heights so I should like East of Eden too then :D

I've read The Eyre Affair too. I haven't read any of the others yet, but I want to. I feel like I should have read all the books he references first otherwise I will miss out.

I just bought Wuthering Heights today! The bookstore had classics on sale...I got Wuthering Heights and Sense and Sensibility for under $6! I do love a good sale... :wink:
    Ooh, why do I have to be so busy? I wanna read them now!
    OMG, LOOK!!

• gigilaprofgigilaprof Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ooh, I remember loving Wuthering Heights in high school. I may have to pick that one up again!
    3B, thick/corkscrew. CG since 9-3-06.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Everything is Illuminated is amazing. Very funny and also heart wrenching.
    Time to update my post for a superquick review on Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights!

Once you get past awkward Mr. Lockwood to the real narrator, Nelly Dean, it really draws you in. One line from poor tortured monstrous Heathcliff won't stop ringing in my mind...It is sooo good...but the ending is sooooooo sad!
    In conclusion: Wuthering Heights has characters torn apart by undying addictive love, the drama of class clashes on all levels, a cast of thousands of tortured souls - all sorts of human and inhuman issues are dredged up in juicy detail, and trust me, you will cry, and you will get caught up in the story.
    Warning: Do not read for a pick-me-up. :lol:

Next I'm reading Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility!
    OMG, LOOK!!

I've just started reading The Power of Sympathy by William Hill Brown for my lit course. Written in the late 18th century it is told entirely through letters, primarily, I think, because the medium we know as the 'novel' back in the day was thought of as something merely to entertain silly little upper-class women who had nothing to do all day - certainly not the repose of high culture. This was a way around that.

I'm not far into it yet - I need to plough through it today - so I'm not sure what I think yet.
    3b? Who knows!!
    Very modified-cg.
  • jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Posts: 708Registered Users
    Seen as I'm an English Lit. major i spend 90% of my day reading. I'm doing Modern American Lit. at the mo and just finished 'Woman Warrior' by Maxine Hong Kingston, and 'The Invention of Solitude' by Paul Auster. Both of which I loved!

my light night-time reading (not course prescribed) is currently 'Reading Lolita in Tehran' by Azar Nafisi, which is ok but a little slow moving.

And I wont even get you started on my Renaissance Lit. course...Marlowe anyone?!

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
    condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
    style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file