Help! My new roommate's cat has fleas and I'm getting bit.

CrosshairsCrosshairs Posts: 127Registered Users
She flea bathes the cat and the cat doesn't really seem to scratch all that much, but I wake up and have two or three bites on my legs. They're large and red (about the tip of a pencil eraser). It's nearly impossible to keep the cat out of my room as she has free reign over the whole house. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can you close the door to your room, so the cat can't go in?

Also, your roommate needs to treat the cat. Flea shampoo isn't going to cut it, she needs to put her cat on flea preventative, like Advantage, Frontline, etc. In the meantime, frequent vacuuming and washing your bedding in hot water should keep the infestation down.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The kitty needs to be on Frontline! My current dog and all my previous ones for the past 10+ years have been on it, are outside a lot, and I never find a single flea on Gracie or in the house. You're probably gonna have to spray the carpet/floor to get rid of the ones already in the house. They multiply terribly and can quickly get out of hand.

You might first try setting a shallow pan with water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid in the middle of the the floor with a light (such as clamp-on work light) directed on it in a dark room. The fleas are attracted to the light, jump into the water and can't get out because the soap weighs them down too much. If you do it promptly before they get out of control, you might get a handle on it quickly and not have to spray. Of course, this only works on one room at a time.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    (SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE POST - tried to delete one, but can't see a way to do it!)

The kitty needs to be on Frontline! My current dog and all my previous ones for the past 10+ years have been on it, are outside a lot, and I never find a single flea on Gracie or in the house. You're probably gonna have to spray the carpet/floor to get rid of the ones already in the house. They multiply terribly and can quickly get out of hand.

You might first try setting a shallow pan with water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid in the middle of the room with a light (such as clamp-on work light) directed on it in a dark room. The fleas are attracted to the light, jump into the water and can't get out because the soap weighs them down too much. If you do it promptly before they get out of control, you might get a handle on it quickly and not have to spray. Of course, this only works on one room.

I've clamped a work light to the leg of a chair and set that next to the pan. This was many, many years ago. I've also seen a ready made set up at PetSmart or PetCo that does the same thing - you just have to add the water and soap.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used a heavy-duty flea murdering spray from the vet the one time one of my dogs had fleas. And I washed everything I could in the hottest water possible. Twice.

I hate parasites.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You have to treat the whole house if they're in your room. Vacuum soft surfaces every day, wash all linens in hot water and dry on high eat. Treat the animal with Frontline, et al. Flea baths didn't work for our cats and dog, but using peppermint or lavender Dr. Bonner's castile soap helped. They hate peppermint and lavender and when they're wet it's easier to see the fleas.
    If all else fails use a whole room fogger or an exterminator.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Most likely the cat has more human fleas then cat or dog fleas. She needs to get Program and Capstar (both are oral, like pills. Program sterilizes the eggs, and Capstar kills adult fleas), as well as submerge the cat into water (except for it's head), to get the other two stages off of it. The enviroment needs to be treated too. She either needs to buy stuff at the store to spray the floors (which is cheaper then the other option), or get a pro to do it. Wash everything that can be washed in hot water. That should do it. If the flea problem goes on long enough and it's serious enough the cat could devolop Feline Miliary Dermatitis, and/or get anemia.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Get some Frontline. Flea baths are so 1956.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh, and eat tons of garlic. They don't like garlic, either. Then again, no one likes the smell of garlic on another person!
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, and eat tons of garlic. They don't like garlic, either. Then again, no one likes the smell of garlic on another person!

I forgot all about garlic! That's a trick we used to use on our cats when I was a kid before the flea drops were available.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file