Exfoliator warning

MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
I've recently found out that my exfoliator has been causing paper cut like cuts in my skin near my nose. I always thought it was dryness and peeling skin, but it's not. These cuts take a while to heal and make applying foundation very difficult. I also think they are the reason my skin broke out so much.

Just thought I would let you all know.

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    which one did you use, mip?
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • MipMip Posts: 233Registered Users
    The Body Shop's peach one, It smells lovely, but that's it. If you've been having skin problems such as flaky skin, dryness, redness, break outs...try stopping the exfoliator for a while.

I'm now using Clearasil cleanser for sensitive skin. It is an exfoliator too, but it's far far more gentle.
    does it have crushed peach pits in it?

because if so... i've said this before

DO NOT USE APRICOT SCRUB or any "scrub" that uses crushed shells!

these tear your skin and if you have acne or are prone to breakouts - it only makes the problem worse!
    My blog:

:oops: I'm not sure. :oops: I thought you meant that only the St Ives ones were bad. :oops: I read the reviews on MUA, and the general consensus was that it was good. :oops:

I've learnt my lesson, and now I telling my story on here to act as a warning of the dangers of not following Rou's advice carefully. :oops:
    :D
    My blog:

I checked the packaging - it has peach stone in it. :oops:

Rou - we should be a double act.

You can be the good example, and I'll be the horrible warning. :wink:
  • MissJMissJ Posts: 196Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote:

DO NOT USE APRICOT SCRUB or any "scrub" that uses crushed shells!

these tear your skin and if you have acne or are prone to breakouts - it only makes the problem worse!

call me crazy, but i use the apricot scrub and it seems to really help :oops:
    3c
    seriously, it might SEEM to work.... but those crushed shell scrub products are the worst thing going for your skin!

from my September 2004 column -

"When it comes to scrub products and exfoliating in general, there is little doubt that it does improve the texture of your skin and allow better penetration of product. Controversy can erupt over the method. When apricot scrubs first came out, they were viewed as a miracle product -- especially for blemished skin. But dermatologists quickly pointed out a serious problem with these products; crushed apricot shells tear your skin, leaving it MORE prone to infection and irritation. While some companies have “mild” versions of these cleansers, blemished skin is best exfoliated using a rough face cloth or a product like the Pond's one cited above, which uses plastic micro-beads to gently slough off the outer layer of skin."

the product i'm talking about is Pond's Clear Solutions Deep Pore Scrub.
    My blog:

Listen to Rou - she's right! It's only now that I realise how that exfoliator messed up my skin for so long.
  • MissJMissJ Posts: 196Registered Users
    I'll try the Ponds product. Thank you!
    3c
  • steph_einasteph_eina Posts: 47Registered Users
    You could try using a natural glycolic acid once a week to every night. I use Naturopathica 10% Skin Renewal Gel nightly - it's great for your skin if you don't want to scrub it - you don't get all plugged up with dry skin flakes and such (plus it's extracted from sugarcane and it's not harsh on your skin).

If you're tempted to use the grainy scrubs, listen to rou. :D
    The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
    -- Somerset Maugham
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    what about the aspirin mask? ROU??? It's both a chemical and physical exfoliant. :?
    ________
    house wives Cams
    i have no idea.

i'm violently allergic to aspirin and would NEVER touch the stuff!
    My blog:

• SumtingSweetSumtingSweet Posts: 25Registered Users
    Hey girls. I use baking soda as an exfoliant instead of commercial scrubs. I went through that stint with St. Ives and it made my face look worse. Baking soda's natural (and cheap :D ) and it makes my face feel so smooth. Try it!
    ~~~~~~~~~Proudly Curly & Kinky Since 9/6/05~~~~~~~~~

Album coming soon....
  • cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
    Hey girls. I use baking soda as an exfoliant instead of commercial scrubs. I went through that stint with St. Ives and it made my face look worse. Baking soda's natural (and cheap :D ) and it makes my face feel so smooth. Try it!

Do you just mix it with water?
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • disneylovedisneylove Posts: 112Registered Users
    I think that products with microbeads should work OK.
    We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language ….and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. —Theodore Roosevelt
  • sandradeesandradee Posts: 55Registered Users
    DDF has buffing beads too. Those work nicely for the skin. I try to find products that specifically say "for sensitive skin." It seems like if you don't have that line on the packaging, it usually is irritating to your skin.
  • NativeAmericanCurlyNativeAmericanCurly Posts: 8Registered Users
    The Body Shop has small loofah pads that I use to exfoliate. I just use my normal cleanser(Cetaphil), squirt it on the pad, and swirl it around on my face. Just be careful to use the softer side and not the pointier side of the loofah...ouch, learned that the hard way. This seems to be working better than anything else I've tried. I'm tempted to try the Ponds towelette thingys. Wonder if Cetaphil has some?
    Mostly 3a with some 2a/b underneath; baby fine; shoulder-length
  • SumtingSweetSumtingSweet Posts: 25Registered Users
    cjc wrote:

Do you just mix it with water?

I'm so sorry....I didn't check up on this again. Yes I mix with water to make a paste. i'm sorry again!

-Sweet :couple:couple.gif
    ~~~~~~~~~Proudly Curly & Kinky Since 9/6/05~~~~~~~~~

Album coming soon....
  • AnitiaAnitia Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks for the tip! My sister uses the St Ives Apricot Scrub and keeps getting breakouts on her skin (she has combination skin) - I am going to ask her to chuck it!

Is the St Ives Apricot Scrub okay to use on dry skin? I've been using it for 5 years now, but haven't had any issues with my skin.
  • disneylovedisneylove Posts: 112Registered Users
    St. Ives makes more than one scrub.
    We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language ….and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. —Theodore Roosevelt
  • AnitiaAnitia Posts: 6Registered Users
    I use the original scrub; not sure if it's packaged differently in North America.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file