Fringe Salon - Salem MA

xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
I think I am going to make an appt for this salon. Anyone been recently? Gets good reviews here and on citysearch.com
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• MaxMax Registered Users Posts: 125
    Hi xcptnl,
    Did you go to this salon? also, did you ever go to the woman from the Amherst area who moved to Newbury St?
    I'm still looking, too.
    Max
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    I did go to the stylist in Boston that I had gone to in Amherst and while I think she is great I think the new salon has had a negative effect on her cutting the Deva way - I think they want more clients going through and not taking a so long - it felt different at this salon then it did in Amherst.

I went to Fringe this past Saturday and absolutely love the cut. I am on vacation and just taking a moment to respond but when I am back next week I will give you more details!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • anonymous_6190anonymous_6190 Registered Users Posts: 136
    wondering if you can give more detail about your experience at Fringe. did John cut your hair? were you able to leave the salon without feeling like you had to go home and rewash/restyle your hair?
    Mix of Botticelli-Ringlets-Spirals

Products:
    alternate between:
    Deva NoPoo/Deva OneCondition
    and Herbal Essence Drama Clean Shampoo/Hello Hydration Conditioner
    always use:
    KMS Hair Stay Gel
    Henna 'n' Placenta Conditioning Treatment
    Routine:
    wash hair every 3rd night
    apply products by scrunching and raking
    diffuse until 100% dry

i hate 1st day hair!
    my hair likes humidity and protein.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    curlymag wrote: »
    wondering if you can give more detail about your experience at Fringe. did John cut your hair? were you able to leave the salon without feeling like you had to go home and rewash/restyle your hair?
    I LOVE this salon, John and Adrianna have done my hair. Their version of the Deva cut works much better for me than Cala Renee in Beverly. I tried Cala and Erin and neither of them could do my hair right. I couldn't get 2nd day hair from Fringe but I blame the products not the cut. They use the whole deva line and I'm allergic to the gel and set it free so I had to wash the next day. Next time I go I'm bringing my own products so I can enjoy the style longer! I can never recreate it entirely on my own, it's still different when it's done in the Salon.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I LOVE this salon, John and Adrianna have done my hair. Their version of the Deva cut works much better for me than Cala Renee in Beverly. I tried Cala and Erin and neither of them could do my hair right. I couldn't get 2nd day hair from Fringe but I blame the products not the cut. They use the whole deva line and I'm allergic to the gel and set it free so I had to wash the next day. Next time I go I'm bringing my own products so I can enjoy the style longer! I can never recreate it entirely on my own, it's still different when it's done in the Salon.

THANK YOU... would you rather John or Adrianna? i hope to get an appointment tomorrow or next saturday. i alternate between Deva and Nexxus PhytoOrganics. i also agree that no matter what you do at home, the results are never as good as the salon.

Products:
    alternate between:
    always use:
    KMS Hair Stay Gel
    Routine:
    diffuse until 100% dry

i hate 1st day hair!
    curlymag wrote: »
    DEL2C wrote: »

THANK YOU... would you rather John or Adrianna? i hope to get an appointment tomorrow or next saturday. i alternate between Deva and Nexxus PhytoOrganics. i also agree that no matter what you do at home, the results are never as good as the salon.
    John is more experienced(hence more expensive) 20+yrs and he's been dry cutting for 10+yrs. But, Adrianna works directly under him and I really was impressed with her. When you see him he cuts it but she styles it. They are both excellent you'll do well with either one. OH! and I forgot they give you a little punch card for referrals and you get a free haircut after so many punches. I think they punch it after you get your own hair cut too they call it "Fringe Benefits" i forgot to stamp mine the last time I was there. You won't be dissapointed honestly I won't go anywhere else anymore.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    I have a couple of minutes to give you my thoughts now - whew - it's hard to come back from vacation.

I had John cut my hair and while it's similar to a deva cut - there is also his own style as well. Like he had me flip upside down and he did some trimming that way too. My hair seemed to really respond to this cut. I was on Cape Cod all last week and even with the wind etc it held up really well. They styled my hair a bit 'bigger' than I do - more wild looking rather than my normal spiral curl/waves. I liked it but not really my style but I didn't feel the need to come home and wash it.

He asked me about my no bangs and asked if I would mind having more layers on the side - longer type bangs - I said sure - I am so glad I did. For some reason that part of my hair has never curled right - it has always been straighter that's why I grew it out - but now - it's curling.

Liz actually styled my hair and she took the time to explain the process (even though I knew most of it :)) but would be great for someone just trying to get the hang of having their hair curly. She explained clipping etc.

I will definitely go back and because I was happy with this cut I will book John again just because I would hate to not be happy with someone else at the salon.
    Central Massachusetts

YAY!!! Good for you xcptnl!!! I hope you got your "Fringe Benefits" card so you can work toward the free cut. I really love the way they cut the combo of his dry cutting and the Deva is perfect!
    Discovered CG 2007

I wanted to post an update. I just want to say that my hair is growing out so nicely. My sides which John cut are still curling even though they are much longer and those were always my problem areas (in the past they were much straighter than the rest of my hair). I would love to go back for a cut but am actually also liking it growing out so I am torn. I am sure I will be making an appt at some point in the new year.

This was just to let people know the cut is holding up as it grows.
    Central Massachusetts

thanks, xcptnl. good to hear that.

it's been exactly 2 months since i saw John. my hair grows fast and i am debating whether i want to go back now or wait another 4 weeks. i had a few areas that need to grow out a bit more, especially my bangs, which are curling nicely but are an in that in-between stage of not too short but not long enough. but i'd love for the back to be a bit shorter to get the stacked bob look.

i am also giving a lot of thought to coloring... it would be the first time i've ever colored my hair and John had suggested a trendy cherry coke red, which happens to be the color Adrianna is currently wearing. i'd love to try something new, and i can always recolor if it's not what i expected. but does coloring effect curl patterns? that's my biggest worry.

Products:
    alternate between:
    always use:
    KMS Hair Stay Gel
    Routine:
    diffuse until 100% dry

i hate 1st day hair!
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I wanted to post an update. I just want to say that my hair is growing out so nicely. My sides which John cut are still curling even though they are much longer and those were always my problem areas (in the past they were much straighter than the rest of my hair). I would love to go back for a cut but am actually also liking it growing out so I am torn. I am sure I will be making an appt at some point in the new year.

This was just to let people know the cut is holding up as it grows.
    That's one thing I LOVE about John and Adrianna's cuts. I've never had my hair grow without it DRIVING ME NUTS and when they do it I'm still debating whether I needed it cut or not. It just needs a light trim they are the BEST!!!!

Curlymag-there's lots of curlies that color and there's a whole forum to help you :)
    Discovered CG 2007

You could see in my old pics the two different levels (I dont know what else to call them) from the front/side of my hair to my back. It was horrible looking. Now, everything blends.

curlymag when I have colored my hair in the past (both at a salon and at home) I never noticed any difference in my curl but I will admit it was prior to me really being involved :) with my hair.
    Central Massachusetts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file