We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Color gurus, I need your advice!

PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
Hey ladies..

I'd like to lighten my hair a couple shades so my grays aren't that obvious.

I have medium very reddish brown hair that I darken with a temporary hair color, it used to fade a lot but since I started CG the color lasts and lasts. The grays really stand out and it's getting on my nerves (I'm in my mid 20s).

I'm considering Clairol Perfect 10 in Light Ash Brown and have thought of L'oreal Color Expert Light Ash Brown as well.

What do you think? Thanks!
3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I see that you have been using Loreal ColorSpa to color your hair. What shade?

Even though it's a semipermanent (28 shampoos), it's not really temporary, at least in my experience. It goes gradually wash out some so your roots are not so obvious, but your hair never really goes back to its original shade, especially if you have used the ColorSpa to darken your hair.

Hair color will not lift hair color. It's a concept that took me forever to grasp and I still struggle with it. The lift you get from haircolor only affects uncolored hair. So, if you've been dying your hair, let's say, med. reddish brown with the Colorspa, it's not likely that a light brown permanent shade is going to give you the color lift you want.

All hair is different, though, and you might try a strand test with the light brown and see if you are satisfied with the color. If not, you may have to remove your previous colorspa color with a color remover, such as ColorFix (found at Sally Beauty and other stores), and then recolor with the light brown.

The Loreal Color Expert includes highlights. I have found that highlights dry out my hair. If you want to minimize damage, I'd stay with a dye that does not include highlighting, like the Perfect 10 you mentioned.

I always throw in my disclaimer: I'm not a colorist; just an average jane doe too cheap to pay someone to color my hair, so I've experimented alot!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • PetalPetal Posts: 219Registered Users
    Thanks Brio!

When I started using the hair dye it used to fade a lot (my natural hair color is medium brown, but it gets lighter, and redder, as it grows, so I have surfer hair pretty much if left uncolored), I color it so it's just dark brown and shiny and people stop accusing me of doing stuff to my hair and lying about it (after hearing it 100 times it gets annoying).

I've used colorspa in medium and dark brown, last time (since my hubby loves redheads) I used the red shade they have, and it made a difference, surprisingly it faded after a couple of weeks.

I was hoping I wasn't going to need to use Colorfix.

Thanks again for the advice! I'm just gonna do the strand test as you recommended and if it doesn't work then I'll have to use colorfix. Wish me luck!
    3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file