3) I hate to cook
4) I have been eating way to much fat
5) I don't eat enough veggies
6) I have been low carb in the past
7) I have been low fat in the past
8) I HATE salads...
9) I LOVE sandwiches
10) I LOVE carbs
11) I cannot resist potatoes... of any kind.
12) I will not eat raw onions, cucumbers, green/red/yellow peppers or garlic, beef or pork.

I need to overhaul my diet (not I need to diet)... Lately, we've been eating a bunch of crap at my house. I don't want to necessarily try to lost weight, I just want to improve my diet... the weight will go away when I do that. I only have about 5 lbs to lose...you know the hardest 5 lbs.

I need new ideas and new recipes. I need ideas on how to meal plan. I need new veggies to try... can anyone help me out...

Any ideas?
Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Start with one meal at a time. Oatmeal, fruit, and yogurt make a really good breakfast. Do you like any kind of salads? Add the veggies you do like raw to a salad and use a good salad dressing. Measure the dressing to make sure you aren't using too much.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    If you ate more whole grains, maybe you wouldn't crave potatoes so much? I mean, regular potatoes don't really have a flavor, so maybe you favor them so much because they're so starchy.

Would you want to have veggie sandwiches?

Just two ideas to toss out there :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Complex carbs are not bad. Whole wheat bread and oatmeal has the fiber that you need. Sandwiches are not bad if you put the right things on them. Add lettuce and tomato to sandwiches. Mustard tastes great and has 0 cals. Even a little bit of mayo goes a long way when you spread it thin.

Potatoes are full of vitamins and minerals. Leave the skin on because that's where most of the good stuff is. You can mashed them and add some olive oil instead of butter, garlic, and salt/pepper. Yummy!! Bake 'em, slice 'em and pan fry (coat the pain with a little bit of olive oil or whatever oil you like) and cook them on one side until they're brown and flip them over. They are cruncy and tasty but not soaked with oil. I like to dip them in salsa.

Start adding an extra serving of fruit and veggies a day. Changes little by little add up to a big change over time. You won't feel overwhelmed or deprived if you ease into it and you'll be more likely to stick with what your body gets used to.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    I have similar issues in my house. If you're struggline with where to start, Tosca Reno just came out with her newest Eat Clean book - Eat Clean for Family and Kids. I found it very helpful. There are some pretty cool recipes in it that my family has enjoyed.

As Speckla, says it's pretty much one meal at a time and don't give up trying. I just recently read an article that it takes trying something 20 times to know whether you really don't like it. That happened to me with black olives. So even though your kids may not like it the first time, if you continue to serve it and they have a bite they may actually end up liking it.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Registered Users Posts: 2,017 Curl Neophyte
    Here's a few quick tips for substitutions:

1) Whole grains breads & pastas in place of white flour. My husband and I thought this was a gimmick, but it really worked for us.

Try the following quick & healthy pizza: Whole wheat crust made by Boboli (pre-made); chopped up plum tomatoes mixed with a tiny bit of olive oil, basil (fresh or dried), and maybe a bit of balsamic vinegar and/or whatever spices you like; mozzarella cheese on top. Yum! If your kids don't like it because it's different from the pizza they're used to, just make it as a side dish to some other meal (like soup, or whatever). It's a good appetizer, too.

2) Substitute olive oil for butter/margerine. Bread dipped in it tastes great -- and supposedly the monounsaturated fats and omega 3's that are in there do some really good things for you. For a yummy snack, brush olive oil on whole grain pitas, sprinkle with salt, pepper, basil and parmesan, cut in slices and heat under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.

3) I agree with the yogurt idea. Yogurt mixed with a crunchy cereal is a great breakfast, lunch or snack. I like to mix it with "GoLean Crunch." One of the cereal flavors has flax in it, which has those Omega 3's again -- good choice for me because I have trouble eating fish (a prime source of Omega 3's).

4) I have a lot of trouble with the fruits and veggies thing, too. (I hate buying, storing, chopping and/or cooking them). But sneaking bananas or berries into the yogurt works well for me. I second the idea of lettuce & tomato in the sandwiches. Also, Whole grain waffles taste good with peanut butter and banana on them, or with berries & low fat whipped "cream" for a dessert.

As for veggies -- If you just lightly saute things like fresh string beans, snow peas, or thin-sliced zucchini, in olive oil, they stay nice & crunchy and have a mild flavor your kids might like. (This is easier to do during seasons when fresh veggies are available). I've also heard that sneaking carrot slices, and/or V-8 juice, into spaghetti sauce is a good idea.

Good luck!

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • lacunaCoilslacunaCoils Registered Users Posts: 489
    There's a few healthy things that my husband will eat.'

Pita pizza- buy whole wheat pitas, spread with pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, and lowfat mozzarella cheese (or whatever toppings you like), bake for 10 minutes. Just as good as regular pizza, IMO, and easy to make.

Turkey burgers- mix lean ground turkey with beef seasoning (to get the beefy flavor). Use whole wheat buns, romaine lettuce, pickles (or whatever you want)

You can make other things with lean ground turkey too- chili, spaghetti, etc

Freeze fresh fruit and use in smoothies. Yum!
    2b/2c Henndigo curls
    Currently using: Deva low-poo and OC, KCKT/KCCC, JCCC, & BRHG. + Curlease towel :)
    Also have had success with: CK, FSG, KBB, AOHR, Nature's Gate Conditioner.

pw: curlygirl

peacelove.jpg
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    I've read through these ideas. Thanks Guys. I have been trying to limit my carb(read: no potatoes/fries) intake this week by redirecting a little. Meaning, instead of having a handful of crackers, I'll substitute some fresh fruit. SOMETIMES it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's not that I don't know what to do...its that I want to do something different. I'm going to check out the Eat Clean book...right up my alley.

I do eat veggies several different ones. But, I have gotten into a rut and now it's like the ones I eat I've had to many times I'm like... bleah.

I sat down with my kids yesterday and made a menu. Now, all of the things on the menu may not be super healthy, but they are things that we make fresh... like pizza. I make home-made crust that's got whole wheat in it (it's a mix, but they'll eat it). My kids really enjoy putting their own toppings on. They like meatball subs, but I make homemade meatballs out of ground turkey, I use oatmeal for the filling instead of bread. Last night we had *make your own burrito* night, I had mexican rice (made w/ real brown rice), black beans, cheese, olives...etc...

Speckla...oatmeal and I have a problem...it's called butter and brown sugar. It's a comfort food from when I was little... I do at least make the REAL oatmeal not instant. :) I have been eating some cold cereal for breakfast that's high fiber.

I feel like I'm slowly getting us back on track... it's a slow process when the entire family is involved. I am involving my DD (she's 8) and watched the Food Network... so we're spending quality time in the kitchen. (Yes, we made homemade cinnamon buns last night, but she wanted to order cinna-sticks from pizza hut... it was a good compromise... at least I know there's no HFCS in them.)

Keep the ideas coming...
    CK is the one!!

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Speckla wrote: »
    Start with one meal at a time. Oatmeal, fruit, and yogurt make a really good breakfast. Do you like any kind of salads? Add the veggies you do like raw to a salad and use a good salad dressing. Measure the dressing to make sure you aren't using too much.

I do eat salads, don't get me wrong...but I also know the hazards of salads... the cheese, dressing...etc. So, I tend not to eat salads because, well, a salad without enough dressing is just bleah. I do eat them and always get the dressing on the side, and dip my fork in it...you know the drill. But, I can only eat them about once a week, then it's overkill for me.

My DH loves salads but his salad is a little bit of lettuce covered with cheese and then about a cup of thousand island or bleu cheese... he doesn't understand... "I eat salads every day and I don't know why I don't lose..." I tried to explain it...he just *won't* get it.
    CK is the one!!

There's a few healthy things that my husband will eat.'

Pita pizza- buy whole wheat pitas, spread with pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, and lowfat mozzarella cheese (or whatever toppings you like), bake for 10 minutes. Just as good as regular pizza, IMO, and easy to make.

Turkey burgers- mix lean ground turkey with beef seasoning (to get the beefy flavor). Use whole wheat buns, romaine lettuce, pickles (or whatever you want)

You can make other things with lean ground turkey too- chili, spaghetti, etc

Freeze fresh fruit and use in smoothies. Yum!

I've been using ground turkey and chicken for years. I make EVERY thing with it...most of the time my DH doesn't mind. But, every time we go out to a restuarant he orders a burger...like he's in withdrawal. Now, my kids, they don't know a burger from a well, turkey burger.

I like the pita pizza idea... haven't done that in a while.
    CK is the one!!

• a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Registered Users Posts: 673
    I LOVE pita pizzas, but I found that I had trouble getting the pita crust crisp enough. I finally figured out a solution--toast the split pitas a few minutes in the oven (either lightly brushed with EVOO or plain) AND (this is the more important part IMO), replace the sauce with Italian style tomato paste. If I need to thin it down I add a little tomato juice or EVOO (it doesn't take much).
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    whatsercurl, I looked up the Eat Clean Diet site. That looks really interesting. I might get the book this weekend. Thanks
  • leelee28leelee28 Registered Users Posts: 137
    hopetocurl wrote: »
    My DH loves salads but his salad is a little bit of lettuce covered with cheese and then about a cup of thousand island or bleu cheese... he doesn't understand... "I eat salads every day and I don't know why I don't lose..." I tried to explain it...he just *won't* get it.

HAHA! My fiance is the EXACT SAME WAY!!
    His mom is always like "Leann, I really can't believe he eats salads now! He never used to eat them!" and I'm like... you mean he eats 2 cups of ranch dressing with some lettuce and croutons?? HA. He's trying to fix it, but I always think it's funny when I pull out the healthy eating card and he says "I eat salads!"

men.....:boxing:
    Type: 3b with a little 3a f/m mix, ii

A "Mrs." as of June 26, 2010 :love3:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file