race vs. The Race

Frizzia Frizzia Registered Users Posts: 43
I live with a very conservative grandmother. She's voting for McCain, because mainly, he's 100% white.
She also believes that Obama is muslim ( which he's not). She tell's me "Roots run deep" and the country will be doomed if he's elected (she also has a theory he may be the antichrist). I dont like McCains' view of womans rights mainly, and of course the war. She basically is voting for him because of his skin color.

What do you think ?
2c with a bit of 3a curls
Loving: Paul Mitchell Mousse + LA looks curl gel

Comments

• naturalnewbienaturalnewbie Registered Users Posts: 48
    Well, that's grandma. I don't know her age but I guess she comes from a different time. I also had to give my grandmother a pass on things from time to time. She grew up in a strict baptist home and thought that women should not be allowed to preacher, minister, or wear pants to church. I disagree but that's her opinion and no matter how much I think she was wrong she was 82 so she could do what she pleased.
  • Frizzia Frizzia Registered Users Posts: 43
    she's in her 50's
    2c with a bit of 3a curls
    Loving: Paul Mitchell Mousse + LA looks curl gel
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Registered Users Posts: 5,640
    My grandmother is in her 70's and she said she refuses to vote for Obama because he is black and will put all black people in his administration and destroy everything...I told her she can't think like that but she is set in her ways, I told she can't vote! LOL no but seriously the older people are very set in their ways and ideologies you cant change them over night. It's sad when people will vote based on race/color instead of real issues. I WILL NOT be voting for McCain I hate much of his ideologies and I certainly don't respect him
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    (she also has a theory he may be the antichrist)

I'm thinking McCain's "The One" ads may be working on her if she think's Obama is the Antichrist.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I think that it's sad and unfortunate.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    I can't tell you what I think because I'm not in the habit of insulting people's grandmothers.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Wait...aren't you Black? Is your g-ma Black too? Errr...
    My grandmother is in her 70's and she said she refuses to vote for Obama because he is black and will put all black people in his administration and destroy everything...I told her she can't think like that but she is set in her ways, I told she can't vote! LOL no but seriously the older people are very set in their ways and ideologies you cant change them over night. It's sad when people will vote based on race/color instead of real issues. I WILL NOT be voting for McCain I hate much of his ideologies and I certainly don't respect him
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    My grandmother was the same way. She was raised like that and continued to believe all her life. :thumbdown: I'm waiting, watching, reading, and waiting until closer to election to make my decision. I don't think color should be the reason to vote or not to vote for someone.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    Not trying to insult anyones grandparents...but age is no excuse for ignorance. There are LOTS of people that grew up in a "different" time....if they all believed what was the "norm" back in that era...nothing would ever change.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte

Black-on-Black racism is not a new trend.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Phoenix wrote: »

No I'm Dominican, and my grandma falls for all the b.s. that is put out about Obama. I try to talk to her and make her see both sides but she isn't have it. I honestly don't even think she knows what both candidates want to do if they're elected president, she just doesn't want Obama in there which is pretty sad because she is just voting on the basis of color instead of what really matters.
    She thinks Obama is going to fill his administration with incompetent arrogant black folks so I pointed out that (just for arguments sake with her) the Bush and previous administrations have been mostly all white and that hasn't made anything better for anyone (except the elites of course.) But whatever you can't change people but I seriously dislike the fact that my grandmother and people like her are voting for a candidate based on race/color it PISSES ME OFF!

ETA: Nappy_Curly_Crown ITA with you but what can you do? You can't change people, some of them are just set in their ways and habits unfortunate as it is.

• The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur

Black-on-Black racism is not a new trend.

It's true. But from what SIB wrote it didn't sound like a case of self hatred. And now that I see her reply, I guess her g-ma doesn't see it as such either because it appears she doesn't self identify as Black. However, from looking at SIBs photos I'd figure she's a Black woman. I recall the Dominicans and hair thread from a while ago and see how this is an issue there. I really don't want to sound patronizing or offensive so perhaps I should let this one go and beg off this thread now.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Phoenix wrote: »

It's true. But from what SIB wrote it didn't sound like a case of self hatred. And now that I see her reply, I guess her g-ma doesn't see it as such either because it appears she doesn't self identify as Black. However, from looking at SIBs photos I'd figure she's a Black woman. I recall the Dominicans and hair thread from a while ago and see how this is an issue there. I really don't want to sound patronizing or offensive so perhaps I should let this one go and beg off this thread now.

A lot of people think I'm black when they see me but I dont get offended at all. I don't (and my family as well) don't identify ourselves as black because we have such a mix in our blood line (lot of Spaniard and other things.) The issue with Dominicans and being identified as black comes mostly from the Trujillo era (was a harsh dictator in power for 30 yrs) he tried to wipe out all Haitians in DR and tried to "whiten" the country by being the first country in the Western Hemisphere to let Jewish people in. He made it seem very negative to be dark skinned, even dark skinned people in DR won't see themselves as dark skinned/black all that goes back to the Trujillo era (he had thousands of Haitians killed during the Perejil massacre) any who let me stop guano-ing on this thread sorry to the OP!

• Myradella3Myradella3 Registered Users Posts: 2,481
    I think more people believe like the g'moms mentioned that care to admit it. And that's why Obama won't win. This country, in 2008, will not elect a black person president. It simply will not happen. That being said, I'm not sure for whom I'm voting. But should I go with Obama, I'll be one of the few he gets. I live in KY where people have said, on camera and unashamedly: "I'm not voting for the colored guy" (and that person went on the say that there was nothing wrong with coloreds, he just didn't want one over him). One woman said, re: the primary - "I just don't know. A woman or black - what's the world coming to". So if I go with Obama, he still still won't get KY's 8 electoral votes.
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Banned Users Posts: 956
    This country, in 2008, will not elect a black person president.

I don't think it will elect a black President or any non-white President for that matter until the current majority becomes the minority. I don't look forward to that either because of the history the white race has of dealing with other races. I don't care how un-pc is it is to say that - it's the truth, and it's a big concern I have, despite wanting to see a minority President in power very much. The reception I get from many white people, including members of my family, is that they feel they'll be giving up something by electing a black President. I think whites will largely stick to their own, just like blacks are accused of doing. I live in Ohio, a big battleground state, and I know for sure that the rural areas will go largely McCain despite typically being in play and having been poised since '06 to go Democratic this year.

Strangely enough, despite serious racial problems between blacks and Latinos where I live, most of the racial comments about Obama come from the shrinking white population (we're about 2/3 white, 1/3 black, 1/3 Latino). I'm surprised to see the huge support for Obama among Latinos, especially from my mom and grandma who I thought would definitely make Obama's race a big issue. I don't know what it is with older white people - my dad's side of the family is working class, mostly Democratic. My grandma and aunt are quite liberal and *always* go Democratic, yet this year they're hedging.

Reading through this thread compels me to buy an Obama shirt and wear it at a place where lots of older white women hang out. :compress:
  • March HareMarch Hare Registered Users Posts: 104
    As an aside, I think it would be interesting learning who blind voters are voting for.

Which reminds me, how do the blind perceive the notion of race?:scratch:
    It was the best butter, you know.:albino:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file