help! fragile skin

goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
My skin becomes very fragile in the wintertime. It tears easily. My cuticles are rough and awful looking. I get horrible papercuts and nothing wants to heal.

This happens every winter :(
________
Colorado medical marijuana dispensaries

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Eucerin is a great moisturizer for very dry skin like you describe.

keep your hands OUT of water as much as possible - if you have to wash dishes, put lotion on and wear rubber gloves.

when you're watching tv, put a lot of moisturizer on and put cheap, cotton gloves over them to lock in moisture.

my column from February is about dry skin.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • stars629stars629 Posts: 84Registered Users
    if it gets really bad, apply eucerin aquaphor and gloves at night :)
    3a

Faves: Deva One C, Spiral Curls Cream, NECL, Aura Hypoallergenic, Curl Junkie, Jessicurl
    B&A Gel + AG Recoil + CurlKeeper
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the same problem with my fingers/cuticles. I have been using Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream and it has helped tremendously. It is a bit pricey though.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • CricketCricket Posts: 205Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote:
    Eucerin is a great moisturizer for very dry skin like you describe.

keep your hands OUT of water as much as possible - if you have to wash dishes, put lotion on and wear rubber gloves.

when you're watching tv, put a lot of moisturizer on and put cheap, cotton gloves over them to lock in moisture.

my column from February is about dry skin.

I second this recommendation. My son's knuckles were like rhino skin and in the winter his cuticles and between his fingers would crack and bleed. His doctor (who also has this problem) told us to buy the Eucerin in the tub/jar it is thick like marshmallow whip. He globs it on at bedtime and then wears the cotton gloves overnight (I get them at Sallys-buy more than one pair b/c they get yucky and you have to wash them).

Now his hands are soft! No more rhino skin or cracking and bleeding! This is the first time in years he is pain free. Yay!
    3a fine, thin, loose curls
    http://public.fotki.com/CricketCurl/
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    In addition to lotion you could also try a paraffin spa. They're relatively inexpensive and I know several people who swear by them.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions! I bought a tub of Aquaphor and use it every night but I haven't been using gloves over it.

The Aquaphor is too greasy for daytime, so I bought Curel Ultra Healing with extra-strength skin hydrators. It feels so good without being goopy! And my hands even still feel good after washing them. I had tried the Jergens Utra Healing one, but wasn't impressed. It was good on my legs, but not on my poor hands.

I realized part of the problem is I am working more this time of year. I am an artist and have been painting quite a bit lately. I normally use a barrier cream to prevent my skin from absorbing the chemicals in the paint and to prevent staining. I ran out of the barrier cream, so I've been slathering on lotion and then painting. This helps prevent staining, but it doesn't actually protect my skin from the chemical onslaught. Duh! :oops:
    ________
    Depakote Lawsuit
  • Ava79Ava79 Posts: 159Registered Users
    Guano: Aquaphor is great on the lips too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file