What's your "type?"

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
of man (romantically speaking). OK...or woman... physically, emotionally, intellectually, spiritually...

what other categories are there...? Age, money/material things, overall "style," i.e., bad boy, thug, metrosexual, nice guy, nerd/brainiac, artist/tortured artist, avant garde, yuppie/buppie/preppy, cowboy, gentlemen, frat boy, metalhead, chav/thug wannabe (sorry is 'chav' offensive?)

Describe your "type," your ideal, the type you're with now or the type you tend to gravite to
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Posts: 1,042Registered Users
    The nerdy kind. somehow most of them are with glasses. Nice teeth. Tall and muscular. :shock:
    And the end of the day , all you've got is yourself..:headbang:
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    I like a lot of different types. Some of my favorite characteristics include: smart, young, lean, brunette, sweet, kind, tall enough, passionate about things, ambitious, energetic, fun.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    I also like older men with knowledge, experience and some power and authority. Still have to be lean though, and tall enough.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A good boy with morals. Someone who's funny and sweet and not sexist. A good cook, and is vegetarian, too. Has to be physically fit. Must like animals, especially penguins and cows, and must know how to cuddle a stuffed animal.

I want someone who's a good mix of manly and girly: a person who likes outdoorsy stuff like camping and hiking and canoeing (like I do) and can lift heavy objects and fixes things, but also can enjoy the things in life like good taste in clothes, the arts, and cooking, and enjoys keeping his face and hair touchably soft for me.

As for looks, he can have any color hair, eyes, etc. but I prefer clean-shaven guys. Stubble is sexy to look at, but it's annoying to get beard-burn when kissing.

I'm sure there is more, but that's all I'll write for now.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    The most common reactions to asking friends of a guy I'm interested in are "he's the greatest guy I've ever met" and "he's perfect at ________" or "he's a perfect ______."

Physically, there is quite a bit of variety as far as coloring and build. Age ranges from about 4 years younger to about 15 years older. Probably at least 50% have huge, genuine grins with either dimples or creases in the cheeks and crinkles around the eyes.

Some are outgoing, some are shy. There have been guys who were artistic, athletic and nerds. They are ALL very, very smart. And they are all passionate about whatever they do, and tend to be successful at whatever they do. They also all go out of their way to help others in some way. They may be called jerks/a-holes by others when they aren't complete pushovers, but that's how some people feel when someone else won't do whatever they're told. Yet they are all very genuine and do whatever they can to help when they can - just don't kill themselves. They have balance in their lives.

Somehow, I instinctively pick up on those similar personality traits in guys. I have NO idea how, and the latest guy I just instantly was interested in was someone walking past, who I didn't even see well. It was nearly a year later that I was talking to him and made him laugh and saw he had the type of smile I mentioned. But every single guy to whom I have ever been instantly attracted has fit those traits. I've dated other guys, who just haven't been right for me - but with the guys to whom I was instantly attracted, each time it was a matter of timing/situation which made things not work out, NOT a lack of not being a good match. (Though with time maybe we would have figured that out in those situations, too)
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • boarderhopperboarderhopper Banned Posts: 295Banned Users
    some kind of ethnic girl
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love a self-made man. Someone who is confident, generous with his time and money, determined and has a passion for life. I also tend to gravitate toward creative guys.

Physically, I'm attracted to guys who are 6' to 6'4, physically fit, slim to medium build and who have good-looking faces. I've also noticed that the guys that I've been the most physically attracted to have similar facial features regardless of ethnicity.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • sarasarasarasara Posts: 1,561Registered Users
    black hair, or really dark hair. not a beard, but a stubble. doesn't matter what eye color. a sort of droopy nose, but not too droopy. should dress in suits, and if not in a suit in jeans and a blazer. if its too hot he should at least wear something that looks good but not too casual (except if he's in Disney Land). doesnt matter what height. should appear very confident and even snobbish in the way he holds himself, but in person is really humble. at the same time, should be confident in himself in a way that you can trust him and know that you are able to depend on him. should be mature. should be serious, but also have a sense of humor. should be romantic but not too romantic.

Its ok, I know he doesnt exist.

ETA: should have dimples.
    wait here he is

n1166797334_30006348_1400.jpg

n1166797334_30006362_6645.jpg

and he's even wearing what i like

n1166797334_30006370_9520.jpg
    wait here he is

n1166797334_30006348_1400.jpg

n1166797334_30006362_6645.jpg

and he's even wearing what i like

n1166797334_30006370_9520.jpg

yes, I know, I've posted those before. Im sorry:blob7:
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I used to be into pretty-boy types, but then I met my husband who is not at all like that. Very masculine, thick and muscular, lots of tattoos, sometimes shaves his head, and has an overall bad-boy look to him. Now I find that I notice guys like him much more.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like dark hair and dark eyes. Lots of personality and style, nerdy but so cool because of it (in like a Kele Okereke/ Rivers Cuomo kinda way). He's got to be creative-- interested in art/music/writing/learning/etc. I need a high energy to balance my calm energy. And I definitely like guys who's immediate families are from other countries/cultures. I once dated a guy from Trinidad. That was fun.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I will admit I'm drawn to the whole "tall, dark and handsome" thing. I usually like tall guys, I have a slight preference for dark hair, but I do like light haired guys too. I like muscles or the whole tall and lanky thing, but w/muscles. Eyes are a major thing for me, I like guys with really pretty eyes. If they have nice eyes I'm pretty drawn in. Love broad shoulders. As far as personality, he MUST have a sense of humor. I don't want a know-it-all, but I do want someone who is intelligent and gets along with others easily. Also I do not want a metrosexual guy at all. I like manly men that love sports, hunting, etc.
  • LiveFreeDieCurlyLiveFreeDieCurly Posts: 183Registered Users
    I have always liked tall guys which makes absolutely no sense seeing as how I'm only 5'. I like guys who are healthy & physically fit. I love strong, masculine guys that take pride in their appearance. I tend to be attracted to dark hair & dark eyes.

I require someone with a great sense of humor--this is probably the most important thing for me. Also, must like animals! I used to like badboys but now I like someone who is just a tad bad.

I'm not religious so I don't look for that in a partner but I would like someone who is spiritual in some way.

I think that sums up what I look for.
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    3b, brunette
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I don't have a type; I have dated short, tall, white and black men. Almost any guy can be attractive to me if their personality is right.

Mostly it's about how I'm treated and if he can hold an intelligent conversation (but a good sense of humor helps too!) He has to carry himself with confidence as well.
  • nadinanadina Posts: 640Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i stare at and lust over arrogant pretty boys with long hair and tattoos. that's not necessarily who i date though - usually it's men of color, especially latin, asian, black..middle eastern sometimes. i tried many flavas. :laughing7: generally of a different educational background than me - working class types. i really don't usually click with men with graduate degrees. not enough bad boy in them i guess haha. body type varies - since i'm a little soft i don't expect someone to be super cut. :) don't have to be tall but i like that of course. not that into dating a super handsome guy, they're too much trouble for me. i'm too jealous. :evil1:

other than that - mostly younger. it's always someone i can laugh with. always someone who is quick minded and surprises me. someone with a little kid spirit. someone sensual who enjoys eating and dancing and is not too rigid with his life. yup. men are great :)
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Tall, at least 6'. Muscular or at least in pretty good shape. I've mostly dated blonds, although I find dark men very hot; maybe that's just a coincidence.

Aside from physical traits, must be very intelligent and intellectual. I usually go in for slightly geeky types, i.e. into comic books, etc. Good sense of humor. Outgoing.
    ehLB.jpg
  • quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    Although I've dated my share of what I consider to be "stupid hot" - muscular, tan, dark hair, maybe a tattoo or two and a bit of an attitude because they know they're so hot - I usually end up in relationships with guys that are cute or good looking (at least I think so), really tall, dark hair, not thin but not fat either. I like guys that have a great smile and a great sense of humor, they have to be smart but not cocky about it, and I like guys that are romantic...my BF isn't the most romantic guy on the planet, but he tends to be more thoughtful than romantic and he shows me cares by doing things like making me breakfast in bed and doing laundry.
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • MiseMise Posts: 346Registered Users
    A pulse...I'm flexible after that! :laughing7:
    Think I'm 3b-ish...maybe some 3a there too...plus wavy roots....I'm just a mixed bag!:D CG since August '05
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Historically I've dated (and ultimately married) men with runner's builds... strong but not necessarily muscular, tall and slim. I tend to prefer a laid back personality.

I tend to admire from afar big, broad shouldered muscle bound types, but only from afar. I've been with my husband for so long I can't fathom dating someone like that, but I don't find that type unappealing.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I'm stuck in a "my older brother's friends" loop; I'm still attracted to men who resemble my older brother's teenaged friends in the early 70's: skinny with blonde or light brown hair worn long.

About a decade ago I met a guy who looked just like this, and we had GREAT SEX.

Sigh.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Physically, I like dark hair. Ethnic guys are yummy (like the one Sarasara posted - wow!). I've dated Middle-Eastern guys, Italians, Armenians, and some Jewish guys. Only one blonde. Ever.

Most important though, he needs to be smart (book smart and common sense), enjoy the finer things, and have some awareness of the world. He must have a sense of humor, a job, and be able to function in normal society. Fortunately, DH meets all the criteria. :)
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    I dont really have a type dealing with the whole 'looks' thing...but I do prefer a guy who can dress well. I LOVE looking at muscles and tattoos...YUM!
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

• KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I have a bad thing for musicians. Talent really. If they have a passion it's a plus. Something to be passionate about. They also must have a sense of humor, intelligence and compassion. They also have to have a good sense of fun. I can't deal with any stodginess. A delight in the random and ridiculous is also a plus.

As for a physical type I don't think I have one. I like em tall, shorter, light dark, long haired and bald. It's the little things that pull me in.

I too don't go in for the metro thing. I want a guy who can build me stuff, fix my car, and go camping. Someone who's not afraid to get dirty.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I will admit I'm drawn to the whole "tall, dark and handsome" thing. I usually like tall guys, I have a slight preference for dark hair, but I do like light haired guys too. I like muscles or the whole tall and lanky thing, but w/muscles. Eyes are a major thing for me, I like guys with really pretty eyes. If they have nice eyes I'm pretty drawn in. Love broad shoulders. As far as personality, he MUST have a sense of humor. I don't want a know-it-all, but I do want someone who is intelligent and gets along with others easily. Also I do not want a metrosexual guy at all. I like manly men that love sports, hunting, etc.

I agree except I'm more into the metro. I'm not too into sports(except baseball) so someone who doesn't love football is great. I prefer a guy who has his own sense of style and isn't one of those pathetic types that knows nothing about men's fashion. I love tall and broad shoulders. Eyes are not as a big deal to me. He needs to be smart as well.

I'm also into laid back, giving, spontaneous/nonstructured guys. I went on a date once with a guy who gave up his dream just because he thought he needed to be doing so and so by a certain point in his life..turned me off completely. I guess he thought I was one of those women that likes 'stability'.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I dont really have a type dealing with the whole 'looks' thing...but I do prefer a guy who can dress well. I LOVE looking at muscles and tattoos...YUM!

Lord, yes!!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    KookyCurl wrote: »
    I have a bad thing for musicians. Talent really. If they have a passion it's a plus. Something to be passionate about. They also must have a sense of humor, intelligence and compassion. They also have to have a good sense of fun. I can't deal with any stodginess. A delight in the random and ridiculous is also a plus.

As for a physical type I don't think I have one. I like em tall, shorter, light dark, long haired and bald. It's the little things that pull me in.

I too don't go in for the metro thing. I want a guy who can build me stuff, fix my car, and go camping. Someone who's not afraid to get dirty.

Amen! I'm not really attracted to metro guys. Give me a hippie type or a mechanic type who cleans up well is perfect.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • curlinicatorcurlinicator Posts: 911Registered Users
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Someone at least a little bit philosophical, but in a laid back and open way. He can hold to his opinions firmly, but he doesn't pontificate. And where he does hold firm to an opinion he's secure in it being challenged. I don't understand when people do hold firm to stuff and are afraid of it being challenged. If it can't be challenged, how is it worth believing in? Wouldn't grill someone to find that out but it's something that can be picked up on through conversation. Some people just have a meek spirit, and that's fine though. Just don't be a jerk about your views and yet not really think about them. Other than that, a guy basically friendly to everyone, interesting, and somewhat protective, but not in the jealous way.

Physical appearance wise, don't think I really have a set type.

eta: Totally forgot about a good sense of humor, but it's up there at the top. Probably like three traits under sexually male.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file