smoking issue

O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Posts: 1,042Registered Users
For those of you that use to smoke..I have been smoking for about 2 years and recently i have cut down quite a bit.. nowadays i dont smoke more than 3 unless i'm having a drink , but even that is really rare.

I want to totally give up. but sometimes i cant help but smoke at least one. Like today i came in not wanting to smoke , but i got so stressed and i smoked one. i dont buy ciggie anymore , just will once in a while take from the other girls. but i'm so pissed at myself for not being able to stop myself.

I need to drop it , i just dont know how. Please advice me.
And the end of the day , all you've got is yourself..:headbang:

Comments

• live2dream88live2dream88 Posts: 98Registered Users
    For those of you that use to smoke..I have been smoking for about 2 years and recently i have cut down quite a bit.. nowadays i dont smoke more than 3 unless i'm having a drink , but even that is really rare.

I want to totally give up. but sometimes i cant help but smoke at least one. Like today i came in not wanting to smoke , but i got so stressed and i smoked one. i dont buy ciggie anymore , just will once in a while take from the other girls. but i'm so pissed at myself for not being able to stop myself.

I need to drop it , i just dont know how. Please advice me.

I smoked for six years and quit. I always used the stress as an excuse too, but in actuality, the smoking causes more stress, because you are stressing for another smoke. I quit cold turkey after my dad got lung cancer. It's a horrible way to die. I would never smoke again- waste of money, stinks!!, gross, and it kills you! Just do it, is my advice. I chewed a lot of gum (not even the nicotine kind) when I quit. Also locked myself in the bathroom and kicked the walls when I was stressed and found myself craving one. It works!

3a or 2C
    Loving KCKT & KCCC!!!

pw: curlygirl

:color:"Peace comes from within, do not seek it without..."
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Use a patch?

Find a replacement (healthier) habit

When you get the urge, talk a walk, call a friend, something...

Tell your friends not to give you cigs and be enablers, since you're trying to quit

Look at some pics of smokers' lungs

I think there's an association for this. Check out their site for more tips.

Good luck!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I quit cold turkey, but it also helped that I had moved from the west coast to the east coast. Being around all my friends who smoked made it so difficult.
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    That's the worst kind of smoker to treat, the patches and other cessations are too strong. (I speak from experience). Drinking is the worst trigger, so you may have to eliminate altogether for a while.

The best thing is to distract yourself, exercise, take a bath, read, BOB, whatever works.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I disagree with placing the responsibility on other smokers not to enable you by giving you cigs. You have to take responsibility, not place it on others. Where ever you go in life, there might be more people with more cigs.

I agree that patches are way too strong for this level of nicotine. Three cigs a day are simply behavioral/psychological. You shouldn't have physical addiction problems from quitting, just behavioral and emotional ones.
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    OH!! yay! for you that you're quitting smoking!!
    Here, buy this book now!
    I swear, it really helped me a lot. I quit cold turkey.
    No gum, no patches, no drugs... nothing.
    Just cold turkey, with the help of this book.
    I know I sound like an infomercial, but truly...the simple way of looking at smoking outlined in his book, was what helped me quit and stay quit. Look at the reviews... It helped several other people that I know in my little circle of family/friends too.

It's common sense stuff, but it really helps you get the right mindset you need in order to quit for good.
    I was a pack, sometimes pack and a half a day smoker and I quit 5 years ago. I seriously never thought I could do it. I figured I'd always have to have at least a few cigarettes a day for the rest of my life. I associated EVERYTHING with smoking.
    wake up... smoke a cigarette.
    drink coffee...smoke a cigarette.
    put on makeup...smoke a cigarette.
    drive to work...smoke several cigarettes...
    smoke breaks at work...
    watch tv..
    after I eat...
    everything, I associated with smoking.
    That's why it was so hard to quit.
    Plus I was an emotional smoker.

I tried to quit a few times and I always went back to smoking. But after reading that book, I quit for good.
    I haven't had a smoke in over 5 years.. and I don't miss it at all. I am totally back to how it was BEFORE i ever started smoking. That is what I thought would never be possible. Nothing triggers it. I've wiped out all of the triggers.

You still smoke while you read the book. So if you're still having one here and there... it's ok, when you read the book, you'll understand why.

GOOD LUCK!!! :) :) :)
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I wrote up a list of reasons to quit smoking and posted it on my bathroom mirror.
    I bought nicoderm CQ and went through every stage
    I avoided smokers and cocktails
    I learned the art of distraction, if I really wanted to smoke, I went for a run, did crunches, flipped through a photo album, brushed my teeth, visited a neighbor, ANYTHING to get my mind off my desire.
    Good luck!
    2b/3a.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    My BIL and his wife, both long-time heavy smokers, tried all kinds of things and finally quit with the help of a hypnotherapist.
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I smoked for 18 years with the exception of the 9 months I was pregnant. The only thing that helped me was the patch. It took me 3 maybe 4 times, but I've been smoke free for almost 2 years now.

In addition to the patch, I chewed gum, straws, pencils. I don't think mine was so much the addiction to nicotine as it was the habit of having a cig in my hand or mouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    OH!! yay! for you that you're quitting smoking!!
    Here, buy this book now!
    I know I sound like an infomercial, but truly...the simple way of looking at smoking outlined in his book, was what helped me quit and stay quit. Look at the reviews... It helped several other people that I know in my little circle of family/friends too.

It's common sense stuff, but it really helps you get the right mindset you need in order to quit for good.
    I was a pack, sometimes pack and a half a day smoker and I quit 5 years ago. I seriously never thought I could do it. I figured I'd always have to have at least a few cigarettes a day for the rest of my life. I associated EVERYTHING with smoking.
    smoke breaks at work...
    watch tv..
    after I eat...

I tried to quit a few times and I always went back to smoking. But after reading that book, I quit for good.
    I haven't had a smoke in over 5 years.. and I don't miss it at all. I am totally back to how it was BEFORE i ever started smoking. That is what I thought would never be possible. Nothing triggers it. I've wiped out all of the triggers.

You still smoke while you read the book. So if you're still having one here and there... it's ok, when you read the book, you'll understand why.

I just ordered this book. I hope it works. I've been smoking for 41 years. I've used the gum & the lozenges for about 5 years, then fell off the wagon when I lost my job. I'm so tired of this addiction.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just ordered this book. I hope it works. I've been smoking for 41 years. I've used the gum & the lozenges for about 5 years, then fell off the wagon when I lost my job. I'm so tired of this addiction.

yay! I hope it works for you! Like I said, it's common sense stuff, but it gets at the core of the addiction and really helps you to see it in a different light. Good luck :)
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    A friend of mine took up yo-yo-ing.
    hello.world.
  • O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Posts: 1,042Registered Users
    I got very emotional yesterday and bought a pack of ciggie.. somehow i manage to talk myself out and have not smoked yet.. im itching to smoke now..
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Right NOW take that pack and run water over them. Then make a promise to yourself you will not buy another pack! I wish you the best. This is a hard thing to do but YOU CAN DO IT!!!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    I gave to my friend who doesn't have any intention of quiting.

when for a partying last night , which is where i smoke heavily.. i only has 2 ciggie. I'm so proud of myself..
    Its really a start...!
    Oh and
    Originally Posted by yagottaloveyacurls viewpost.gif OH!! yay! for you that you're quitting smoking!!
    Here, buy this book now!

smoke breaks at work...
    watch tv..
    after I eat...

I just bought the ebook!
    If anyone wants it , just PM me , i'll email a copy. :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file