Any Antique Furniture Experts?

SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
We were given a carved antique dining set that we'd really like to get rid of because it's huge and not our style at all (but hey, it was free so I took it!), but I know nothing about antique furniture. So I'm trying to figure out some basics about what we've got and I don't know where to start. I'll probably take photos to an appraiser in town, but I thought I'd just check here first to see if anyone might be able to help identify anything about it.

I've looked all over every piece and can't find any manufacturer name or any other detail that might give some clues. I also have no idea about how old it is, but it's got dovetail construction and when I recovered the chairs, they were filled with what looked like horsehair or something equally icky. I *think* it could be Tudor style, and that it's probably either oak or walnut (though weight-wise it seems light for oak).

Anyway, there's a couple of photos located over here (the last 4 pics in the album) if anyone wants to take a look. Any guesses or help would be much appreciated. Oh, and the chairs in that picture are obviously not the ones that go with the set. Those were ugly newer ones we used temporarily.
Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)

Comments

• goldilocks777goldilocks777 Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    I looked at your pictures, but it's a little hard to tell without more zoomed in pics. Are the china cabinet, etc. part of the set, or is it just table and chairs?

Also, I hope you kept the original seat covers on under the new ones, because if it is an antique recovering the chairs will have significantly decreased the value.

To me, the table does not look antique - it looks like a 60s reproduction of an antique. Do the chairs you have match exactly (the horsehair certainly doesn't sound like 60s repro! :laughing7:) ? Again, though, I can't really say without seeing better pictures. But that closer in pic where there appears to be a gouge in the table shows a thicker veneer over some sort of lighter/cheaper wood, which indicates that it is not antique.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The chairs do not look like they match the other pieces to me (aside from the color). They look to be very basic Queen Anne style chairs, yet the other pieces are more detailed and ornate. ETA I didn't notice your comment above- sorry!!

If you can, not only check the backs and bottoms of the pieces, but open any drawers and look on the bottom, sometimes that's where the maker's labels or stamped information might be.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    Thanks for your response goldilocks!
    To me, the table does not look antique - it looks like a 60s reproduction of an antique. Do the chairs you have match exactly (the horsehair certainly doesn't sound like 60s repro! :laughing7:) ? Again, though, I can't really say without seeing better pictures. But that closer in pic where there appears to be a gouge in the table shows a thicker veneer over some sort of lighter/cheaper wood, which indicates that it is not antique.
    Hmm. I guess they could be a reproduction, but I'm certain they date earlier than the '60s from what little I know of their history. The whole set belonged to our next-door-neighbor, an elderly shut-in guy. The pieces basically sat unused in his stuffy, completely closed up house (the wood on all the pieces was actually moldy when we took it!) for many years. When his children were selling his house, they ran out of time and just gave everything to us the day before the closing (about 5 years ago now). All his kids looked to be in their late 40s/50s, and they told us the set definitely pre-dated all of them. From my Googling, it sounds like veneer isn't unheard of in older pieces, but that the thickness of the veneer is usually what distinguishes them from newer ones (i.e. thicker vs. thin veneer on new furniture). I guess this all means that they could still easily be reproductions. I just have no idea. I plan to take new photos, with close-ups. Would seeing them be at all helpful?
    Are the china cabinet, etc. part of the set, or is it just table and chairs?
    Yep, it's a full set: china cabinet, buffet/sideboard, smaller cabinet thingy (no one can figure out what function it was meant to serve!), and a ginormous dining table with six matching chairs. The table and chairs are in rougher shape - as you noted from seeing the pic of the table - since they were the only pieces that seemed to get regular use. But the other pieces are in amazing shape. Guess all those years of neglect were good for them!
    Also, I hope you kept the original seat covers on under the new ones, because if it is an antique recovering the chairs will have significantly decreased the value.
    I know we should have kept the originals underneath, but the stuffing was so disgusting - totally rotten and mildewing inside - that we couldn't see actually using them the way they were. They'd clearly been recovered several times previously, most recently in some *lovely* maroon fake leather stuff.

We hadn't planned on getting rid of the set for a while, but the pieces are all just so big that they don't fit well in our new house. That and I really don't like the aesthetic at all :wink:
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    Spider wrote: »
    The chairs do not look like they match the other pieces to me (aside from the color). They look to be very basic Queen Anne style chairs, yet the other pieces are more detailed and ornate. ETA I didn't notice your comment above- sorry!!
    Yep, those were other ugly chairs we were using till we dealt with the festering originial cushions!
    Spider wrote: »
    If you can, not only check the backs and bottoms of the pieces, but open any drawers and look on the bottom, sometimes that's where the maker's labels or stamped information might be.
    I have been over every, single piece looking for such an identifier, even under all the drawers, and I can't find anything!
  • goldilocks777goldilocks777 Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    Hey SP -

Sounds like you might want to try taking them to a dealer, then! It's great news that you've got the whole set - that will seriously increase the value of every piece. Good luck, and I hope you get something out of the deal :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file