Thousands laid off in California

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California has moved to end a budget crisis by sacking 22,000 state workers and ordering pay cuts for 200,000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7536486.stm
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• live2dream88live2dream88 Posts: 98Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California has moved to end a budget crisis by sacking 22,000 state workers and ordering pay cuts for 200,000.

Damn, and I was thinking of moving there...

3a or 2C
    Loving KCKT & KCCC!!!

pw: curlygirl

:color:"Peace comes from within, do not seek it without..."
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users

This is about the state workers, though. If you aren't in public service there are still jobs in other fields.
  • CarrollCarroll Posts: 224Registered Users
    tantrum wrote: »

This is about the state workers, though. If you aren't in public service there are still jobs in other fields.

The job market is AWFUL right now....I've been looking for 5 months and I have many friends/family members in the exact same boat. They have recently extended un-employment because it's sooooo bad right now:sad8:
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    tantrum wrote: »

Yeah, but a layoff that dramatic, plus pay cuts, will have effects throughout the entire state economy.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    They laid off temps, student assistants, and retired annuitants, and it's only until the budget is signed.

The legislators go "on vacation" right before the budget is due to be signed, when they come back, it's all ready over-due.

My mom works for the state and her salary until the budget is signed is $6.55 (federal minimum wage). A few years ago, she received IOU's as a paycheck for a few months.

Kinda sucks.
    :rambo:
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    One of the crazier things about this is that 80% of DMV employees here are part time, so for now the DMV might actually be more of a headache to deal with.

The budget was supposed to be signed June 15th, and then everything gets cuts off Jul. 1st for the legislature, can't get new office supplies, can't mail things out, etc. The lawmakers should be, and for the most part are on break now. They didn't actually go before it was due, they just didn't pass the budget. Since it's not passed though, they have to stick around within the state. Legislative staff is use to not getting paid during this time anyway, every year their banks give them loans for the pay period since we haven't passed a budget on time in years.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file