Someone please help me

goodchar1991goodchar1991 Posts: 21Registered Users
So... kind of a long story.

I love the band Maroon 5. I joined their message board and met a lot of new friends who also love them, the lead singer especially.

Their last tour date for their tour is in West Palm Beach, Florida. I live in Louisiana. I was planning on going to their Dallas, Texas concert since it was closer. But the friends I've gained through the message board are all planning on going to the one in Florida,even though they live out of state. But i'm the one that lives the furthest from it.

I need help convincing my parents to let me go. I'm not sure how they'd feel if i told them i met some people online because they've always been a bit nervous about stuff like that.

can someone help me? thanks!
"It's not always rainbows and butterflies, it's compromise it moves us along."

~~Sarah- Official Maroon 5-obsessed fan~~

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    May I ask how old you are?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote: »

That was going to be my question, as well. OMG, when is school going to be resuming. We have so many young posters right now.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Posts: 1,042Registered Users
    Yup , that was the first thing popped into my head. HOW OLD ARE YOU?
    And the end of the day , all you've got is yourself..:headbang:
  • goodchar1991goodchar1991 Posts: 21Registered Users
    17. i turn 18 January 30. i can't believe i forgot to put that in there. lol

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I wouldn't let you go alone either. I know it's uncool to have your parents tag along, but how about a favorite aunt, someone your parents trust but with whom you can have fun?

Does it surprise you much that your parents don't want you to travel that far to meet up with "internet strangers"?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I agree with PH. It's just way too dangerous to be that far from home and crossing state lines with nobody you know IRL. If you were 18, it would be different. The fact that you need your parents' permission tells me it's not a good idea.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    Heck If i were your mom no way would i allow you to go off with a bunch of strangers . you never know who is sitting behind the screen of a computer.
    i know you are pretty much an adult and can go if you feel like it , but think long and hard about it first.
    :binky::roll::eye:
    national anthem for self-pity :binky:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawR7VYNdNg
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think at that age I would have been permitted to go, IF I brought a friend with me. Maybe one of your trustworthy friends that mom and dad like will come along...
    Maybe I'm just dreaming, because I can't remember taking a trip by myself until right after graduation...
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    Oh no no no no way.

DH didn't even want ME going to meet up with "internet people" and I'm over 30. :laughing7:
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm over 18 and go "away" to college, and I definitely would not meet up with internet people! Sorry, OP, but it's just not a good idea.

PartyHair wrote: »

I think the "1991" in the OP's screenname was a tipoff..." :)
    I don't think DS will have this problem when he gets older because I'm the one always dragging HIM to concerts. :laughing7:
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I've met some nice people through message boards. Many women here have met their SOs through the 'net.

And last I checked, Bianca, PhDcow, Geeky, Scarlet, Cyndi, NYCG, Violets, Legends and DeCurlo weren't ax-murderers.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to let my teen go to a concert with some online friends. But I'd be her personal chauffeur. It's either that or she doesn't go.
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry, there's no way I would let you go if you were my child. This world is too.freakin.crazy.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote: »
    I've met some nice people through message boards. Many women here have met their SOs through the 'net.

And last I checked, Bianca, PhDcow, Geeky, Scarlet, Cyndi, NYCG, Violets, Legends and DeCurlo weren't ax-murderers.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to let my teen go to a concert with some online friends. But I'd be her personal chauffeur. It's either that or she doesn't go.

Same here. I've met some wonderful people via message boards and networking sites. None of them dangerous, and many of them I still hang out with to this day. But Like Medussa said, the only way I'd let my teen go out of state is if I was chauffeur. I think that's reasonable. Mom (or dad) don't necessarily have to go to the concert with you, but I think having them drive you and maybe a friend or two wouldn't be that bad.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    medussa wrote: »
    Exactly. I've gone to lots of online meetups and haven't met an axe murderer yet. :laughing7: I wouldn't let my teen go alone though. Then again, I wouldn't let my teen go to Miami for spring break alone either so maybe I'm just one of those mean moms. ;)
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I think my parents would have let me go somewhere with internet friends if I went with someone I knew IRL that they knew and trusted. But not that far. Correct my if I'm wrong, but even if you're on the very eastern edge of LA, it's still like 800 miles to West Palm Beach. I doubt I would have felt comfortable going that far with people I didn't know IRL.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can you get a group of your real life friends to go? Even my parents let us go to stuff like that when we were seniors (well, they let me go to another city, my middle brother got to go a little further, and my last brother they were just like...don't leave the country. When should we expect you to be home?) and if you're a pretty responsible kid in general, that might work.

However, I wouldn't encourage even an adult daughter (or even my adult daughter and just one friend) to do something like this with a group of virtual strangers. They are almost certainly all on the up and up but it only takes one crazy and then I'm the stupid parent who endangered my daughter for what? A concert. No.

PS I'm from Louisiana, too. It has reached the point that if you want to see any fairly big show, you have to leave the state. It SUCKS. Unless you want to hear local bands, there is just no one playing around here anymore.
  • goodchar1991goodchar1991 Posts: 21Registered Users
    Well..... thanks for the input guys. I actually wouldn't be traveling WITH the people I met online. We'd just meet up. But I just think I'm going to go to the Dallas show.... I calculated the gas and it was like $140 and it takes 14 hours to get there..... plus hotel.... plus food..... nah.

Dallas, Texas for me I guess. I can't wait until I get older and have more money..... lots of concerts for me! lol

Whoever said they live in Louisiana too and not much stuff comes here- I totally agree with you!!! But I do happen to know that Maroon 5 is coming to the House of Blues in New Orleans on September 29 along with Brandi Carlile.... but you have to be over 18 to go!!! lol. Yeah it sucks for me.

But thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it! :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file