Does It Exist????

live2dream88live2dream88 Posts: 98Registered Users
Is there anyone out there that LOVES their city/state they live in? My husband and I have been looking for a house, but I keep getting this nagging feeling that I'll be stuck here forever if I do and the cold weather does nothing for me.

I want to be somewhere that's warm year round (or just not extremes either way). Cheap to live, but not a lot of crime. Nice people. Not a lot of traffic. Medium sized city. Water is good (lakes or ocean). Lots of computer jobs with good pay. Does this place exist? Cause I'm ready to pack my bags and go!

3a or 2C
Loving KCKT & KCCC!!!

pw: curlygirl

:color:"Peace comes from within, do not seek it without..."

Comments

• YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    Is there anyone out there that LOVES their city/state they live in? My husband and I have been looking for a house, but I keep getting this nagging feeling that I'll be stuck here forever if I do and the cold weather does nothing for me.

I want to be somewhere that's warm year round (or just not extremes either way). Cheap to live, but not a lot of crime. Nice people. Not a lot of traffic. Medium sized city. Water is good (lakes or ocean). Lots of computer jobs with good pay. Does this place exist? Cause I'm ready to pack my bags and go!

When you find it let me know. I can guarantee you Chicago is not the place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    San Jose, CA!!!

Great weather, good job climate, EXPENSIVE.

Love it!

Oh, nm, you said cheap to live. Carry on. :)
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We spent 9 months on and off traveling the country trying to find what you're searching for. No luck for us. I hope you do better!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • Ephesians2:8Ephesians2:8 Posts: 170Registered Users
    I'm not from Boston, nor have I been there, but everyone I know from there seems to LOVE it.
    3a. My hair does what it wants.. currently waiting for BKT treatment to go away.

“What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” - Mark 8:36
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I'm not from Boston, nor have I been there, but everyone I know from there seems to LOVE it.

She said warm weather year round. Pay attention! :joker:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    Go west! I LOVED living in southern California. It's expensive if you live in a city, but there are plenty of less expensive burbs. Perfectly balanced warm weather all year, decent jobs prospects (if you're skilled in your field), and housing is finally starting to be affordable again if you want to buy a place of your own.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Des Moines, Iowa is d*mn cold in the winter and it's hot in the summer, but it meets your other criteria. It's affordable, short commute time, lots to do if you like outdoors (no mountains or white water though), and the people are nice. The cost of living is affordable and you can live well here.

DH is from the Chicago area and wants to move back there. We periodically look at it, but there's no way we could do it and maintain the standard of living we have here. Des Moines is two hours from Omaha; three hours from Kansas City; four hours from Minneapolis; and five hours from Chicago.

Please move here! I wanna have curly get togethers! :flower:
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • gemidevigemidevi Posts: 510Registered Users
    I love LOVE living in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's a 'small big city', great place to live. It does get cold here in the winter, but not soo bad! We have lakes in driving distance, mountains, desert and great air! I think crime is every where, and we have our fair share, but it's not scary here!

Computer jobs - not so many, but the industry is growing here. Check out craigslist and dice, lots of jobs posted there.

You can also check out www.dukecityfix.com. It's a great online forum and blog site for those of us living here and those wanting to move here.
    *disclaimer* spelling, grammatical and psychological errors are for your enjoyment. :)
  • live2dream88live2dream88 Posts: 98Registered Users
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    Des Moines, Iowa is d*mn cold in the winter and it's hot in the summer, but it meets your other criteria. It's affordable, short commute time, lots to do if you like outdoors (no mountains or white water though), and the people are nice. The cost of living is affordable and you can live well here.

DH is from the Chicago area and wants to move back there. We periodically look at it, but there's no way we could do it and maintain the standard of living we have here. Des Moines is two hours from Omaha; three hours from Kansas City; four hours from Minneapolis; and five hours from Chicago.

Well I live in Minnesota now, so don't think Iowa would be all that much different. I LOVE the summers in Minnesota, but I don't like the winters. I love swimming in the lakes here in MN. I wish there was somewhere that you could swim in the lakes year round.

My hubby and I have traveled a lot and our favorites are CA, OR, CO, HI & FL. But CA is too expensive to live, Oregon - doesn't seem like a whole lot of computer jobs (I'm a programmer), CO still has the coldness, and FL has hurricanes, humidity & bugs. Damn. I don't know what to do. I think we are going to have to try California or Oregon. Any advice or good cities to live in those states? (that might meet some of our criteria?) Hawaii would be awesome too, but so far away...we have thought about it though.

3a or 2C
    Loving KCKT & KCCC!!!

gemidevi wrote: »
    I love LOVE living in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's a 'small big city', great place to live. It does get cold here in the winter, but not soo bad! We have lakes in driving distance, mountains, desert and great air! I think crime is every where, and we have our fair share, but it's not scary here!

Computer jobs - not so many, but the industry is growing here. Check out craigslist and dice, lots of jobs posted there.

You can also check out www.dukecityfix.com. It's a great online forum and blog site for those of us living here and those wanting to move here.

I've never really considered Albuquerque. Thanks, I'll have to look into that!

3a or 2C
    Loving KCKT & KCCC!!!

• PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    LoloDSM wrote: »

Well I live in Minnesota now, so don't think Iowa would be all that much different. I LOVE the summers in Minnesota, but I don't like the winters. I love swimming in the lakes here in MN. I wish there was somewhere that you could swim in the lakes year round.

My hubby and I have traveled a lot and our favorites are CA, OR, CO, HI & FL. But CA is too expensive to live, Oregon - doesn't seem like a whole lot of computer jobs (I'm a programmer), CO still has the coldness, and FL has hurricanes, humidity & bugs. Damn. I don't know what to do. I think we are going to have to try California or Oregon. Any advice or good cities to live in those states? (that might meet some of our criteria?) Hawaii would be awesome too, but so far away...we have thought about it though.
    So I guess Minneapolis is out of the question? ;)

I LOVE it here. I've lived in other states, and traveled through most of the continental US, and here is home. Boston is beautiful, and historic, but rather expensive, and still cold in the winter. I've always liked London too.

ETA: Target, Thomson and Digital River are good places for programming jobs.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    I love where I live, but I get all four seasons. Sometimes all in the same day. You wouldn't like it here.
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • KeeweeKeewee Posts: 1,376Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey come to NYC (Staten Island ) and buy my house its up for sale. You can't get better then NYC... its 20 minutes from S.I. I'll send you pictures of my house lol
    3A some 3b Total Product Junkie
    P/Wmarissa
    http://public.fotki.com/Keewee
  • Ephesians2:8Ephesians2:8 Posts: 170Registered Users
    YolyC wrote: »

haha. poop. I should stop trying to speed read.
    In that case, I hear north carolina is nice, and also pretty cheap.
    3a. My hair does what it wants.. currently waiting for BKT treatment to go away.

“What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” - Mark 8:36
  • StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    I want to be somewhere that's warm year round (or just not extremes either way). Cheap to live, but not a lot of crime. Nice people. Not a lot of traffic. Medium sized city. Water is good (lakes or ocean). Lots of computer jobs with good pay.

Have you looked at Austin, TX? It's a medium sized city. Live Music Capitol of the World!

Warm year round, but 3-4 months of it is upper 90s-100 degree summers.

Austin is probably the most expensive city in TX, but TX as a whole is a much cheaper place to live than either coast. I used to live in Minneapolis, and the cost of living between Austin and Minneapolis is right about the same.

Not a lot of crime here. Austin is a bit different from the rest of Texas since the people here tend to be much more liberal, socially and politically.

Traffic, uh - well - traffic can be an issue. I live near my job, plus I work a flex schedule, so it isn't an issue for me. But if you have a real commute across town, it can be ugly if you are not on a flex schedule or live nearby.

Plenty of lakes for boating/swimming here and in surrounding areas. Rivers for tubing/kayaking. LOTS to do outdoors year round, but again, it can be pretty hot in June/July/Aug/Sept. We are around 4-6 hours (depending on destination) from the south Texas coast, which have decent beaches.

Austin also is a high-tech area. I am in high-tech, and there are jobs if you have the skills.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    gemidevi wrote: »

I've never really considered Albuquerque. Thanks, I'll have to look into that!

Tucson is pretty similar to Albuquerque, though I *think* more computer jobs. (Not entirely sure.) We're also a little hotter. But I *love* it here. No place is perfect, and we can't plan road construction for crap. But I love it!

(Umm.... and that suggestion of Austin? If my roots weren't here, I'd live there in a heartbeat! Amazing city.)
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • boarderhopperboarderhopper Banned Posts: 295Banned Users
    tantrum wrote: »
    Go west! I LOVED living in southern California. It's expensive if you live in a city, but there are plenty of less expensive burbs. Perfectly balanced warm weather all year, decent jobs prospects (if you're skilled in your field), and housing is finally starting to be affordable again if you want to buy a place of your own.

i live there right now and i agree.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    YolyC wrote: »

haha. poop. I should stop trying to speed read.
    In that case, I hear north carolina is nice, and also pretty cheap.

North Carolina is VERY nice. We have all 4 seasons, and it does get HOT, but not too cold. It's green with lots of trees, mountains, and the beach. There are lots of good lakes for boating and water activities...
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    CGE wrote: »
    I love where I live, but I get all four seasons. Sometimes all in the same day. You wouldn't like it here.

So you live in the DC area too, eh?
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.

Minnesota is like that too. It could be 80 and sunny in the morning and by lunch, thunderstorm/tornado weather. And in the winter, it's the same thing except 50 and sunny in the morning, then 0 degrees and snowing in the afternoon. I think it has to do with global warming, it's happening all over the world, causing major weather fluctuations. But I'm still on the search for the perfect place, where it is not as severe.

3a or 2C
    Loving KCKT & KCCC!!!

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Tejas! :toothy7:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I'm no help. I LOVE my state but it's pretty damn cold here in the winter. Maine is just too beautiful to pass up. Lakes, rocky coast, mountains, rivers. It's all here. Small walkable cities, easy drives.

Sure the black flies and the humidity and the snow and the mud bug me. But I still wouldn't trade it. Now if someone offered me to the chance to live in Paris I might reconsider but for now I'm happy.
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think the problem is the majority of the requirements you have are what drives up demand and makes someplace expensive to live. Maybe if you prioritized the most important aspects and focused on those you would be able to find most of what you are looking for. I love where I live (Boston) but like others have said, it is cold and expensive.

South Carolina is beautiful, IMO, but also tends to be expensive and I don't know that it has a wealth of computer jobs.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users

Missouri.
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    San Antonio, Texas. It's a fun, family-oriented city. We have several lakes around, the ocean is two hours drive, our water is fresh from the Edwards Aquifer. As long as you live on the northside, crime won't be an issue. The weather is very nice. We have two seasons....summer and January. Yes, it can get pretty hot, but that's ideal for water sports. It's cheap to live here...and we are not effected near as bad by the economic crisis that other cities are having. I love it here. If I couldn't be here, I would live in Austin, Texas. It's more high-tech and has a better music scene...but the traffic there is ridiculous.
    I've visited Minnesota in the summer time and even the mornings are cold there. Brrr. It will definitely be a big change in climate...but personally, I'd rather deal with 90+ temperatures in the summer time than the deathly cold temperatures up north in the winter time. I don't know how you people do it.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    rileyb wrote: »
    I think the problem is the majority of the requirements you have are what drives up demand and makes someplace expensive to live. Maybe if you prioritized the most important aspects and focused on those you would be able to find most of what you are looking for. I love where I live (Boston) but like others have said, it is cold and expensive.

South Carolina is beautiful, IMO, but also tends to be expensive and I don't know that it has a wealth of computer jobs.

Computer jobs are really only in the Charlotte area (Charlotte is in NC, but on the border, so a lot of people commute from SC) or in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. Not much employment anywhere in the rest of that state.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users

She lives in St. Louis, duh!
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For friendliness, people in Cleveland are great, but we don't meet your other criteria, particularly weather. You sound like you need a western state to meet your weather and employment needs. Not sure on the "cheap," though.
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    hopetocurl wrote: »
    rileyb wrote: »

Computer jobs are really only in the Charlotte area (Charlotte is in NC, but on the border, so a lot of people commute from SC) or in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. Not much employment anywhere in the rest of that state.

Huh?

You do realize that IBM has a HUGE office in Raleigh, right?

There are LOTS of computer-related jobs in the "Research Triangle" - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and RTP (research triangle park)
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file