Um, help! Horrible sunburn.

spiderman5000spiderman5000 Posts: 673Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I went fishing the other day with some friends. I put a lot of sunscreen on. I unfortunately didn't take it in the boat with us. We ended up staying out for over ten hours.

My forehead, ankles, hands, and wrists are red and SWOLLEN. The skin on my nose is oozing and peeling. I just woke up from a nap and now the bags under my eyes are swollen.

I bought some aloe vera gel with lidocaine in it last night. It has made some of the red go away. I don't know what else to do? Do people go to the doc for sunburns? Do I just wait it out? It's absolutely painful and I look horrible!!

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    by all means go to the doctor or the emergency room - you've described a second-degree burn.

ibuprofen, aspirin or Aleeve will help with the pain and swelling. keep the aloe gel in the fridge so it will feel good when you apply it, but don't apply any burn ointments.

cold compresses (but don't put ice directly on the skin) will help, a cool bath would be better.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-burns/FA00022

take extra good care of yourself for the next few days.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just recently discovered a nice remedy for sunburns. I got a really bad burn during the flood in June, my chest was burnt to a crisp, redder then the reddest apple or tomato. What I found that help was to brew a very strong dark tea, I don't think the kind matter as long as it's dark and strong. I used peppermint because that was what I had. Then refrigerate until it's cool. Then use a washcloth to gently dab it on the burn. Warning it will stain stuff. It really helps remove the sting. I just let it air dry on my skin, and would reapply every few hours or so. It might be just a coincidence, but it seemed like my skin started healing much much faster after I started doing this. You apparently can use it in a bath as well, but I didn't try that.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yup, take it to the doctor or E-room. those are 2nd degree burns, and you could have sunstroke.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    oh my gosh...no advice...just hugs...ouch
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • spiderman5000spiderman5000 Posts: 673Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks guys. I used black tea bags under my eyes and on my forehead. The red and puffiness has gone down. As for my burned nose and random swelling/burning in other places, I'm going to head to the doc or an urgent care place tomorrow.

I'm mad because I want to go to the gas station to get some ice cream but I'm a bit embarrased by the state of my face. Three people came up to me at Wal-Mart last night to let me know that I had a sunburn. I realize they're trying to be nice and helpful, but good friggin lord is that annoying. A drunk guy told me my face was burned and I *****ingly thanked him and told him how much I appreciated him letting me know, especially since I didn't own a mirror.

Grrr.
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    Thanks guys. I used black tea bags under my eyes and on my forehead. The red and puffiness has gone down. As for my burned nose and random swelling/burning in other places, I'm going to head to the doc or an urgent care place tomorrow.

I'm mad because I want to go to the gas station to get some ice cream but I'm a bit embarrased by the state of my face. Three people came up to me at Wal-Mart last night to let me know that I had a sunburn. I realize they're trying to be nice and helpful, but good friggin lord is that annoying. A drunk guy told me my face was burned and I *****ingly thanked him and told him how much I appreciated him letting me know, especially since I didn't own a mirror.

Grrr.

I hate stupid people like that!!! Last winter I burned my face snowboarding, so I had some amazing WHITE goggle circles on my extremely burnt face. I had passengers in my terminal start talking to me then just kinda stop and go "What happened to your face???" Yea...just a sun burn...carry on...Id get so mad :)

I live with Aloe by my bed. Its my only suggestion! Feel better soon!
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

• bixbybixby Posts: 20Registered Users
    I don't have anything new to say about actual skincare, but be warned: DRINK LOTS OF WATER. I got a bad sunburn, similar to the one you described, and a couple of days later I passed out from dehydration. The doctors told me it was because of the sunburn, so make sure you're staying reeeeally hydrated!
    nyc 3a
    Thanks ya'll. I just started drinking a ton of water. Do you think it'll make the puffiness get a bit better?

Starrwithoutnite: That would've made me so mad! Why do people think it's necessary to point things out like that? Do they think they're being helpful? They're just being far too nosy!!!

I would never EVER mention anything like that to someone I don't know. You never know who has what disease or condition. Ughh.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks ya'll. I just started drinking a ton of water. Do you think it'll make the puffiness get a bit better?

Starrwithoutnite: That would've made me so mad! Why do people think it's necessary to point things out like that? Do they think they're being helpful? They're just being far too nosy!!!

I would never EVER mention anything like that to someone I don't know. You never know who has what disease or condition. Ughh.

That's one of my big pet peeves too. You can tell the difference between someone who is burning right now, as in, they are outside or just came in, and starting to look a little pink vs someone who has had a burn for a while. If it looks painful, then they probably already know about it. I would think that would be common sense.
    Common sense: Something alot of people don't have.

It's just sad.
  • curlinicatorcurlinicator Posts: 911Registered Users
  • fluffywonderdoodlefluffywonderdoodle Posts: 316Registered Users
    ohh, yikes. i got a really bad burn like that last summer. i went camping and on the day we left the weather was gray and cloudy so we all forgot to bring sunscreen. the next day, it was sunny and beautiful! so we were out on the lake all day long and i didn't have ANY sunscreen - and i'm pretty fair skinned, although i don't burn as much as someone with fair skin usually does. anyway, when i woke up in the morning it hurt so bad to move and to wear clothes. i was red everywhere, and i had a ton of tiny blisters all over my shoulders! long story short: it was icky and painful.

i never went to the doctor, i didn't really see any need to but if you think it's best then you should go. unfortunately there isn't much that helps a sunburn to hurt less though. :( aloe vera gel helps a bit, and it's important to moisturize a lot because it'll help tone down the peeling and scarring. wear light breezy clothes, apply cool compresses (water or tea), and MOISTURIZE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file