Natural Cowash conditioners

jjnelliejjnellie Posts: 28Registered Users
I would highly appreciate recommendations for natural conditioners for cowashes. ThanX!
Janellie
http://public.fotki.com/jjnel228/
BC: August 20, 2008
Currently growing hair!

Fav Products:
Giovanni Direct Leave In
Jessicurl WDT
KBB Hair Milk

Comments

• pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Welcome!

We are still working on this one....most of the other ladies who are using the Terressentials aren't finding they need a rinse-out conditioner.

I am using MyHoneyChild HoneyLemon conditioner right now for co-washing. I am not sure how I feel about it. I don't love it. (I will be honest....I miss my OneC) I am thinking about checking out the Curls by Sisters Smith line or the Karen's Body Beautiful to see if they have anything that would work.

I know some people use the Aubrey Organics. I haven't done a lot of research on the ingredients.

One of the threads on the forum is about a recipe for a homemade rinse out conditioner. I am going to (hopefully) get the ingredients this weekend and try it out. It sounds easy to make.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • jjnelliejjnellie Posts: 28Registered Users
    thanx for the response
    i really want to start trying kbb once i do my BC in about 2 wks (!!!)
    so maybe ill get her conditioner
    i was thinking about Aubrey but i heard the condish was really thick for cowashes well at least the Hone suckle which sounds like the best kind of AO for my hair type
    Janellie
    http://public.fotki.com/jjnel228/
    BC: August 20, 2008
    Currently growing hair!

Fav Products:
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Jessicurl WDT
    KBB Hair Milk
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I use AO Condishes. Not as CO's though. I'm learning that my hair isn't fond of CO as it is. But they make great second condishes. There is a green tea cream rinse that is thinner that I have that may work....I may try that sometime. But the HR is definately too thick at least for my hair. I've tried it as a CO and got greaseball head.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    I was using aubrey HR, but it is really thick for cowashes. I'm going to try using it as a deep conditioner twice per week. Right now I'm using MHC Honeynutt, which is thinner and seems to be working well.

• imlaimla Posts: 163Registered Users
    Christophe Beverly Hills Purely Natural Clarifying Shampoo & Conditioner. These are found at CVS for $7.99. Samples are also available for $2.99.
    Hair Type: 4a/b dense, fine, coily hair. Natural 13 years.

Staples: Matrix Biolage Exquisite Oil S & C, aloe vera, almond oil mix, black soap shampoo and bentonite clay.
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Posts: 248Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've used Nature's Gate Hemp CO as a co-wash, and I've heard other people here like the NG Jojoba CO too. They're reasonably priced ($5-6 a bottle in Seattle) so you can use as much as you want/need to.
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)
    I've been using honeynutt as a cowash, and noticed there's coconut milk in it. Today I tried using plain old coconut milk as a cowash on my scalp (along w/ AO HR on the rest of my hair). It worked so well! I have hardly any halo frizz, and my hair is sooo soft. I also read that coconut milk helps hair growth & prevents greys, although I'm not sure how true that is. It's also really inexpensive, so hopefully it continues to work. I'm also wondering if there's something to put in it to help with cleansing, like lemon juice or an e.o.?

eta: it worked well, but leaves to much build-up to use every day imo. i'm going to add peppermint e.o. to coconut milk to use as a scalp deep treatment every so often.

• ParatyParaty Posts: 394Registered Users
    This is an interesting post, I would like to find more natural co-wash conditioners too. Right now I have the Suave Naturals Coconut that lot's of naturals have recommended, but it doesn't lather well. It is actually making a better moisturizing conditioner :) . I have also tried Trader Joe's Refresh, which people say makes their hair feel stripped (that's usually the sign of a good co-wash that will clean the scalp) but it lather's worse than the Suave. I then incidentally purchased a Nature's Gate conditioner from the Fruit Blend line as a regular conditioner (not for co-washes) and it started to lather once it touched my hair and left it feeling kind of slick. Because of this, I would second Nature's Gate as a co-wash. I have Aubrey Organics and I would never use it as a co-wash because it is very thick and it doesn't lather from what I remember.
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • Curly GurlyCurly Gurly Posts: 42Registered Users
    does anyone know any good shampoos and conditioners wit no sulfates or silicones light enough for everday cowashes??
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I really like Blended Beauty Cleansing Conditioner. I haven't been using it to cowash lately. I've been getting my hair really wet in the shower, then using this conditioner to detangle, let sit for a couple of minutes and then I've been using a sulfate-free poo just on my scalp about every 3rd day. Then I use another rinse-out conditioner, leave-in, styler, etc., etc. Been working great for me.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyFireHorseCurlyFireHorse Posts: 350Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    does anyone know any good shampoos and conditioners wit no sulfates or silicones light enough for everday cowashes??

I use a shampoo bar everyday without any problems.
    CurlyFireHorse
    Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
    Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
    Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
    Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
    Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
    Just tried AOHR diluted with aloe vera juice - until it's about the consistency as a thick [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]milkshake[/buylink]. Also added a couple drops of peppermint e.o. (one drop would have been enough.) Worked really well - my hair's clean & soft.

I have been using MHC honeynutt as a cowash, and leave-in, but it's getting expensive. The diluted AOHR is CHEAP - I hope it continues to work.

• starg2008starg2008 Posts: 219Registered Users
    orange wrote: »
    Just tried AOHR diluted with aloe vera juice - until it's about the consistency as a thick [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]milkshake[/buylink]. Also added a couple drops of peppermint e.o. (one drop would have been enough.) Worked really well - my hair's clean & soft.

I have been using MHC honeynutt as a cowash, and leave-in, but it's getting expensive. The diluted AOHR is CHEAP - I hope it continues to work.
    may i ask if the aohr smells strong, i have the gpb and it not a nasty smell,but it is way to strong. im using karen's deep moisturizing conditoner as my co wash. i love it but when my hair gets longer its going to hurt my pockets. i was thinking of getting the aohr to rotate.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    starg2008 wrote: »
    orange wrote: »

may i ask if the aohr smells strong, i have the gpb and it not a nasty smell,but it is way to strong. im using karen's deep moisturizing conditoner as my co wash. i love it but when my hair gets longer its going to hurt my pockets. i was thinking of getting the aohr to rotate.

I wouldn't call it strong, maybe medium? I don't think it smells great, but it's not horrible either. And the scent doesn't linger once I rinse it out.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • starg2008starg2008 Posts: 219Registered Users
    thanks curlyjen when i used the gpb i was in the bathroom,my daughter came out her room and asked her dad who was in the living room,what he put in his hair it was that strong. im going to try the aohr.
  • EstelleEstelle Posts: 89Registered Users
    I was about to start a thread on this. Fortunately I have seen this one.

I want to try the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Coconut-Sublime-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-880.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Coconut-Sublime-Moisturizing-Conditioner]Curls Coconut Sublime[/buylink] Moisturising conditioner. Can someone tell me if this is good for co-washes? I am open for any other suggestions regarding conditioners for co-wash. Thanks:)
  • JillH410JillH410 Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure if it's natural, but I'm pretty sure it's CG:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Honey-Almond-Conditioner/SBS-120364,default,pd.html

I got the gallon jug of this at Sally's for $8.99 and I just put some in a smaller squeeze bottle for the shower.
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    JillH410 wrote: »

I got the gallon jug of this at Sally's for $8.99 and I just put some in a smaller squeeze bottle for the shower.

Looks CG. Let us know how you like it, cause that's a great price! TIA
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • soapaholicsoapaholic Posts: 28Registered Users
    I haven't ordered this yet, got more soap instead :?

http://www.organic-creations.com/servlet/the-1437/all-natural-hair-conditioner/Detail

But the ingredients sound good.
    cowash Suave
    wash CV, Soap and Sundries bars
    Braggs vinegar rinse
    style Watered down FOTE
    DT Honey/olive oil, coconut oil, unrefined shea
  • JillH410JillH410 Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curlykey wrote: »
    JillH410 wrote: »

Looks CG. Let us know how you like it, cause that's a great price! TIA

I really like it! It's nice and thick, but not as thick as AOHR. I've used it as a rinse out and also as a co-wash and like it either way - though it does seem like I need to use more when I use it as a rinse out.

The smell is pretty good - IMO a lot better than the apple and cucumber varieties they had. HTH! :happy7:
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • lacunaCoilslacunaCoils Posts: 489Registered Users
    Today for a co-wash, I diluted some AOHR with AVG, water and added a few drops of castor oil for it's cleansing properties. Yay! It worked GREAT! My scalp feels clean and refreshed and my hair is soft, bouncy and happy!!!
    2b/2c Henndigo curls
    Currently using: Deva low-poo and OC, KCKT/KCCC, JCCC, & BRHG. + Curlease towel :)
    Also have had success with: CK, FSG, KBB, AOHR, Nature's Gate Conditioner.

pw: curlygirl

peacelove.jpg
  • aricurlaricurl Posts: 304Registered Users
    Trader Joe's Nourish Spa is a great natural co-wash. Good slip.
    http://public.fotki.com/aricurl/
    PW: twelve

My Routine.
    Weekly Cleansers: Co-Wash - Suave Coconut or Yes to Cucumbers and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. Giovanni 50-50 poo on scalp only.
    Moisturizers: Mix of Giovanni Direct with AO Honey Suckle; KCKT; Jamaican Castor Oil, water.
    Sealers: My whipped raw shea butter/oil blend.
    Scalp Oil: Jojoba, Rosemary, Horsetail, Burdock Root, Aloe Vera Gel
    Hairstyle: Protective.

Henndigo occasionally.
    Today for a co-wash, I diluted some AOHR with AVG, water and added a few drops of castor oil for it's cleansing properties. Yay! It worked GREAT! My scalp feels clean and refreshed and my hair is soft, bouncy and happy!!!

glad it worked! i didn't know castor oil had cleansing properties...maybe that's why i haven't had much build-up since starting to use mhc cognac & vanilla bean...(it has castor oil)...good to know

• curlsgirlbrazilcurlsgirlbrazil Posts: 234Registered Users
    bump
    :thumright::love1:
    3b/a

I like my microfiber towel and plopping

http://clubedoscachos.blogspot.com/
    No comb,blow-fried, sulfates,silicones detangle Only the [/SIZE]fingers!!
  • rdbrownrdbrown Posts: 19Registered Users
    Been using this as a cowash for about two months now. Really works well for me. Had to be online though.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    blended beauty conditioning shampoo is the BEST cowash conditioner I have ever tried. Has great slip!!
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    EO Rose Geranium & Sweet Orange conditioner is a good moisturizing, slippery co-wash.
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Posts: 1,458Registered Users
    Afroveda's Holy Basil Conditioner is amazing. It has a smooth consistency and gives slip like no other. You could also try Claudie's Hair Revitalizer Honeysuckle Cream Rinse. This is thick and you only need to use a little amount as it does spread nicely. HTH! :color:
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    I have been strugging with this issue myself. I'm not very happy with most of the alternatives that are out on the market. Many of the "organic" hair care formulas are still laden with nastiness like Tetrasodium EDTA. I'm still using Suave Naturals (and yes it has TSEDTA in it) but I'm actively looking for an inexpensive substitute.
  • CurlyCaseyCurlyCasey Posts: 224Registered Users
    I've had amazing luck with Beauty Without Cruelty conditioners. I started out a few months ago using the Rosemary Mint Tea Tree and switched to the Lavender a few weeks ago. I was curious to see if the cleansing action I was getting was a result of the mint or tea tree, but it wasn't! The lavender works just as well and smells nicer to me than the other one.

I use about a tablespoon (I have short hair) to scrub my scalp thoroughly. I leave it on for a minute or two while I shave, then I rinse it out. I scrunch in some Trader Joe's Aloe Vera Gel after the shower and just air-dry. I don't use any other products, so I'm not sure if the BWC would clean as well for someone who does. I use the BWC every one or two days, and I water-wash on the days in between. I use the aloe every day.

My hair is soft every day and looks very healthy, even thought I've colored it a few times. I get a tiny bit of frizz when it's humid, but it really isn't that bad and I've stopped caring about it so much. I even flatironed my hair today, for the first time in months, and it isn't greasy at all! I'm really happy with this conditioner and won't be switching. If I feel like my hair is dry, I'll use a tiny bit of AOHR as a rinse-out.

Another good thing about the BWC conditioners is that you can thin them out by adding water periodically, making them last a very long time. I'm in love, seriously.

Here are the ingredients of the lavender conditioner, straight off the bottle:

Aqua infusion of organic rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary), lavandula angustifolia (lavender), and anthemis nobilis (roman chamomile), organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice (aloe vera), cetearyl alcohol, ceteareth-twenty, glycerin (vegetable), stearic acid, panthenol (vitamin B factor), soy protein, organic lavandula vera essential oil (highland lavender), organic lavandula hybrida essential oil (sweet lavender), inositol (vitamin B factor), ethylhexylglycerin, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, and ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

It's organic, vegetarian, and cruelty-free. It says on the bottle that it's "pH balanced" and is paraben free. I bought it at work, so I got 25% off. I think we sell it for $9.99 dollars. Other places might have it cheaper, since I work at a small business and our prices are a bit higher than competitors' prices. And, like I said, it lasts for a while.
    3a/3b mix of ringlets and spiral curls
    BWC Rosemary Mint Tea Tree Conditioner,
    Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner,
    ***Aloe Vera Gel***
    Simplicity is best, at least for my hair. I co-wash every two days or so with the BWC and use the AOHR as a rinse-out when I need moisture. On other days, I just water wash, and I use AV gel every day to style. I air-dry and don't brush or comb my hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file