Speak of scrunching to me

I still don't understand how scrunching will encourage curls.

The same lady who tells me I'd look darling with short hair scrunched into ringlets is now asking me if I am scrunching my hair everyday because my hair is looking beautiful and curlier than she's ever seen.

I've tried scrunching before and it just makes my curls yucky looking and all broken up.

Comments

• Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    I do not know at what point in the routine you are talking about scrunching. If you mean to scrunch the crunch out, then the products can be more of a factor of what happens when I do that.

I'm not sure how to answer the main question. It seems intuitive to me, and works as I would expect it to. Scrunching wet hair encourages curl since it goes in the direction of the curl, upwards. Combing or pulling discourages it by pulling it downwards.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I've tried scrunching right after I add product to very wet hair.

I find my hair clumps better when I finger detangle while rinsing out conditioner, I add product to my hair kinda like I work shampoo or conditioner through it, I tipped my head upside down and just shake really good. The curls go which ever way they want to.
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Speckla wrote: »
    I've tried scrunching right after I add product to very wet hair.

I find my hair clumps better when I finger detangle while rinsing out conditioner, I add product to my hair kinda like I work shampoo or conditioner through it, I tipped my head upside down and just shake really good. The curls go which ever way they want to.

I do that too, sort of. I shake my hair after brushing, except I do it right side up.

I tried scrunching while wet and that failed. I tried scrunching in product while dry and it didn't help much. My hair ends up in a weird shag if I shake it, and though it isn't a pretty, styled, "done" look, it looks decent on me.
  • KitaraKitara Posts: 1,224Registered Users
    That's because you actually HAVE curls. If I don't scrunch at all then I have these lifeless wave things because my hair is too heavy when it's wet to curl into the wave pattern that it wants. Then when it dries it's been trying too hard to shrink that it just looks a mess.
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    Kitara wrote: »
    That's because you actually HAVE curls. If I don't scrunch at all then I have these lifeless wave things because my hair is too heavy when it's wet to curl into the wave pattern that it wants. Then when it dries it's been trying too hard to shrink that it just looks a mess.

This is me too. I have to scrunch in products like mysteryflavored does in her [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] video, or I get stringlets and frizz--not a nice look. I have heard that scrunching can disturb your natural curl pattern, so maybe that is what is happening to you? Unfortunately, my natural curl pattern is too timid to come out without being a bit disturbed.;)
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users

This is me too. I have to scrunch in products like mysteryflavored does in her [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] video, or I get stringlets and frizz--not a nice look. I have heard that scrunching can disturb your natural curl pattern, so maybe that is what is happening to you? Unfortunately, my natural curl pattern is too timid to come out without being a bit disturbed.;)

I don't have to scrunch much because I'm disturbed enough already...:evil1: And I have tight 3b/c curls. I'm always trying to loosen my curl!
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I think us looser curl types need to scrunch products into wet hair to get the curls going because they are so lazy! - I would guess it isn't necessary for the ones with tighter, more energetic curls.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlywurly271curlywurly271 Posts: 286Registered Users
    When I first tried going culy I hadn't even heard of scrunching so I just combed my hair after washing it and air dried. It came out wavy with one or two ringlets in the front. My curls need a bit of encouraging to come out I think :)
    UK curly :occasion8:

event.png
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    My curls like to be scrunched too! I seem to have quite tight curls but if I comb or rake styling products in it loses it curl and becomes a bit of a rats nest! Odd.
    msgiblet wrote: »
    I think us looser curl types need to scrunch products into wet hair to get the curls going because they are so lazy! - I would guess it isn't necessary for the ones with tighter, more energetic curls.
    That's it Msgiblet! I have "energetic" curls!":blob7:
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Scrunching encourages curling in other wise wavy hair? I thought it was for defining the curl and discouraging frizzies. Now I know why this lady keeps asking if I scrunch my hair. My top is 3bish and the underneath and sides are more 3cish.
  • baikabaika Posts: 117Registered Users
    I scrunched my hair while applying products long before I knew it was called "scrunching." It's very intuitive for me.

If I pull my wet hair down (by combing etc) it will more or less stay there, and it won't bounce up very much when it's dry (so I'll be left with a wavy mess). You may be right that scrunching is much more important for us 3a's than for other hair types.
    I tried it yesterday with no scrunching just to see what it would do. My hair was nearly straight with no clumping at all and dry it was just a undefined frizzy mess. :laughing7:
    I tried it yesterday with no scrunching just to see what it would do. My hair was nearly straight with no clumping at all and dry it was just a undefined frizzy mess. :laughing7:

You are totally adorable and it is impossible for you to look bad. You make bad look good!
    Will you marry me? :love5:
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Speckla wrote: »
    Scrunching encourages curling in other wise wavy hair? I thought it was for defining the curl and discouraging frizzies. Now I know why this lady keeps asking if I scrunch my hair. My top is 3bish and the underneath and sides are more 3cish.

Oh yeah, if I didn't scrunch, I'd have very loose waves. I don't know about discouraging frizzies -- I was scrunching my hair a lot after putting in product with my Curlease towel and was getting frizzies. I quit doing that and just scrunch in my products really well into very wet hair with my hands and just use my Curlease to plop -- no more frizzies.

ETA: I do have to add that I was scrunching while diffusing. Now that I have finally gotten the pixiecurl diffusing method down and I'm not touching my hair while drying, I'm not sure I can continue to blame the frizzies on scrunching with my Curlease. Will have to try it again and see what happens.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Based on this thread, I think I will stop scrunching. I want looser, longer curls. According to you guys, scrunching=tighter curls. Wow, gotta go. I need to shower! :salute:

I will keep ya posted on my results!
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

• CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    My hair's got loads of curling potential, it just doesn't apply itself. I scrunch to get it started, and my hair does the rest. Plus, that squishy sound? So much fun.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure that the scrunching thing helps me get tighter curls. I have wavy hair; there's no root curl at all, but it starts going into S-curls after my ears. Scrunching turns that curl into a frizzy, broken mess. Raking and shaking gives me a hint of volume near my roots and coats my hair at the bottom so the frizz is minimized.

I wonder why my hair never follows any of the rules here...?
  • SoaringSirenSoaringSiren Posts: 765Registered Users
    I scrunch in my products and my hair turns out fine. I try to disrupt my clumps as little as possible though when I do it. No running my fingers through my hair, just flip it upside down then side to side, cupping my hair from the bottom and just scrunching it up to the scalp.

I like the almost wild look the scrunching gives me. :)
    3a locks!
    Daily Products!: Suave Naturals Coconut, Jessicurl WDT, MOP-C, Biotera Curl Creme, & LA Looks Sports Gel!
    ^^^Proof that you can be CG without spending tons of money! =) ^^^

CG since April 5th, 2008!

http://public.fotki.com/SoaringSIren/
    pw: lotsofcurls
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Boy, it really depends on the gel (and the weather, and the position of the stars, and what kind of mischief Britney Spears has gotten into).
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    I am loving scrunching out the crunch! One of the best tips I have got from here. Prior to that scrunching I have stringlets and the scrunching gives me bigger, bouncy, more clumpy curls. Plus I like not feeling the product in my hair!

I have 2c/3a hair and use Mop C creme.
    Tried NOT scrunching yesterday. No great results. I actually combed it with a fine tooth comb to clump it, but nothing really changes the curl I guess. :sad1:

Okay, just a little hair-depressed this morning. Wishing it would grow faster but struggling with the "big hair" stage of the growing out dance.

Patience, patience...:binky:
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG