Shea, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways....

rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
AKA How many shea butters does one person need????

I have the following now.

1. Unrefined W. African shea from WF's
2. A shea butter that has organic oils of lavendar, bergamot, and rosemary as well as crushed organic rosemary leaves and vit. e made for hair
3. Whipped shea from CV

As well as a bunch of shea based products.

Here's what I'm GETTING....

4. FFMC (AKA....shea butter) from Terresentials
5. A scented whipped shea sample from CV
6. E. african shea butter from ebay

Think I got enough now????:money:
Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Low poo: looking
COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
RO: varies
Protein: CJCF or CJRM
DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
LI: varies, usually KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Okay, a couple of questions for you. You obviously know a lot more about the subtle variations with shea butter than I do.

1. What is the difference between West and East African shea butter?

2. What are your thoughts on the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Greenridge-Herbals-p-1-c-19.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=greenridge-herbals-jojoba-shea-hair-butter]Greenridge Herbals Jojoba Shea Hair Butter[/buylink] for sale in CurlMart?

Thanks! :flower:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    misspam wrote: »
    Okay, a couple of questions for you. You obviously know a lot more about the subtle variations with shea butter than I do.

1. What is the difference between West and East African shea butter?

2. What are your thoughts on the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Greenridge-Herbals-p-1-c-19.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=greenridge-herbals-jojoba-shea-hair-butter]Greenridge Herbals Jojoba Shea Hair Butter[/buylink] for sale in CurlMart?

Thanks! :flower:

Let me see if I can answer your questions.

1. There are supposed to be subtle variances. The scent of East african is supposed to be lighter. It's supposed to be softer. Things like that. I don't have east yet, but once I do I'll compare them for you.

2. That actually looks interesting! My hair likes jojoba oil too, so that may work for me. I've never tried it though, so can't give you an actual opinion on the product itself, but my PJ says keep it in mind for later.....:p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Rymorg2, I don't know how I feel about shea butter. I know I've successfully used products that include it. And while I'm not as sensitive as you are to things, I have allergies to several products--including the SheaM LI. I can't help but being curious about you product that you've described in a few threads, "A shea butter that has organic oils of lavendar, bergamot, and rosemary as well as crushed organic rosemary leaves and vit. e made for hair." What exactly is this and where do you get it?
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    Rymorg2, I don't know how I feel about shea butter. I know I've successfully used products that include it. And while I'm not as sensitive as you are to things, I have allergies to several products--including the SheaM LI. I can't help but being curious about you product that you've described in a few threads, "A shea butter that has organic oils of lavendar, bergamot, and rosemary as well as crushed organic rosemary leaves and vit. e made for hair." What exactly is this and where do you get it?

I get it at sheabutter.net. It's just shea butter with those things added. You can check out the site if you want to see exactly what's in it.

I love it, it was my first shea purchase.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    I get it at sheabutter.net. It's just shea butter with those things added. You can check out the site if you want to see exactly what's in it.

I love it, it was my first shea purchase.

Thanks, they look interesting--especially the cocoa butter one.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    I LOVE shea butter!! SheaM was my first HG.

I have also been eyeing that Greenridge hair butter! I hope someone has it and can tell us all about it.

I would love something a bit lighter than the pure shea butter. Something between the firm whipped shea butter from CV and a milk.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
    kathymack wrote: »
    Thanks, they look interesting--especially the cocoa butter one.

I've considered that one too.....:D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I LOVE shea butter!! SheaM was my first HG.

I have also been eyeing that Greenridge hair butter! I hope someone has it and can tell us all about it.

I would love something a bit lighter than the pure shea butter. Something between the firm whipped shea butter from CV and a milk.

SheaM smelled too strong for me. Believe it or not! I got a 2 oz jar sample size from sistazplace and couldn't stand it after the first use! LOL!

Not sure where to find a product like you're looking for though. I do have an Alaffia leave in conditioner that's shea based that's pretty thin. But it's got a few ingredients in it that I question.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eveningevening Posts: 12Registered Users
    How are you using all these shea butters?
    Fia (I think): 2b-3a ii
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was inspired by this thread to try some sheabutter on my hair. I haven't washed since Monday, so I brushed my dry hair out in sections. Then rubbed a little Cheryl's Herbs Marshmallow emollient on the ends, and then emulsified a smidge of sheabutter in my palms, rubbed that in, then brushed. OMG, the shine! And my ends curled up over the brush. This was my pre-poo.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    evening wrote: »
    How are you using all these shea butters?

All kinds of ways. I use them in my hair as stylers, as conditioners, on my eyes as eye cream (and it works better than any commercial eye cream I've tried) and even mix it with my mineral makeup as a cream concealer. I use it all over my body as a moisturizer too. But my hair in particular loves it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was inspired by this thread to try some sheabutter on my hair. I haven't washed since Monday, so I brushed my dry hair out in sections. Then rubbed a little Cheryl's Herbs Marshmallow emollient on the ends, and then emulsified a smidge of sheabutter in my palms, rubbed that in, then brushed. OMG, the shine! And my ends curled up over the brush. This was my pre-poo.

That's one thing I love about it, the shine I get. Glad you liked it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Posts: 313Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just wanted to say thanks for this thread as it made me rediscover some shea butter I ordered six months ago from Curlmart called Sheaterra Organics (in the madagascar vanilla scent). It it is a soft solid that instantly melts on skin when emulsing it between palms. It is naturally refined also. I wasn't having any success with it as a leave-in (which was the only way I tried it at the time), as it weighed down my hair and had a weird stiff feeling, and so it moved to the back of the product line up.

Recently, I gave it another try on dry, second day/pretty frizzy hair, and it restored shine, bounce and definition to my curls, caused it to re-clumpify (hehe) and didn't cause additional frizz. Yippy skippy! I am now inspired to continue playing with it in my hair in other ways. :albino:It is a multi-tasking product-It is great as a lip balm, cuticle butter, and is nice on rough skin like feet. Has anyone else tried this brand?

I am wondering if I would like whipped shea butter better in hair because it sounds like it is lighter in texture. Is there a brand that anyone would recommend in whipped or cream versions? Rymorg- could you please let us know what you think of the Chagrin Valley scented whipped shea?

ETA:Is the fact that my shea butter is refined make it less beneficial than unrefined?
    2c?/low-med porosity/medium texture
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:
    Co-wash: As I Am or Nubian Heritage Indian hemp and Tamanu
    Low-Po: Acure Argan Oil and Pumpkin Mega Moisture
    Condish: Acure "
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue sculpting gel, Dermorganics spray gel as finisher, SOTC w/ Curls passion fruit control paste
    Refresh w/: Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus hold and shine mist and jojoba oil
    DT:  A variety of Shea Moisture 

http://public.fotki.com/orange32
    pw=ringlet
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Posts: 248Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    HAIR: SHEA BUTTER! Nomnomnomnomnom....

I don't have any plain shea butter, but AOHR (my HG conditioner) does. Very high on the list of ingredients.
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)
    I am wondering if I would like whipped shea butter better in hair because it sounds like it is lighter in texture. Is there a brand that anyone would recommend in whipped or cream versions? Rymorg- could you please let us know what you think of the Chagrin Valley scented whipped shea?

ETA:Is the fact that my shea butter is refined make it less beneficial than unrefined?

Yes, whipped is lighter in texture. They have to add some oils to it to whip it usually. I love the CV lemon almond scented one! It has lemon and bitter almond eo's in it.

And yes, refined has less of the benefits of unrefined, especially if it's chemically refined shea butter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZoyiaZoyia Posts: 167Registered Users

How did you like the Cheryl's herbs Marshmallow emolient? Does it work better on dry or wet hair? I used their shampoo for months now and I really like them.
    I think they have the emollient spray too, have you tried it as well?
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Posts: 313Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rymorg2 wrote: »

Yes, whipped is lighter in texture. They have to add some oils to it to whip it usually. I love the CV lemon almond scented one! It has lemon and bitter almond eo's in it.

And yes, refined has less of the benefits of unrefined, especially if it's chemically refined shea butter.

I received my Chagrin scented whipped sheabutter and of course had to use it straight away. I applied it to dry hair (scrunched in), concentrating on ends to moisturize and add oomph to third day hair. I had mixed results.

Did anyone else find this to weigh hair down, and be too oily and heavy for their hair? On the next day the oily look seemed to dissipate and left my hair very soft, however. Could I get some suggestions on how to use this in wet or dry hair? :dontknow: How much are people using? I prob used a pea size amount for my arm pit length medium thick hair.

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying it as a leave-in next but am afraid it will make me look like a grease ball. I am surprised by the results, as my hair usually loves oil based products.

Thanx!:wink:
    2c?/low-med porosity/medium texture
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:
    Co-wash: As I Am or Nubian Heritage Indian hemp and Tamanu
    Low-Po: Acure Argan Oil and Pumpkin Mega Moisture
    Condish: Acure "
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue sculpting gel, Dermorganics spray gel as finisher, SOTC w/ Curls passion fruit control paste
    Refresh w/: Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus hold and shine mist and jojoba oil
    DT:  A variety of Shea Moisture 

http://public.fotki.com/orange32
    pw=ringlet
  • MeroluniMeroluni Posts: 8Registered Users
    I have never heard of using shea in hair. Is it as a conditioner?
  • gboardwritesgboardwrites Posts: 114Registered Users
    Shea is also an incredible skin firmer. It does not clog pores, it does the opposite. There's actually an entire blog devoted to 100% shea.
    I now use it as body lotion, cellulite treatment (lemmetellya!), hot oil treatment, body scrub (mixed with natural sugar) and hair sealant.
    IT'S INCREDIBLE! The one thing I notice is that if I try to use it as a leave in conditioner it weighs down my hair. I guess it's because of my hair type.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]For my pics you can go to:
    http://gboardwrites.blogspot.com/
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    how do you use it as a hair sealant? I've been doing this on dry hair with okay results.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file