Breakfast Club Blasphemy!

CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I just truly watched this ad from JC Penney. I've heard the music on, but hadn't actually watched.
As a product of the 80s, I'm insulted. :tongue10:

These impostors don't hold a candle to my Brat Pack!
That's all.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Comments

• EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I saw that yesterday & thought WTH. is that?! :sad3:
  • BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I saw that too. :laughing7: I love that movie.

One thing I've noticed is that commercials always have music that's either re-makes or originals from the 70's or 80's. I figure the people who are the movers and shakers in advertising companies are probably that age- 30's and 40's.

So they use music from their generation. In 20 years, it'll be "Bye Bye Bye" and P.Diddy songs in Mazda commercials.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Do you get the point of the commerical? Because I do not, at all.

I was talking about it last night, all wondering if there was some remake of the BC in the works? But apparently not. So why am I seeing these commercials? What's the point?

Someone said the ads are supposed to appeal to parents, who will take their kids to JCP for school supplies. Like ha. Since when do the PARENTS decide what clothing is de rigeur for school? And I might not be a parent, but I'm That Age and the commercial doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. It's like you said: who are these imposters?

Does BC have some retro appeal to the younguns? What's going on?
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Why just why. I don't see that appealing to anyone. And if you didn't see the movie then you'd be clueless about that commercial. And I hate that version of the song. That song is just perfect the way it was. And on that note, I hate the new version of the lost boys theme song.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    :shock: I'm more freaked out by the fact that I am old enough for my generation's music and movies to be used in commercials. I can't possibly be that old.

On a related note, Judd Nelson. Mmmmmm. :love10:
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • sonnysonny Posts: 467Registered Users
    I just truly watched this ad from JC Penney. I've heard the music on, but hadn't actually watched.
    As a product of the 80s, I'm insulted. :tongue10:

That's all.

Thought the same thing, I hate that commercial! Can't they dance to Miley Cyrus or something!
    We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people. ~.Martin Luther King Jr
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I think they did it like that to appeal to the parents who were teens when the movie came out. Nostalgia is a powerful tool. It got people's attention.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I saw it last week at the movie theater for the first time. I told my daughter, "That's a total ripoff of my favorite movie." She was like.. "What movie?"

Ah... guess I am old.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    I was probably more outraged than necessary when I saw that commercial the first time. It's funny because whenever I see something resurrected or blatantly ripped off from my childhood, it makes me more inclined to not purchase it.

Except for the 20th anniversary Rainbow Brite doll that was released about five years ago. I bought her because she looked just like the doll I had when I was little.
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I think it's also because 80's retro is in. It implies the cool kids are going to be into the stuff already and know about it. It's also back to school time.

On an aside I truly hate this commercial and it was on like 10 times during one show the other night! The girl pouring pixie sticks over her sandwich....so not the same thing. It was just random moments that made no sense. Craptasticness.
  • Riot CrrlRiot Crrl Posts: 3,135Registered Users
    They weren't dressed anything like the people in the movie, lol. Yes, Ally Sheedy's character wearing a fushia polo dress, that would have happened. :?

On the song remake I thought that the vocals sucked but the guitar riff was kinda catchy.
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, so lame.

< member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    KookyCurl wrote: »
    I think it's also because 80's retro is in. It implies the cool kids are going to be into the stuff already and know about it. It's also back to school time.

On an aside I truly hate this commercial and it was on like 10 times during one show the other night! The girl pouring pixie sticks over her sandwich....so not the same thing. It was just random moments that made no sense. Craptasticness.
    Yes, and what's with all those kids milling around?
    Was that a sandwich or waffles?
    You'd think they'd at least have the kid toss bologny onto the statue. Then again, probably not. Wouldn't want to encourage that type of behavior, I guess.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
    Also, for younger curlies who may have only seen the censored version of this movie on cable TV (or older curlies who've only seen that version in years) I would like to add a reminder that the dance party scene in the movie was precipitated by them all getting completely stoned out of their gourds. [Insert joke about having to be high to appreciate the clothing being advertised]
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    I was born in '89 but I still really like this movie and have been trying to find it for my friend to watch because it's such a fun film. When we went to see "The Dark Knight" (amazing), this commercial was in with the trailers and I was like "what the --?! what do they think they're doing??" I was relieved to see at the end that it was only a commercial and not the trailer for the world's worst re-make. I then tried to tell my friend that they were doing a really bad job of ripping off "The Breakfast Club" but of course she didn't get it. Meh. I don't get how they're supposed to sell clothes using that movie - why not use "Clueless" or something that is known for its fashion?
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
    Riot Crrl wrote: »
    Also, for younger curlies who may have only seen the censored version of this movie on cable TV (or older curlies who've only seen that version in years) I would like to add a reminder that the dance party scene in the movie was precipitated by them all getting completely stoned out of their gourds. [Insert joke about having to be high to appreciate the clothing being advertised]

Really? I've only seen the tv version. I was too young to watch or appreciate it when it first came out.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    KookyCurl wrote: »

Yes, and what's with all those kids milling around?
    Was that a sandwich or waffles?
    You'd think they'd at least have the kid toss bologny onto the statue. Then again, probably not. Wouldn't want to encourage that type of behavior, I guess.
    :lol:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Riot Crrl wrote: »

Bwahahahaha! That's hilarious, "When your kids are high like kites, we'll keep them in our store if you'll buy a little something."

And I've actually never seen the un-censored version either, so thank you for that information. Now at least there's a plot reason for them all to just randomly bond through dance, lol.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
    Yes, the moral of the story is that weed brings people together.

Also the whole plotline of them running through the halls is to get the bag of weed from Judd Nelson's locker, so it doesn't make sense in the censored version.
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I kinda like it :oops:
    2b/3a.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I saw that ad last night--it's so very wrong.
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    :shock:

The whole time I watched that, I was screaming the following in my head:

" :shock: NO! :cussing: What do you people think you're doing??!!! :cussing: GO TO HELL!!!! :cussing: ALL OF YOU... just GO.TO.HELL!"

:spiderman:
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's all.

f'real.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to watch this movie a lot...and yes, the original version before TBS or TNT butchered it to all [email protected]!
    That commercial was nauseating. ANd yes, blasphemous. [email protected] them all, to [email protected] you go!!!!
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ha!
    That's exactly what I said when I saw it!
    Blasphemy!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
    It makes me feel good that my near-violent :cussing: aversion to this commercial is seemingly normal based on everyone else's responses...:spiderman:

:lol: glad I'm not alone..
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Shoot, my son recently turned 20 & knows this movie & thinks the commercial is for 5h1t. :lol:
    Hey, I was just shopped at JC Penny's this past Sunday. I bought so much that the manager helped me carry it to my car. :money: I didn't see the commerical though. I won't say too much bad about Penny's because I hit the 75% off + 30% additional off when you spend a certain amount. My son and husband have totally new wardrobes and I saved over $1200.
    I actually like shopping there too. That is where I buy my Levis 501s. Hard to screw up Levis 501s.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Yuck, that commercial was utterly craptastic!!!

And I lurve the Breakfast Club, but I hope I'm not considered old enough to be the parent of teenagers.
    ehLB.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file