HDTV, how do I find out what stations already ...

internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
have made the switch over? I know some shows are already broadcast in HDTV, so would that mean I would just be able to watch only those specific shows if I had a converter box?

We have been regular TV free for quite some time(only watching DVDs, and I would watch Lost online), but I have been thinking about getting a converter box. We already got our government coupon, but I really don't know much about HDTV. Anyone have any good links to share so I can learn more about it? I have been missing watching PBS, so I am considering making us a regular TV household again.

Comments

• HoneycurlsHoneycurls Posts: 1,889Registered Users
    By HD, do you mean digital signal? I don't believe it's the same thing. HD usually refers to high definition.

I'm guessing you mean the switch from analog to digital signals by 2009? If you are talking about your local stations, you could probably check their websites or just call their main number.
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I just got an hdtv and use a regular antenna. I'm guessing if you get the converter it will work like mine, though I'm not 100% sure.

Every station here now broadcasts in digital. When I had my tv scan for stations, it found digital for every analog station (except the shopping one). It also found more than one for some. For example, I now get 4 types of PBS-regular, PBS kids, PBS in Spanish and a crafty/creative PBS. The picture is also far clearer. Being in digital means far less noise!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Yes Honeycurls, I meant the switch over to digital.
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you are confusing HD and digital. The FCC is switching all transmissions from analog to digital, so if you have an older analog tv (and you don't have cable) you need to buy the converter box to convert the new digital signal to be able to watch anything starting Feb 09 because your old analog tv won't be able to read the digital signal on its own. If you have cable, your cable box translates the signal for you and you won't need a converter.

If you want high def you have to buy an HDTV, you can't convert a non HDTV to HD. And then only channels broadcast in HD will be in high def.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file