South Beach Diet -Vegetarian

ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Has anybody done this? My doctor suggested I consider it when I complained to her about having a fat mid-section.

TIA

Comments

• hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I have not done it vegetarian, on their website, there used to be a chart that explained how to do it. I'm sorry I"m not much more help than that...but I know that being vegetarian can encompass a lot of different factors...
    like do you eat eggs or do you eat dairy...etc. I personally don't eat red meat or pork, so when I did it, I got SO sick of chicken and turkey... maybe we can swap ideas for other protein sources.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    I'm not a vegetarian and I follow this diet, mostly the phase 2 foods. I have often wondered how a vegetarian would follow it because it's very meat/dairy/eggs/ protein heavy.

I'm not sure if meat substitutes would mesh with this diet so I'm going to be curious about the answers you'll get. I don't think a vegan could handle this diet as you have to be open to eating eggs and dairy.

But the real pivotal point of the SBD is lowering the amount of sugar intake. Anyone can be conscious of that philosophy -- vegetarian, vegan, or carnivore!
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I'm not a vegetarian and I follow this diet, mostly the phase 2 foods. I have often wondered how a vegetarian would follow it because it's very meat/dairy/eggs/ protein heavy.

What do you eat for breakfast? Do you eat the same things or do you change it up a bit?
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    Read the book, read the latest book. You CAN join South Beach Diet online, but it is $5/week. There are also several SBD groups on yahoo that are great.

I'm going to finish the book this weekend, make out my shopping list and start next week.

I have a goal of end of Jan to lose 25 lbs...more if possible. That's when my oldest son will be home on leave for the first time in a year, so that'll be fun. My younger sister emailed me today and told me to check on ticket prices to Houston the first week in December for mom's bd so...

Won't be doing the vegetarian though...I'm a carnivore :D
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yes, I've done SBD as a vegetarian. This was years ago and I did well (didn't really have much to lose).

I ate a lot of quorn, boca burgers, and other meat substitutes paired with veggies. It's quite easy at home, but very difficult eating out. Ooh, one of my faves was a portobello cap used as a pizza crust, then sauce, and reduced fat cheese. At the time I was also living alone, so I would make a big pot of sugar free tomato sauce, then jar it. I sometimes used that sauce and made mini lasagnas with all fat free/low fat ingredients and whole wheat pasta noodles. You can freeze the little disposable loaf tins, and you have a ready made meal.

Breakfast was usually an egg-white omelet with loads of broccoli.

Lunch was usually a salad

Dinner was often something I had premade or something using meat substitute.

Snacks:
    I ate the cheese crisps (you just make small piles of lowfat/fat free cheese on a plate and microwave until crisp).
    Roasted chickpeas with cajun seasoning (I found the trick to making them crispy is to take the chickpeas, rinse, dry, then spray with pam and season liberally. Bake at 375 for 20 mins, let cool completely, then bake again at 400 for about 10 mins.
    Cucumber spears with hummus

GOOD LUCK!
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    Munchy wrote: »
    Yes, I've done SBD as a vegetarian. This was years ago and I did well (didn't really have much to lose).

I ate a lot of quorn, boca burgers, and other meat substitutes paired with veggies. It's quite easy at home, but very difficult eating out. Ooh, one of my faves was a portobello cap used as a pizza crust, then sauce, and reduced fat cheese. At the time I was also living alone, so I would make a big pot of sugar free tomato sauce, then jar it. I sometimes used that sauce and made mini lasagnas with all fat free/low fat ingredients and whole wheat pasta noodles. You can freeze the little disposable loaf tins, and you have a ready made meal.

Breakfast was usually an egg-white omelet with loads of broccoli.

Lunch was usually a salad

Dinner was often something I had premade or something using meat substitute.

Snacks:
    I ate the cheese crisps (you just make small piles of lowfat/fat free cheese on a plate and microwave until crisp).
    Roasted chickpeas with cajun seasoning (I found the trick to making them crispy is to take the chickpeas, rinse, dry, then spray with pam and season liberally. Bake at 375 for 20 mins, let cool completely, then bake again at 400 for about 10 mins.
    Cucumber spears with hummus

GOOD LUCK!

How do you get the cheese off of the plate? I love cheese like this...
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    If the cheese is reduced fat, it usually peels off because some of the oils come out. If it's fat free, it doesn't really melt anyway, but you have to spray a bit of cooking spray on the bottom. I can't remember if I used to let it cool, then take it off, or take it off before it hardened. One way is much easier than the other!
  • a.l.i.c.e.a.l.i.c.e. Posts: 673Registered Users
    Sorry for the cheese-crisp guano, but another good way to make them is in the oven using a sil-pat. Everything just peels right off of those, even parmesan crisps!
    botticelli-ish bob.

Current Routine:
    -Suave Aloe & Waterlily cowash/leave-in
    -Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    -FOTE aloe vera gel
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Funny that I saw this because I'm about to go on Phase 1 of the SB diet on Monday and I'm a vegetarian. I just crossed off all the meat and will eat everything else I'm allowed to eat.

One thing I didn't see in the book, oversight maybe? Can I eat onion or tomato during Phase 1?
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SB is pretty flexible, especially phase 2. You could most definitely do it as a vegetarion, as Munchy has expounded upon.

I made some of those last night--YUM!

I believe the most up-to-date version South Beach allows tomatoes and onions in phase 1, although the quantity might be limited. There are a few really good message boards out there that talk about South beach -- one of them is at www.lowcarbfriends.com.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone. I did find a vegetarian take on SBD; I googled "south beach diet vegetarian" and there it was.

I'm going to try a modified version for a few weeks and see how I do. I love bread and fruit, so I'm not sure how well I'll do. I hope it goes well for you, Midgi.
  • Dancing QueenDancing Queen Posts: 247Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I love bread and fruit, so I'm not sure how well I'll do.

To throw a little encouragement your way:

The first two weeks of reduced carbs and fruit were really challenging for me EMOTIONALLY; apparently I had been turning to them for feel-good eating when I was hungry, and there was a real emotional tie that needed to be broken.

After the two-week mark, that part seems to have passed.

(Not doing SBD, but I'm vegan and my doctor recently recommended higher protein/lower carb to help me lose weight.)

We can do it, curlies!!!!! :blob7:
    Psalm 30:11 "You have turned my mourning into dancing."

''Hey, nerds! Who's got two thumbs, speaks limited French, and hasn't cried once today? This moi.'' - Liz Lemon, 30 Rock
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I did the first two weeks (Phase I) awesome, lost around 10 pounds and it totally flattened my belly. Phase II has been harder, as I seem to add in some Phase III stuff too. I am trying REALLY hard not to get back into old habits, but it's really hard.

Its working for me right now because I can't seem to find the time nor the energy to exercise. I know that if I added some, the weight loss would increase/continue, but it's really tough right now in the evenings after work.

Someone mentioned some SBD groups on Yahoo...how do I find these?

I did register for the SBD online, and paid the $5 a week, but I am not using it all that much; it's just another site/message board for me to visit and I all ready have my favorites and regulars. Adding another one doesn't seem to work.

I wonder if we should start a thread here in the Diet Forum, since it seems some of us are doing/starting this up again. Hmm.
    :rambo:
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    What do you eat for breakfast? Do you eat the same things or do you change it up a bit?

Medussa, The first time I did this diet I followed Phase 1 and went for bacon and eggs. But Phase 1 of this diet tends to, well, plug one up. There is a separate thread about this very issue somewhere.

So this time around I do change it up with Phase II foods. I usually have oatmeal (not instant) or some other high fiber cereal, with berries for breakfast. I'll still have the bacon and eggs on occasion or sometimes I'll save that combo for lunch.

Midgi, I do see tomatoes listed in the book as "Foods to Enjoy" on Phase I. Although onion is not listed I think it's fine; it's not a sweet food.

I first did Phase 1 of this diet last year and lost 6 lbs easily in two weeks. Because I couldn't exercise very much and strayed from the diet for several months I gained it back. I started up again at the end of May but added in Phase II foods. I'm down 10 lbs. I don't eat sugary fruits and I've almost lost all my taste for things like candy and very sweet cakes. I don't mind using Spenda as a sweetener when necessary.

I do crave crunchy foods from time-to-time so Munchy--I'll have to try your chickpea recipe!

For those you trying this diet I highly recommend the cauliflower "mashed potatoes" and the ricotta cheese dessert recipes that are found in the book.

Good luck SBD newbies!
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file