So I detangled last night...

hautecocoahautecocoa Posts: 258Registered Users
...for over an hour!!! And my hair was beyond tangled. I hadn't detangled with a comb in over a month...I don't know why I thought I could just finger comb and I would be okay :sad8: I was fingercombing every morning when I cowashed and my hair felt fine. But the last couple of days I noticed tangles and knots at my roots. I felt like a shedding puppy in the shower last night. I think I was a little worried to detangle with a comb because I thought I would loose my curl definition and my hair would be poofy. But after I detangled I smooth through some deep condish and slept on it. This morning when I woke up I just rinsed a little out, removed any last tangles and and smooth through some of my new Bioterra curl creme :) and my hair came out so good! It's hanging better, clumping better, and the product went in so much easier.

So I'm curious, how often do you guys detangle? Should it be a once thing, or every other day?
"I'd love to kiss you, but I just washed my hair." Bette Davis, Cabin in the Cotton

~mix of 4a/b??
~my only staples are TJ Nourish (for cowash/detangling) & Lush henna (bc it's pre-mixed). everything else is still up in the air...

Comments

• natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    Since I'm participating in the bun challenge (low maniputation & protective styles) - I try not to detangle my hair more than once a week. I usually do it before my DT with heat (which is also when I shampoo) I detangle 1st with the Goody jojoba brush (pulls less than the denman). If I'm styling it to wear out I use my denman to style (clumps better than the goody, IMO) Any other time I co-wash during the week I finger comb.

I used to detangle every time I co-washed, but I think that may have been overdoing it. I think it all depends on your hair and what styles you're wearing inbetween de-tangle sessions. When I wear my hair out more often, I detangle more often because it tangles easier when I wear it out.
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • hautecocoahautecocoa Posts: 258Registered Users
    natashamck wrote: »
    Since I'm participating in the bun challenge (low maniputation & protective styles) - I try not to detangle my hair more than once a week. I usually do it before my DT with heat (which is also when I shampoo) I detangle 1st with the Goody jojoba brush (pulls less than the denman). If I'm styling it to wear out I use my denman to style (clumps better than the goody, IMO) Any other time I co-wash during the week I finger comb.

I used to detangle every time I co-washed, but I think that may have been overdoing it. I think it all depends on your hair and what styles you're wearing inbetween de-tangle sessions. When I wear my hair out more often, I detangle more often because it tangles easier when I wear it out.

I've been wearing my hair out almost everyday. I only wear a bun if I'm lazy, so maybe that's why I have more tangles too. I have a Denman but I'm still afraid of it. The few times I used it, it just seemed to pull so much hair out...
    "I'd love to kiss you, but I just washed my hair." Bette Davis, Cabin in the Cotton

~mix of 4a/b??
    ~my only staples are TJ Nourish (for cowash/detangling) & Lush henna (bc it's pre-mixed). everything else is still up in the air...
  • preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users Curl Novice
    I detangle with my wide-toothed shower comb whenever I wash or co-wash, which is 2-3 times per week. Fingercombing won't do it for me, my hair is just too coily. I use the Denman every other week or so to really get out the knots and shedded hairs.

Oh, and I wear my hair out every day.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • jcurladyjcurlady Posts: 626Registered Users Curl Novice
    I detangle once a week and I fingercomb about twice a week when I cowash. I have a comb and denman and I only use the comb if the denman isn't going through very well.

I did the same as you and thought I could fingercomb my hair and it took me 30 min to detangle my hair. I was having to take a break between sections. It came out so much better after I used my comb and denman. My rough patch in the crown of my head was even nice. You gave me a flashback.lol I'm never doing that again.
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i detangled the other day in the shower after mostly finger combing and i held most of the shed hair in the palm of my hand and i felt like i had enough hair for a whole other afro!!! it was so bummed but days later my hair is still full, no hairballs on the ends and doesn't appear to be any breakage. i detangled AFTER having a deep treatment in my hair with heat...i used the k-cutter comb and started on the ends and worked my way up. it took a while but it was worth it. to answer your question, i don't detangle enough. i should probably detangle once a week.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i detangled the other day in the shower after mostly finger combing and i held most of the shed hair in the palm of my hand and i felt like i had enough hair for a whole other afro!!! it was so bummed but days later my hair is still full, no hairballs on the ends and doesn't appear to be any breakage. i detangled AFTER having a deep treatment in my hair with heat...i used the k-cutter comb and started on the ends and worked my way up. it took a while but it was worth it. to answer your question, i don't detangle enough. i should probably detangle once a week.

All that hair did scare me too, but it feels so much better. Today it's light, bouncy, and it didn't even shrink as much.

~mix of 4a/b??
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i HAVE To detangle at least 1x per week...if not...my hair rebels and it is NOT a pretty site.

I have to constantly remind myself that we shed on average 200 hairs a day. when I finger comb, I usually don't get the shed hairs out, so at the end of the week, I have a LOT of shed hair that needs to come out. On top of that, I shed a LOT more than the 200 hairs average (i think i'm in the 300 per day range).

One thing that I have noticed, is that when I detangle regularly, i pull less hair out in the shower. I dunno if its a mind over matter thing or what.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    i HAVE To detangle at least 1x per week...if not...my hair rebels and it is NOT a pretty site.

I have to constantly remind myself that we shed on average 200 hairs a day. when I finger comb, I usually don't get the shed hairs out, so at the end of the week, I have a LOT of shed hair that needs to come out. On top of that, I shed a LOT more than the 200 hairs average (i think i'm in the 300 per day range).

One thing that I have noticed, is that when I detangle regularly, i pull less hair out in the shower. I dunno if its a mind over matter thing or what.

Hopefully most of the hair was shed hair...I thought it was weird that hardly any hair came out when I finger combed...

~mix of 4a/b??
  • maracasbeachmaracasbeach Posts: 310Registered Users
    I detangle with a wide tooth comb every 10 to 12 days as I wear my hair in 2 strand twists for that length of time before undoing for wash and deep treatment. I briefly experimented with deep treating on dry hair before my shampoo and detangling with the deep treatment before the shampoo. But I quickly discovered that my hair prefers to shampoo or co-wash, then deep treat, use heat cap, and then detangle. I also briefly experimented with a denman brush, but a wide tooth comb works better for me. My hair is growing nicely and with a lot of movement and bounce which I love. I have been relaxer free for a tad over 3 years. I am growing out a color that I put in a little over 2 years ago. My color is now on the last inch or two of my twists, so my ends are colored.
  • mslanee1mslanee1 Posts: 439Registered Users
    Finger combing does not work for me either, I might get out like 10 hairs. LOL I detangle with a wide tooth comb everytime I cowash, which if I am wearing my hair out is like twice a week. Then I detangle with my denman every two weeks or so.

It has to be done.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    i detangle once a week with my denman. this is sufficient to keep my hair clear of tangles and shed hair. plus it offers a great scalp massage! i also finger-detangle, which is beneficial and effective, but not as thorough as a denman.

each week, i brush out hair that amounts to the size of a small cotton ball. when i finger-detangle, i gently separate tangles and pull out strands that have shed and are just hanging on.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hautecocoa wrote: »

Hopefully most of the hair was shed hair...I thought it was weird that hardly any hair came out when I finger combed...

Yeah I barely get any hair out either when I finger detangle. hence the reason why i MUST detangle with a comb or paddle brush. All those shed hairs floating around are tangles just waiting to happen.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    hautecocoa wrote: »

Yeah I barely get any hair out either when I finger detangle. hence the reason why i MUST detangle with a comb or paddle brush. All those shed hairs floating around are tangles just waiting to happen.

Yup! I'm loving my hair so much more. It's bouncing and the product goes in better. I don't have those single strand tangles as much either.

~mix of 4a/b??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file