peel vs: microdermabrasion? At home kit?

squishymattersquishymatter Posts: 12Registered Users
Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can clarify for me the difference in results from a peel vs: microdermabrasion? I am probably stuck with using at home kits right now due to finances, but I know that both are available - Neutrogena or ?? I have some bumps on my skin from acne scars, some weird little whiteish bumps around my eye area, a bit of hyperpigmentation left over from my last pregnancy, and I have acne-prone skin and large pores. I don't know which would be a better option for me or what the difference is in what each would do - or should I alternate between both? Has anyone had good results from either? Thanks so much!
-karen

2c/3a - finally found my hair groove, yay!

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    my June column - link through CURLucopia above - is about peels.

i do lactic acid peels and have had microdermabrasion too.

and i have kits for both at home.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i have both the neutrogena microdermbrasion and neutrogena facial peel and i alternate between both. the results are not dramatic but i do feel like my skin is improving especially since i use it consistently....
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • squishymattersquishymatter Posts: 12Registered Users
    That was a helpful article Rouquinne, thanks! So am I correct in thinking that the microdermabrasion is more for softening skin texture and fine lines and the peels work better on discoloration? Are there any specific at-home brands that you would reccomend over others? That are affordable hopefully? Is the lactic acid better than glycolic?

Luvmylocs, how often do you alternate between both, and how much time do you need to leave between doing each one? How long have you been using them for and how much improvement do you see?

Thanks so much for your advice, I appreciate it!
    :)
    -karen

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    glycolic acid peels are actually more effective, but because i'm allergic to aspirin, the place where i get my professional ones done uses lactic acid on me instead. over the past year, the discolouration i've had has been greatly reduced through peels and scrubs.

at home i use the Avon glycolic kit and the scrub from NeoStrata. i would like to get the mechanical kit from Neutrogena because i've heard good things about it.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    i use the facial peel about 2x a week and the scrub 2-3x a week....if i'm going good and keeping up. there's no burning (i have VERY oily skin so my skin can tolerate it)....

go look at makeupalley.com for peels and microdermabrasion and you can find some recommendations....pay attention to the feedback from people who say they have skin like yours....

oil of olay has a microdermabrasion/peel kit....it seems like a good product...haven't read the reviews yet.

i also have the 55% lactic acid peel from makeup artists cosmetics....it's strong and a little more time consuming but a good quality peel for weekly use.

good luck!!
    delete
    delete
    delete
    i just read the reviews on makeupalley.com for the Olay Regenerist Microdermabrasion and Peel Kit and when i run out of my neutrogena that is what i'm going to try!!
    I just read that too - definitely going to pick that one up next time I am at the store - lemme know what you think of it, k?
    -karen

I just got the glycolic peel I ordered from MUAC in the mail today, so bummed that I have to wait to try it out - I have a cold, and all the tissue I've been using on my poor nose has made my skin sore, so I need to wait until my skin heals from that. Will definitely try it out next week though.
    -k
    -karen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file