Any tips on how i can flat iron my hair w/out ruining my curls?

KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
I think ive put too much heat on my hair. My hair is curly ay the roots but towards the middle of my hair its just wavy
4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
-Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
-KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
-Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent

Comments

• celeste821celeste821 Posts: 348Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kynnib wrote: »
    I think ive put too much heat on my hair. My hair is curly ay the roots but towards the middle of my hair its just wavy

check out this website
    http://www.ubhpublications.com/hairTips/AppliancesToolsA.html#3
  • roccmycurlsroccmycurls Posts: 85Registered Users
    Don't folks around here use that MaxiGlide thing? Maybe someone can give you advice on how to use that.
    the hair revolution continues... 9 yrs. & counting....:blob7:

BCs: July '99, March '04, June '04, Sept. '04 whenever I get bored.... LOL!

products that work for me:
    homemade aloe vera/jojo/glyc/ honey/coconut oil gel
    Giovanni 50/50
    Miss Jessie's DT,
    Jessi Curl WDT

mantra: "Growth Comes Easily & Effortlessly"

PHOTOS:
    http://public.fotki.com/roccmycurls/
  • chicacanelachicacanela Posts: 184Registered Users
    Well, one thing you NEED to invest in is a good heat protectant. i like the one by silk elements, i have heard raves on beyond the zones turn up the heat(which has the exact same ingredients as silk elements, though SE has a few more beneficial ones). fantasia ic offers one in a pink bottle, which is good, and i recently tried out garnier's sleek and shine serum, which performed surprisingly well.

next, make sure you're using a flat iron that has full ceramic plates. not ceramic coated, but full ceramic. ones like fhi that offer the titanium and nano technology and all that, seem like something to look into too. i have a fhi, and it works very nicely.

thirdly, make sure that you pre-stretch your hair. this step is crucial!!!!!it helps prevent the need to swipe the iron too often, which increases your chances of heat damage. it can also eliminate the need to blow dry, which saves your hair even more grief.

you can stretch any way you please. make sure to fully detangle your hair. just seperate your hair into manageable sections, apply leave in and then your chosen serum/heat protectant, and make a snug ponytal with the little section, and band down the length with ouchless ponytail holders. air dry 100%, so that you don't flat iron damp hair. you can aply a dab of heat protectant before you flat iron.

-remember, heat styling begins when you first shampoo and condition your hair. try and use a smoothing shampoo and conditioner, and also do a moisturizing or strengthening DT before you flat iron.
    3c/4a 100% natural:bunny:
    I :love8: Tahitian Monoi Oil.
    Current Faves: Dr. Bronner's Organic Shikakai Soap (hands, face and hair), Cabellina del Cabello, Eco Styler with Argan oil, Sesame seed oil
    Conditioner Only Method.
    http://public.fotki.com/peabella
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Posts: 827Registered Users
    Well, one thing you NEED to invest in is a good heat protectant. i like the one by silk elements, i have heard raves on beyond the zones turn up the heat(which has the exact same ingredients as silk elements, though SE has a few more beneficial ones). fantasia ic offers one in a pink bottle, which is good, and i recently tried out garnier's sleek and shine serum, which performed surprisingly well.

next, make sure you're using a flat iron that has full ceramic plates. not ceramic coated, but full ceramic. ones like fhi that offer the titanium and nano technology and all that, seem like something to look into too. i have a fhi, and it works very nicely.

thirdly, make sure that you pre-stretch your hair. this step is crucial!!!!!it helps prevent the need to swipe the iron too often, which increases your chances of heat damage. it can also eliminate the need to blow dry, which saves your hair even more grief.

you can stretch any way you please. make sure to fully detangle your hair. just seperate your hair into manageable sections, apply leave in and then your chosen serum/heat protectant, and make a snug ponytal with the little section, and band down the length with ouchless ponytail holders. air dry 100%, so that you don't flat iron damp hair. you can aply a dab of heat protectant before you flat iron.

-remember, heat styling begins when you first shampoo and condition your hair. try and use a smoothing shampoo and conditioner, and also do a moisturizing or strengthening DT before you flat iron.

This is very helpful, thank you! As far as heat protectants, what should I be looking for? what ingredients protect against heat? do cones protect? I've been meaning to start a thread asking this.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • chicacanelachicacanela Posts: 184Registered Users
    Hi MissKinkyCoil!!

Almost all heat protectants are full of cones. They are plastics, and they coat the hair shaft, protecting from heat. You will almost always see cyclopentasiloxane(which is a very thin cone, and helps make the other cones easier to spread, sort of like a silicone diluter), maybe dimethicone, and neopentyl glycol dietylhexanoate. These all coat the hair.

I have tried silk elements megasilk heat protection spray, and i really like it. it has all of the silicones, but also vitamin e and silk protein. my curls have always reverted right back. i usually flat iron from 300-375 in very small(no bigger than an inch long or a 1/2 inch thick) and always get silky results, with nice looking ends. using small sections is the key.
    3c/4a 100% natural:bunny:
    I :love8: Tahitian Monoi Oil.
    Current Faves: Dr. Bronner's Organic Shikakai Soap (hands, face and hair), Cabellina del Cabello, Eco Styler with Argan oil, Sesame seed oil
    Conditioner Only Method.
    http://public.fotki.com/peabella
  • JadesFavsJadesFavs Posts: 1Registered Users
    The right straightener can mean everything. The temperature setting, size and quality are very important. I like the Karmins and CHI's in particular. It's hard to ruin your hair if you start with the best product for your particular hair. There's a lot of tips on this site's blog - http://www.myhairstylingtools.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file