"In God We Trust"

sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
On money, does this bother you?

Sorry those are the only two options. I meant to include undecided but entered it before officially clicking add option so it didn't show up.
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It doesn't bother me, even though I'm not religous. Some things should just be left alone after such a long time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Actually, In God We Trust has only been on US coins since 1864.

Besides, the argument we should leave things alone if they lasted a long time means that we should still have slavery, women shouldn't be allowed to vote, etc.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is a pet peeve. It must -- and will eventually -- go!
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    Seperation of church and state....anyone know what that means?
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • Little Miss Snarky BooyahLittle Miss Snarky Booyah Posts: 452Registered Users
    I just think if it said something like "In Goddess we trust" or even "In Satan we trust", those of us who do trust in God might understand why those of us who don't can be/are very upset by it.
    You are an evil biatch, evil. Your life must suck!

http://booyahlicious.blogspot.com/
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I kind of like that you guys have it on your money - when I use US money, it is a nice reminder that money is not everything and is not where you should put your faith. But I guess I am indifferent to whether or not it should remain on there.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I don't really care. I'm a Christian; it isn't like I'm going to forget that if it isn't plastered all over our money, or if God isn't mentioned in the Pledge of Allegiance, or if prayer isn't allowed in school or whatever.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • ScaryCurlScaryCurl Posts: 138Registered Users
    I just think if it said something like "In Goddess we trust" or even "In Satan we trust", those of us who do trust in God might understand why those of us who don't can be/are very upset by it.

I don't see the comparison. Whether or not you believe in either one, it's common knowledge that God represents good and Satan represents evil.

I voted nay, but doesn't matter to me either way even though I am a Christian. Money is supposedly the root of all evil, so I don't know if I'd want my name or picture on it. :lol:
    Hair type: 3C. Favorite products for the moment: CONDITIONER: Elucence MBC, LEAVE-IN COND: Curls Rock. CURL ENHANCER: Frederic Fekkai Luscious Curls. GEL: Ouidad Climate Control (HG), FINISHING: Frederic Fekkai Glossing Creme.
  • atlantisrisingatlantisrising Posts: 263Registered Users
    People try to say that it means an ambiguous god but we know that isn't true and even if it were, what about the people with more than one god? It really isn't fair. People should be able to govern their religious affairs on their own. There is no need to force it upon them at every turn in their lives. Then again, I rarely use cash anymore, anyway :lol:

For instance, the way schools are now, you can pray if you want to, you just cannot be forced to pray. I think that is fair. Students have religious clubs and are given the option to join, not forced to join.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    For instance, the way schools are now, you can pray if you want to, you just cannot be forced to pray. I think that is fair. Students have religious clubs and are given the option to join, not forced to join.

Exactly.

My dad was one of those who was regularly punished for refusing to pray to Jesus when his teachers tried to force prayer on students in public schools. He had one of those teachers who wouldn't accept that he was not Christian at the time of the Supreme Court ruling on the matter.

That's far different from *allowing* students to pray.

And, really, when I think about it, it is kind of forcing religion on people to have it on money. It doesn't bother me, but I can see where it would bother people who don't agree on G-d. Then again, for me, in many ways it's showing disrespect for G-d's name, that it's written out and money's thrown around, dropped, etc.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

Exactly. To say there isn't prayer in school is just stupid. OF COURSE there is prayer in school...if there's Christian teacher or kid in that school, there's prayer in that school.

And why would a true Christian want to FORCE someone to pray anyway?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote:

Because it's like any other religion-there are those who claim to be Christian, who do not fit the basis of what the religion should be. Unfortunately, those who are willing to behave in such a way tend to shout loudest, and get the most attention for it.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • BIGBRETBIGBRET Posts: 24Registered Users
    Money isn't the root of all evil. Greed is! and greed is a human quality. Money is simply the means by which that greed is expressed. As for removing it. I voted nay. Whatever this country has become, we should not loose sight of where it started. The founding fathers were religious people. They and the generations that followed are the ones responsible for this countries existence. Lets honor them and there sacrifices and leave the Phrase were it is.
    "We share the same biology regardless of ideology" -Sting-
    NetG wrote:
    PartyHair wrote:

Because it's like any other religion-there are those who claim to be Christian, who do not fit the basis of what the religion should be. Unfortunately, those who are willing to behave in such a way tend to shout loudest, and get the most attention for it.

That's why I said "true Christian". True Christians would never do such a thing.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Even if the founding fathers were religious, they still specified freedom of religion and separation of church and state. This is not separation. I don't know why we are pretending with those clauses. I don't know why the govt just doesn't do away with them, they are encroaching on them anyway.

That way, the Creflo Dollars and the Pat Robertsons of the country can give their due chunk of change to the govt and maybe we can really get something done with these schools and homeless folks. Well, maybe that's the reason right there, they don't want to give up a chunk of their businesses.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    BIGBRET wrote:
    Money isn't the root of all evil. Greed is! and greed is a human quality. Money is simply the means by which that greed is expressed. As for removing it. I voted nay. Whatever this country has become, we should not loose sight of where it started. The founding fathers were religious people. They and the generations that followed are the ones responsible for this countries existence. Lets honor them and there sacrifices and leave the Phrase were it is.

Actually, the first Americans were the aboriginals/Natives, who were religious, but in a very different faith than Christianity, and they are responsible for the country's existence along with many other peoples, such as Africans who came from Muslim or animistic traditions, and many Asian workers who were Buddhists or Confucians or ancestor worshippers.... it was the aboriginals, the slaves and the immigrants (mostly the slaves) who actually put in the groundwork to make the US the superpower that it is while others gave lip service to Christian ideals they were not necessarily following.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    ScaryCurl wrote:
    I don't see the comparison. Whether or not you believe in either one, it's common knowledge that God represents good and Satan represents evil.

No, it's not common knowledge. I don't think "God" represents good! ESPECIALLY the the way the Christian god is generally portrayed (Christian views on homosexuality are my example for this. I don't think anything that promotes intolerance is good).

But, OK, I'll give you that it's not the same as saying "In Satan We Trust". But how about "In Zeus We Trust", or "In Science and Evolution we Trust", or like the other example you didn't mention "In Goddess We Turst", or even "In Allah We Trust" (I know people say that Allah means the same thing as god, but I still think people would have an issue with it in this country).
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    How about "In Gucci we Trust"?
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    When someone has a problem with "In God We Trust" on money, I certainly don't see them having a problem accepting that money! :x
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    When someone has a problem with "In God We Trust" on money, I certainly don't see them having a problem accepting that money! :x

Nope, I don't have much choice if I want to feed my kids, right? So, for now, I will just have to accept the fact that some christians don't respect other's beliefs or lack thereof, now won't I?

I wonder why some christians don't have a problem with idolatry on money, such as the All Seeing Eye of Providence which can be traced back to The Eye of Horus? I guess we pick and choose our battles because christians have to eat, too.

[Disclaimer: I am not saying that all christians don't respect other's beliefs, just some]
  • BIGBRETBIGBRET Posts: 24Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    Actually, the first Americans were the aboriginals/Natives, who were religious, but in a very different faith than Christianity, and they are responsible for the country's existence along with many other peoples, such as Africans who came from Muslim or animistic traditions, and many Asian workers who were Buddhists or Confucians or ancestor worshippers.... it was the aboriginals, the slaves and the immigrants (mostly the slaves) who actually put in the groundwork to make the US the superpower that it is while others gave lip service to Christian ideals they were not necessarily following.

Yes! There were groups here before Columbus, and the many white men that followed. Still giving them credit for the foundation of this country. Hmmmm....let me think....ah! NOOOO!...it was the white men who wrote the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, it was white men who negotiated the Louisiana land purchase, and it was white men who tamed the west. I am not saying that they did not steal it from the natives or use the slaves as a labor force to do it. Still giving those groups credit for the construction of the greatest government and country in the world is a bit of a long stretch. Even for you. Oh! Don't forget that it was a Liberal white man who decided to go to war for the ethnic minorities’ freedoms.

I know I am starting to sound like an Arian brother. Well believe I am not. Giving credit for building this countries foundation to aborigines and natives. :roll:
    "We share the same biology regardless of ideology" -Sting-
  • PhDCowPhDCow Posts: 1,621Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The cynical part of me voted to remove it because of the church-state issue.

However, since I rarely have money in my possession, it's not that big of a deal.

Does it offend me as a Witch? I know that the majority of the US is Christian, so it's a majority wins type of thing. As long as no one questions my right to use and hold money because of my beliefs, then it doesn't bother me.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I thought "In God we trust" wasn't on money until the 1950s (Red Scare), or was that just paper money?

I don't like it on the money, but what choice do I have? The US is a Christian nation, even though many Christians like to pretend it isn't. The fact that some say it isn't referring to a Christian God is a joke. If it referred to some other God, I am sure there would be an uproar in the Christian community. Unfortunately we have to accept what the majority religion wants.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
    mazey wrote:
    I thought "In God we trust" wasn't on money until the 1950s (Red Scare), or was that just paper money?

I don't like it on the money, but what choice do I have? The US is a Christian nation, even though many Christians like to pretend it isn't. The fact that some say it isn't referring to a Christian God is a joke. If it referred to some other God, I am sure there would be an uproar in the Christian community. Unfortunately we have to accept what the majority religion wants.

Exactly.
  • urbancurlurbancurl Posts: 980Registered Users
    I voted, Take It Off!!!!!! :D

I was posting about this in another thread-- seeing that "In God We Trust" was part of many things that seemed peculiar to me when I was growing up. So was being expected to say the Pledge of Allegiance ( I refused and the teacher called my mom. Mom was on my side even though she's Christian!), and the thing about God when you are sworn in at a court room... I knew many people didn't believe in God and some believed in other Gods.

God everywhere just did not compute for me, especially once I learned about the supposed separation of church and state. I felt pretty alienated. Don't worry, I've come to terms with it and realized that this is one of many things I must accept if I continue to choose to live in this country, and it is surely not at the top of my list of battles to fight! It's simply evidence that this is an overwhelmingly Christian society.

I actually had to go to court today-- When I swear I will tell the truth, so help me God, but I don't believe in that God, does that mean that actually, I don't have to tell the truth since I don't believe in the Christian God they're referring to? I reeeaaaalllly wanted to say the Trustee, "Um, but what if you don't believe in God? Can I just shake on it or something?"

One answer to my own question is that I am choosing to swear to the Higher Power (that I sometimes call God) of MY understanding that I will tell the truth. Another answer is that I don't want to lie in court or elsewhere, so you can have me swear to God, to my mother, or to the ice cream man and my answer will be the same.

I suppose there is nothing you could choose that every American would agree upon-- someone would have a problem with "In Air We Trust." Personally, I like, "In Curls We Trust!"
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
    urbancurl wrote:
    Personally, I like, "In Curls We Trust!"

I think you're on to something here! :lol:
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    LibbyLiz wrote:

Nope, I don't have much choice if I want to feed my kids, right? So, for now, I will just have to accept the fact that some christians don't respect other's beliefs or lack thereof, now won't I?

I wonder why some christians don't have a problem with idolatry on money, such as the All Seeing Eye of Providence which can be traced back to The Eye of Horus? I guess we pick and choose our battles because christians have to eat, too.

[Disclaimer: I am not saying that all christians don't respect other's beliefs, just some]

Yup. It's a "pick your battles" issue with me too. I'm an atheist, and I really don't give a damn what it says on my money, just that it pays my mortgage and my grocery bills.

If I got haughty over every little thing that pushed Christianity in my face, being offended would become my full-time job.
  • LayaliLayali Posts: 561Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's widely speculated that the "God" referred to in the founding documents was not the Christian God. Many of the founding fathers, including Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin, were Deists. They believed in God, but a God of reason, morality and nature, not one of revelation as is in the bible.

There is definitely evidence to suggest that this country was not founded on Christian principles.
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • urbancurlurbancurl Posts: 980Registered Users
    Layali wrote:
    It's widely speculated that the "God" referred to in the founding documents was not the Christian God. Many of the founding fathers, including Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin, were Deists. They believed in God, but a God of reason, morality and nature, not one of revelation as is in the bible.

There is definitely evidence to suggest that this country was not founded on Christian principles.

I like that description of "God."

But even if that was what was originally meant, I get the feeling that it means Christian God today.
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • Little Miss Snarky BooyahLittle Miss Snarky Booyah Posts: 452Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote:
    ScaryCurl wrote:

No, it's not common knowledge. I don't think "God" represents good! ESPECIALLY the the way the Christian god is generally portrayed (Christian views on homosexuality are my example for this. I don't think anything that promotes intolerance is good).

But, OK, I'll give you that it's not the same as saying "In Satan We Trust". But how about "In Zeus We Trust", or "In Science and Evolution we Trust", or like the other example you didn't mention "In Goddess We Turst", or even "In Allah We Trust" (I know people say that Allah means the same thing as god, but I still think people would have an issue with it in this country).

Word.

And for the record, there are some people who believe very strongly in the existence and supremecy of Satan. But I would have a knee-jerk reaction to someone trying to put that on money.

For my own personal belief, I don't really care. I believe in separation of church and state and don't see our money as falling into that category. Like so many others say, we live in a predominantly (at least outspokenly) Christian society. I'm not going to rally to get it changed, but I would support the change, you know?
    You are an evil biatch, evil. Your life must suck!

http://booyahlicious.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file