My sensitivities....lavendar update.....

rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
I thought I'd update you on my sensitivities. Still chemically sensitive LOL. But I've discovered I'm not as sensitive to lavendar as I thought.

First of all, I discovered a sensitivity to lavendar when I was using Paul Mitchell Lavendar mint shampoo and condish. I started to break out in itches/hives when I used it. So I thought it was the lavendar in it too, besides the chemicals.

Well, I recently discovered that my shea mix for hair I got online that I LOOOOOOVVVVE has lavendar in it. And one of the soaps I got from CV has it too. I did a patch test of all the soaps today, and no breakouts AT ALL. From any of the four, even the one with the lavendar. So I'm fairly sure it was the chemicals in the Lavendar mint, not the lavendar. I'll still patch test to be sure though for awhile, especially since my MHC organic cream that had lavendar/lavendin in it DID make me itch. But the kind that CV uses seems to be ok.

All this means that I'm a happy camper, since I love the smell of lavendar. And this means too that there's a good possibility that I'll be able to use the cafe moreno bar that darkens hair! WOO HOO!!!!! I'll be placing another CV order probably tomorrow. I'll be patch testing that one for sure too.

Just wanted to share!
Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Low poo: looking
COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
RO: varies
Protein: CJCF or CJRM
DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
LI: varies, usually KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Great! Lavender is used so frequently, that I imagine it would be hard to avoid. I wonder if it is the difference between lavender essential oil and perfume?
    Or the combination of lavender with other ingredients?
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it was the lavendin in the organic cream, and that's a blend of two different lavendars. The lavendar in the shea blend I have is organic. I'm pretty sure the one in the CV bar is too. Maybe I can use one lavendar kind and not the other. Who knows.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It can be frustrating. I have rosacea and reactive skin, so I know how you feel. Unless you use something that is a single ingredient (which is so rare) you never know what is bothering you or if it is a combination of things.
    Now I try to be very careful about samples for everything. I don't know how many times I bought full sizes of products that I tried in the stores and then after two days, had an awful reaction.
    For me, the sun or heat (fever, hotflashes, spicy food flushes, exercise, etc.) can also increase my reaction. I wonder if you have a secondary trigger like that?
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

It can be frustrating. I have rosacea and reactive skin, so I know how you feel. Unless you use something that is a single ingredient (which is so rare) you never know what is bothering you or if it is a combination of things.
    Now I try to be very careful about samples for everything. I don't know how many times I bought full sizes of products that I tried in the stores and then after two days, had an awful reaction.
    For me, the sun or heat (fever, hotflashes, spicy food flushes, exercise, etc.) can also increase my reaction. I wonder if you have a secondary trigger like that?

I know for a fact I have a secondary trigger. Sun, heat, exercise, even coming in out of the cold and the extremes in temperatures cause it, though I have to think that that is from heat as well. I've wasted so much money too.....it's very frustrating.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    hello another sensitive person here! It is frustrating trying to work out what is causing the problem. I even had allergy tests done and reacted to everything. I have trouble with a lot of essential oils which does knock out so many of the natural products.

I used ACV this morning and OMG my head really was not impressed. It is rather sore.

I find my hair also falls out more if I put some thing on it that it doesn't like.
    How much ACV did you use? I only use a couple tablespoons in 4 cups of water, and then rinse rinse rinse.

I learned just to assume I need fragrance-free everything. Safer that way.

Although, I have to say, I tried the Terressentials fragrance free skincare samples, and they were ok. The toner I am not confident about. They explain why it is safer than a product with the common version of witch hazel, but I am still wary. I don't know why, I didn't have any negative reactions.
    The facial wash and the moisture lotion were very mild. Some of the mildest stuff I've used.
    CG since '08.

• FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    2 tablespoons in a cup of warm water. It really stung as I poured it over.

The fragrance is definately an issue. The smellier a product, the worse I react. Very annoying when my hair likes a product and my skin complains!

Clarins skin care is the only skin care I can use. I react to alot of the natural stuff.
    Hi Feralcurls....

With me, it's usually not the natural stuff, but there are exceptions. It's everything chemical that bothers me, scents though being a major contributor. Some of that includes EO's, so I tend to try only the lightest scents. Occasionally I get a wild hair and try something stronger scented. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's not.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file